Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    RedArcher7 is offline Registered User

Re: Hating Linehan is similar to Rams fans hating Vermiel in 98

What are you saying? No coach is a sure thing to win a superbowl, that's stupid to say that, but there are better coaches than Linehan and it's not worth waiting a year to find out what we already know.

Taking a team to a superbowl is a factor in keeping coaches now? Well then Joe Gibbs must be signed with the Redskins for eternity....
    That's just being dumb. The same reason you sign a vet over an undrafted rookie, more experience. Even worse than blind hate is blind love.

Frat boys? Linehan came in wanting the playcalling duties on offense Olson is just there to help him. Since when is Haslett frat brothers with Linehan...
    Just about everyone on Linehan's staff goes back to coaching with him, I think the only exception is Ellard, I'd crucify Linehan if he got rid of that guy. He's looking out for his buddies, look at all the Miami influx on the team. I don't know why you keep questioning these things it's right in front of you dude. Vermeil earned his third year, Linehan hasn't done a thing.

Javaman is offline Registered User

Just about everyone on Linehan's staff goes back to coaching with him, I think the only exception is Ellard, I'd crucify Linehan if he got rid of that guy. He's looking out for his buddies, look at all the Miami influx on the team. I don't know why you keep questioning these things it's right in front of you dude. Vermeil earned his third year, Linehan hasn't done a thing.

Haslett(as far as I know) doesn't.
    I am enjoying reading this debate and the passion that each side is bringing to the table. I don't know Linehan's personality but I will go under the assumption that the office does. If they say keep him on, then lets keep him on, and lets get it on. I am a Rams fan and will blindly support them.(Dont mock me) They have had some awesome years and will do so again. I love watching a good defense (fearsome foursome, Youngblood...) and although this defense doesn't compare yet it is on its way. Witherspoon is looking good, corners are displaying attitude, the line is holding its ground. With a good pass rusher and maybe a big hitting safety, this defense will rock and the opposing offenses will once again fear coming into a Rams Stadium.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by faulk2jackson View Post
    the teams i speak of are teams like the ***** and Seattle and possibly other firings or retirements that may occur in the ranks of coaches at the season end...

You ask why does Seattle have a better chance of landing a big coach then us? Lets see.....1. 4 division titles in a row and a super bowl appearance in the last 4 years. (including this year) 2. Paul Allen is their owner......enough said... 3. Doesnt it seem football matters more in Seattle then it ever did in St Louis? Personally i wouldnt blame any coach for going to Seattle over us.

Schottenheimer and Cowher will only come out of retirement for "BIG MONEY".....will we be able to match the price? Owners like Paul Allen would laugh and respond "Who St Louis?".

REALITY REALITY REALITY.........Linehan is here to stay.........Support our general for one more battle because the war has not been lost yet.
    I disagree with a coach going to Seattle before St. Louis, Seattle is going to start to head south and only on top in the NFC West because everyone else sucks, the Rams are in much better shape to be playoff contenders for years to come .

PARamfan is offline Registered User

For all of you that want to quickly dismiss what a GREAT coach we had in Vermeillet me just tell you this:
    I grew up in the 70's in a town approximately 60 miles west of Philadelphia.The Eagles were one of the most putrid team in the league.I remember Sundays listening to my dad and grandfather complaining about how terrible this team was.It was these memories that later influenced my decision to pick a team other than the birds to be my favorite team.(That and an Uncle who lived with us that tried to turn me into a Steeler fan).Obviously the choice I made was our Rams and is the only team I cheer for that is my home team as I am a Phillies and Flyers fan.Any way back to Vermeil.I rememered watching his Eagles teams and having a great deal of respect for him as the Eagles coach and even cheered for the Eagles on most Sundays for my Dad when he was coach.It took him 3 years to get the Eagles to the playoffs.4 to win his 1st playoff game(1979 season VS Bears as a wildcard and lost to TB who lost to us in NFC Championship).5th season took Eagles to SB(Lost to Raiders).6th season made playoffs again(Lost t o Giants in Wild card game)retired and next game coached was for us.
    When the announcement in early '97 was made that the Rams hired Vermeil I probably was wearing the biggest grin in all of PA because I knew what this team had gotten as far as a head coach I KNEW this team now had a legitamate chance to turn arond the losing ATTITUDE because that is what Vermeil always brought to all the teams he coached.A great attitude,work ethic,ACCOUNTABILITY of PLAYERS and not to mention that most of his players had tremendous amounts of RESPECT for him.And he for them.Don't forget 2 of his former Eagle players were coaches for him with the Rams in John Bunting and Wilbert Montgomery.Also don't forget that Philly is notoriously known as a much tougher town to coach and play in.(that's why you guys got Scott Rolen in a steal).But in closing the big smile I had in'97 and the bigger smile and leap into my buddy's arms after Mike Jones'tackle at the end of SB 34(he's a diehard Eagle fan who rooted for the Rams because of Vermeil as did alot of my friends who are Eagle fans)that smile was not there when the Rams announced the hiring of Linehan it might have been a smug grin because the chaos of the Martz era was over but it was more of a wait and see feeling.Sorry for all you Linehan supporters but I don't have the same faith in our head coach as I did in '98

theodus69 is offline Registered User

Good grief, The rams players basically boycotted Vermeil. This is not a good team right now. Vince lombardi couldn't do much with this team and all the injuries. You never know what could come out of this . linehan is young and needs a little more time. Hey when you guys gonna start calling for a new QB? That is a little more of a reach. Who can we get in the draft that is worth a crap who could start right away?
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

Quote Originally Posted by theodus69 View Post
    Good grief, The rams players basically boycotted Vermeil. This is not a good team right now. Vince lombardi couldn't do much with this team and all the injuries. You never know what could come out of this . linehan is young and needs a little more time. Hey when you guys gonna start calling for a new QB? That is a little more of a reach. Who can we get in the draft that is worth a crap who could start right away?
    And when that happened he ADJUSTED his coaching style and listened to key players on the team and CHANGED his coaching style.

Whatever, this team stinks,as bottom of the line as it gets! this team is probably worse than the 90's teams!!!

I don't believe that.it has more talent than we had then.

The Rams teams in the 90's had lot's of talent just not at the so called skilled positions and as of late they are not in those positions now!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234