Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Hating Linehan is similar to Rams fans hating Vermiel in 98

The whole Vermiel argument is absurd.

Yes, Vermiel had a bad first two years.

Yes, Vermiel won the Super Bowl in year 3.

Does that mean that every HC that has a bad first two years should be maintained?

Of course not.

That would be like saying the best place to find a QB is by looking on the waiver wire for former Arena League players.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by faulk2jackson View Post
    he took a losing team to a 500 record last year......like it or not he will be here another year so support the rams. and what if Linehan succeeds next year then what would you say? like i said im not a Linehan supporter but he did adopt a losing team. we were a 54 yard field goal away from winning our division last year. does that not deserve another chance?

The Rams were also a massive Scott Linehan coaching brain fart away from winning the division last year...or are you going to forget how he bucked common coaching wisdom at Seattle, chose not to kick a almost certain Wilkins figgie, went for it on 4th down instead, and failed. Ultimately the Rams lose on another late Seattle field goal.

itsguud is offline Registered User

What if we are not able or willing to sign any of those big time coaches. (which we wont be with teams like Seattle looking for new coaches). I am all for hiring Cowher but it will not happen.....then what?
    What exaclty makes you think "teams like Seatle" have a better chance of landing a proven coach then us? And who are the "teams" you speak of... if they lose coaches then there are even more coaches available. The Rams are a team with huge potential, any proven or veteran NFL coach would be able to see, and most likely already know that. The type of team a HC would enjoy to take. IMO

faulk2jackson Guest

Quote Originally Posted by itsguud View Post
    What exaclty makes you think "teams like Seatle" have a better chance of landing a proven coach then us? And who are the "teams" you speak of... if they lose coaches then there are even more coaches available. The Rams are a team with huge potential, any proven or veteran NFL coach would be able to see, and most likely already know that. The type of team a HC would enjoy to take. IMO
    the teams i speak of are teams like the ***** and Seattle and possibly other firings or retirements that may occur in the ranks of coaches at the season end...

You ask why does Seattle have a better chance of landing a big coach then us? Lets see.....1. 4 division titles in a row and a super bowl appearance in the last 4 years. (including this year) 2. Paul Allen is their owner......enough said... 3. Doesnt it seem football matters more in Seattle then it ever did in St Louis? Personally i wouldnt blame any coach for going to Seattle over us.

Schottenheimer and Cowher will only come out of retirement for "BIG MONEY".....will we be able to match the price? Owners like Paul Allen would laugh and respond "Who St Louis?".

REALITY REALITY REALITY.........Linehan is here to stay.........Support our general for one more battle because the war has not been lost yet.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Well, I'll put it this way. I felt bad for Vermeil because he had absolutely no talent when he took over the Rams. Linehan had a stable full of talent but injuries have hurt him THIS YEAR, not last year. He screwed up early in 2006 but battled back. He called a very bad series in the third quarter when the Rams got a first and goal from the two I think and ended up fourth and Abilene.....

faulk2jackson Guest

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Well, I'll put it this way. I felt bad for Vermeil because he had absolutely no talent when he took over the Rams. Linehan had a stable full of talent but injuries have hurt him THIS YEAR, not last year. He screwed up early in 2006 but battled back. He called a very bad series in the third quarter when the Rams got a first and goal from the two I think and ended up fourth and Abilene.....
    When you speak of talent he had i hope you mean offensive talent because our defense before linehan had no talent outside of little. Witherspoon, carricker, Ryan, Hill, Atgowe were all on Linehan....besides didnt bulger and jackson have their best years last year....do you really think we wouldnt have won this crappy division if healthy this year?

Hey, it beats Tony Banks and Co. I don't have to go any further than good ole TB....

faulk2jackson Guest

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Hey, it beats Tony Banks and Co. I don't have to go any further than good ole TB....
    and what did Vermeil do when tony banks was playing.....he brought in Trent Green another average QB...........Vermeil owed his success to the unexpexcted emergence of an AFL star or he could have had another subpar season......shouldnt Linehan be given such a chance as well.?

Hey, I'm not saying NOT give Linehan a chance. All I'm saying is that the Vermeil comparison isn't that valid due to what Vermeil had compared to what Linehan had.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

but at the same times guys, injuries aside or not you cannot dismiss that linehan is calling bad plays in the 2nd halves of ball games period... INJURIES OR NOT, THIS TEAM SHOULD BE AT LEAST 4-7 BUT DUE TO OUR COACHES WE ARE 2-9....

and what did Vermeil do when tony banks was playing.....he brought in Trent Green another average QB...........Vermeil owed his success to the unexpexcted emergence of an AFL star or he could have had another subpar season......shouldnt Linehan be given such a chance as well.?

Depends...is he going to add a crackerjack offensive coordinator to his staff? Is he actually going to pick up another quarterback who can step in right away? Is he going to try to build depth on the offensive line? Is he going to stop signing tight ends?

I also think you are underrating Trent Green, but that's JMHO.

Oh...and "fixing" the defense really isn't his doing since from what I understand Haslett has near total autonomy on that side of the ball. (I could be mistaken, though)

faulk2jackson Guest

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    Depends...is he going to add a crackerjack offensive coordinator to his staff? Is he actually going to pick up another quarterback who can step in right away? Is he going to try to build depth on the offensive line? Is he going to stop signing tight ends?

I also think you are underrating Trent Green, but that's JMHO.

Oh...and "fixing" the defense really isn't his doing since from what I understand Haslett has near total autonomy on that side of the ball. (I could be mistaken, though)
    and Linehan is not responsible for bringing in Haslett? why do some expect that Linehan take the Blame for bringing in Gus and not the credit to bring in Haslett?

our defense has improved leaving and will become a force next year with a possibility of another impact draft pick. If our offense stays healthy we can easily win the division even with average and not great playcalling due to our great talent on offense (from the Martz era) and Defense (which Linehan is responsible for)

and Linehan is not responsible for bringing in Haslett? why do some expect that Linehan take the Blame for bringing in Gus and not the credit to bring in Haslett?

our defense has improved leaving and will become a force next year with a possibility of another impact draft pick. If our offense stays healthy we can easily win the division even with average and not great playcalling due to our great talent on offense (from the Martz era) and Defense (which Linehan is responsible for)
    For starters...

While the defense has certainly improved from the Club Marmalade days, it is still far from being a true force in the NFL. If I were Scott Linehan, I wouldn't pat myself on the back too hard for the defense, or for hiring the guy who got it this far.

Also....the great talent on offense remains vulnerable to a line that is deficient even when healthy. In addition to this, Linehan (who mind you was hired for his offensive coaching "prowess") seems to have trouble using the weapons he does have to the best of their ability even when the offense is healthy-and this is ignoring the fact that the Rams seem to show a marked inability to adjust in the second half. (Although I'd say the Wideout corps, at least, is worse off now than it was when he was hired.)

Honestly...I do not see Linehan leading this team to a division title next year. Which is sad, because they do have some talent.

RedArcher7 is offline Registered User

So, Linehan deserves a chance because he might win next year? Even though over the last 2 years he hasn't changed at all? Next year he's the genius head coach and Greg Olsen finally learns he's supposed to be in charge of the offense. Linehan's a sham he's just looking out for his frat boys. As far as your Vermeil debate, forget it. If Linehan takes a team to a Superbowl, I'll consider giving him another year....

faulk2jackson Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RedArcher7 View Post
    So, Linehan deserves a chance because he might win next year? Even though over the last 2 years he hasn't changed at all? Next year he's the genius head coach and Greg Olsen finally learns he's supposed to be in charge of the offense. Linehan's a sham he's just looking out for his frat boys. As far as your Vermeil debate, forget it. If Linehan takes a team to a Superbowl, I'll consider giving him another year....
    Taking a team to a superbowl is a factor in keeping coaches now? Well then Joe Gibbs must be signed with the Redskins for eternity....

He might win next year? who promised that any other coach will be able to win next year?

Frat boys? Linehan came in wanting the playcalling duties on offense Olson is just there to help him. Since when is Haslett frat brothers with Linehan...

Once again i wish i knew some of you during the earlier Vermeil era cause i know all the crap he got from rams fans back then.....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast