Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    moloch41 Guest

Re: Hate to burst that bubble - BUT

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    If Haslett should have been fired every defensive coach who has played a prevent defense should be,
    I would tend to agree with you here!!! Fire them all!!!

But honestly- that game yesterday was a lot more important to this franchise that most run of the mill games blown by the prevent defense. It would have been a devastating loss and for what? So our defensive coordinator can go back to his philosophy of playing not to lose? It would have been a completely wasted effort when a team is looking for absolutely anything to hang their hats on.

moloch41 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Pang View Post

No.

What was observed, was that with a lead of 34-7 and changes to the pass protect scheme, Haslett laid off the blitz and went into prevent mode.

That could be the biggest reach yet.

But that lead dwindled away very quickly and he did nothing to change what he was doing and we could have blown a 27 pt lead and lost the game. The bottom line is that their team made an adjustment and ours just sat back and crossed their fingers. And my point was that IF there was a way to counter what the Saints were doing- why didn't Haslett do it? He's either incapable of making in game adjustments or the Saints came up with some top secret, never done before formation that could easily score every time they get the ball.

moloch41 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    The meltdown in the fourth falls squarely on Haslett.
    I think that's the point of everyone that criticizes this coaching staff.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post
    I think that's the point of everyone that criticizes this coaching staff.
    In all fairness to Haslett, he also deserves credit for what happened in the first 3 quarters. His attacking, aggessive game plan was great and showed what his defense is capable of. Unfortunately, he made a tactical error with a big lead in calling off the dogs and giving the Saints a chance get into a rhythm. I'm hoping we don't see that again with an entire quarter to go.

moloch41 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    In all fairness to Haslett, he also deserves credit for what happened in the first 3 quarters. His attacking, aggessive game plan was great and showed what his defense is capable of. Unfortunately, he made a tactical error with a big lead in calling off the dogs and giving the Saints a chance get into a rhythm. I'm hoping we don't see that again with an entire quarter to go.

I'm hoping right there with ya, but he has a habit of calling a really aggresive game and then laying off.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Dez, I hate to say it but I was thinking the same thing. I am happy with the win and all however our secondary got torn apart in the second half. We did not look even half way decent in coverage, and the bad thing is the Saints had injuries. Again, we scored more points and prevailed, but it did get ridiculously close.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    Dez, I hate to say it but I was thinking the same thing. I am happy with the win and all however our secondary got torn apart in the second half. We did not look even half way decent in coverage, and the bad thing is the Saints had injuries. Again, we scored more points and prevailed, but it did get ridiculously close.
    The secondary got shredded in the fourth quarter, not the entire second half. In the third quarter the defense allowed the Saints a grand total of 12 yards. The fourth quarter debacle was the result of Haslett backing off and giving the Saints anything they wanted short and underneath, which they took full advantage of. Can't blame the guys on the field for that.

Rambos is offline Registered User

The secondary got shredded in the fourth quarter, not the entire second half. In the third quarter the defense allowed the Saints a grand total of 12 yards. The fourth quarter debacle was the result of Haslett backing off and giving the Saints anything they wanted short and underneath, which they took full advantage of. Can't blame the guys on the field for that.
    Yep yep, thats what I saw.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by R8rh8rmike View Post
    ...In the third quarter the defense allowed the Saints a grand total of 12 yards. The fourth quarter debacle was the result of Haslett backing off and giving the Saints anything they wanted short and underneath, which they took full advantage of.
    Coach Haslett must have been teasing his former people of N.O.!

Seriously, that so-called 'prevent' tactic should be the last we see of, even if we do find ourselves 20+ points ahead again in the 4th. Which I would certainly like to see!

JH got the game ball but I'm saying he learned the lesson more instead.

Javaman Guest

Everyone seems to be blaming the defense that this game was close at the end. Remember this was the 6th ranked offense that the rams were playing. I think everyone expected a high scoring game. Their defense was rated lower than the rams defense and they were missing both starting defensive ends and a linebacker yet we only scored 3 points on them in the 4th quarter after scoring 34 in the first three quarters. Just maybe the offense went into a prevent too. It is a team game, rams won, they beat a good team, everyone should be happy instead of complaining that the other team scored too many points against a prevent defense!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Javaman View Post
    Everyone seems to be blaming the defense that this game was close at the end. Remember this was the 6th ranked offense that the rams were playing. I think everyone expected a high scoring game. Their defense was rated lower than the rams defense and they were missing both starting defensive ends and a linebacker yet we only scored 3 points on them in the 4th quarter after scoring 34 in the first three quarters. Just maybe the offense went into a prevent too. It is a team game, rams won, they beat a good team, everyone should be happy instead of complaining that the other team scored too many points against a prevent defense!!!
    You've got to admit, watching Haslett allow the Saints to march up and down the field and into the endzone with an extremely soft defense on all 3 possessions in the 4th was frustrating.

As for the offense, I don't think you can really say they went into prevent. They scored 7 in the 1st, 10 in the second, 10 in the third and 10 in the fourth. Other than the end of each half, they scored on 7 of 9 possessions and only punted twice. Not much to complain about there.

You're right though, we should all be happy about a win, period.

Javaman Guest

You've got to admit, watching Haslett allow the Saints to march up and down the field and into the endzone with an extremely soft defense on all 3 possessions in the 4th was frustrating.

As for the offense, I don't think you can really say they went into prevent. They scored 7 in the 1st, 10 in the second, 10 in the third and 10 in the fourth. Other than the end of each half, they scored on 7 of 9 possessions and only punted twice. Not much to complain about there.

You're right though, we should all be happy about a win, period.

It was frustrating watching the 4th quarter but I never expected the defense to play so well the first three quarters. The defensive strategy worked very well against a very good offense. It gave the Rams good field position and prevented a very good offense from scoring after an early return. It is just a shame that they switched srategies and did what most defensive coordinators would have done (going to a prevent). This is not a strong defense(often playing with 2 rookie defensive tackles), yet they are starting to develope a swagger which thru 3 quarters yesterday was fun to watch. The offense played well. Linehan has got some magic going with the offense again. I expected nothing from the defense before the game and was thrilled with the way they played. They held the 6th ranked offense to just over 300 total yards and
    THE RAMS WON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Javaman View Post
    This is not a strong defense(often playing with 2 rookie defensive tackles), yet they are starting to develope a swagger which thru 3 quarters yesterday was fun to watch.
    Good point. I agree that these guys are starting to realize that they can make plays and be an opportunistic group.

moloch41 Guest

I was very pleased with the defensive play and strategy through 3 quarters and I don't credit the poor showing in the 4th to the play as much as I do the strategy. It was a poor decision to go into a prevent that early as it almost wound up costing us the game. Yes, there was a bad call on the refs with that one obvious fumble by Bush, but Haslett had to stop the prevent and go back to what was working when the score starting getting startlingly close and he didn't do it. I'm just worried that he'll do the same in a game where we don't have such a commanding lead. It's obvious that our team doesn't play well when we only rush four- we need to blitz.

blood85 Guest

I'm just glad we won "A" game and are of the SCHNIDE.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast