RamWraith is offline Registered User

Haslett's interview already done

By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    01/06/2009

The timing may have been odd. Then again, the Rams had to formally interview Jim Haslett at some point for their head-coaching job.

According to league sources, that interview took place Monday in Los Angeles.

Because Haslett is a finalist for the job, team owners Chip Rosenbloom and Lucia Rodriguez took part in the interview, as well as general manager Billy Devaney and senior advisor John Shaw.

Haslett is hoping to come back as head coach after taking over for the fired Scott Linehan one month into the 2008 season. After winning their first two games under Haslett, the Rams finished the season with 10 straight losses.

But the team was noticeably better down the stretch. Four of the Rams’ final five games were decided by four points or less, with the Rams unable to hold late leads against Seattle (Dec. 14), San Francisco (Dec. 21) and Atlanta (Dec. 28).

Neither Devaney nor Haslett could be reached for comment.

Nine days into the offseason, only one other interview is known to have taken place. And that was a preliminary interview with Green Bay assistant head coach-linebackers Winston Moss on Saturday.

Former New York Giants head coach Jim Fassel is scheduled for a preliminary interview in St. Louis on Thursday.

Only Devaney, former NFL personnel executive Bobby Beathard, and Rams director of player personnel Lawrence McCutcheon sit in on the preliminary interviews.

Club ownership participates in interviews involving finalists.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Re: Haslett's interview already done

well id say theres 2 ways to look at this..

A) They want Haslett..got the "Rooney rule" candidate in Winston Moss in so they could now announce Haslett the new HC.

B) They not sure Haslett is the right man but felt like they owed him the courtesy of interviewing him due to his efforts last year and listening to see what he would change..(see previous statements off Devaney saying how Haslett would have to "come up with ideas to radically change all areas") and if Has dont convince them if his plan,then they can finally move on and look elsewhere,full steam ahead.

although the details may be a lil different..im thinking its B!

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

I can see the logic in both interpretations, RR, but it may mean nothing more than he's available right now & has had enough time to put together his case.

It could also mean that they are viewing him as the incumbent and using his case as a standard by which to judge the challengers.

Then again, maybe it's purely courtesy & they want to cut him loose early enough to be in contention for one of the other jobs out there.

Or...perhaps it's all just a smokescreen for his secret Dancing With The Stars audition in LA.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

We have an interview with Fassel.

We also are interested in the Spags, Schwartz, and Ryan, who are all in the playoffs.

I'm assuming we interviewed the Haz because he has nothing to do.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

I am sure that Haslett is happy to get the interview over with. His performance this year will be evaluated and his attitude and opinions during this unknown phase will be looked at when they try to figure out if he is the right man for the job.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

bigredman is offline Registered User

Oh my God...I won....I WON....

Oh my...I'm shaking so.....I just want to thank
    everyone who believes in fairies and puppy kisses
    and most of all, my players who love me so
    I LOVE YOU TOO....Oh my, I think I'm going to faint!
    Last edited by bigredman; -01-07-2009 at 12:50 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblin` Ram View Post
    well id say theres 2 ways to look at this..

A) They want Haslett..got the "Rooney rule" candidate in Winston Moss in so they could now announce Haslett the new HC.
    Not the case, I don't think. A lot of the candidates mentioned in reference to the Rams coaching vacancy are minority. Moss, Rivera and Leslie Frazier are the first that spring to mind, and I think there's more. I don't think they're going to that extent simply to avert the Rooney Rule. Personally, I like Moss and if Devaney is convinced he can translate his reported "wow" factor in the interview process to a Head Coaching role the let it be.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblin' Ram
    B) They not sure Haslett is the right man but felt like they owed him the courtesy of interviewing him due to his efforts last year and listening to see what he would change..(see previous statements off Devaney saying how Haslett would have to "come up with ideas to radically change all areas") and if Has dont convince them if his plan,then they can finally move on and look elsewhere,full steam ahead.
    That's more like it. The Rams covering all their bases as part of an exhaustive search for our next HC.

Guam rammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman View Post
    Oh my God...I won....I WON....

Oh my...I'm shaking so.....I just want to thank
    everyone who believes in fairies and puppy kisses
    and most of all, my players who love me so
    I LOVE YOU TOO....Oh my, I think I'm going to faint!
    OMG that is some really funny, funny, shh@#$@#@#@t!!! Thanks for the laugh red.