Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    diehard99 is offline Registered User

Have we really helped ourselves ?

I think this draft is like a shotgun. One player in positions of need, but none really stick out other than #1 and #2 picks. Have we really helped our DEF. with these picks, what are we waiting for, 2011!!!!!!!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Have we really helped ourselves ?

Settle down, Beavis.

The Rams took two players who should be immediate and long-term starters. Their third and fourth picks will, at a minimum, be rotational players. Beyond that... its a crapshoot for every team.

The names diehard99, we cant afford crapshoots! We are terrible offensively and defensively. Ive spent the last six years being BLINDLY positive about this teams transactions only to play like this. This is an open forum - right ? This smells mjust like all the other years - wait and see they say - weve waited long enough! My only hope is that they seem to play better the first year after a coaching change - 2001 , 2006. Will that be enough? Our draft reminds me of a sprinter running a marathon- sort of ran out of steam from the middle to the end!

There isn't a choice by any team in Rounds 5-7 that does not qualify as a crapshoot selection.

Let me ask you this... if, after 4 years, Smith is a Pro Bowl player, Laurinaitis is a full-time starter, Fletcher is a nickel back, Scott is a rotational DT getting 15-20 snaps per game, and the remaining three choices are gone, would you call this a successful draft?

If your answer is "no," you just don't get how much of an inexact science the draft is.

codeman123 is offline Registered User

We got 4 players who will get time in the first 4 rounds. We then got guys with raw talent in rounds 5-7 that fit our scheme and can be coached to be better players. I don't know which players you have a problem with us drafting, but Null was one of the only quarterbacks who was actually graded as a drop back passer and he had ridiculous numbers. Round 5 we got a WR who has all the physical tools to be good in 2 years and round 7 we got a 3rd down back.
    If you have a way to find starters from rounds 5-7 please tell me.
    You also cannot grade a draft on who the Rams passed up in talent. We have no idea what the draft board looked like and who fit into the schemes.

If what you are saying is true, for Im sure you know more about it than I do, we should of at least drafted on one side of the ball or the other so we could radically improved . Still too many question marks on the O-line - health factors, COGS, BELL. D-line - LITTLE - age, health; Only one player per will not help transform us. Question: Do you think this new coaching staff can take average players and make them win?

Right now, I think the O line could actually be a strength area (as I noted in my recent article).

At OT, you have Smith, who I believe will be very good, and Barron, who, though a disappointment, is not nearly as bad as some people think. Behind them, you have Adam Goldberg (not a starter, but a serviceable depth player) and John Greco (who could develop into a RT).

At OG, the Rams have three players (Bell, Incognito, Greco) who will compete for the starting spot, and two players with some promise (Schuening, Setterstrom) behind them.

At C, the Rams have a true mauler in Jason Brown.

Add to that a strong blocking FB (Karney) and TE (Bajema), and Steven Jackson must really be looking forward to this season.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Calm it down Diehard99. This isn't the Rams of the past six years. This is a new regime ...

Great first two picks, great POTENTIAL with the second two picks. Go look at the tape on Brad Fletcher. If he is willing to be coached up, he can be a real solid corner. Dorell Scott is one heck of a phyiscal specimen for a DT. If they can light a fire under him, he can be a wrecking ball ...

Hard to tell with Brooks Foster. He has all the physical attributes to be a player, but he was held back at UNC, so we'll have to see ...

I like this draft alot. Two solid ones in a row if you ask me ...

Chris58 is offline Registered User

It seems to me that the draft gives teams the opportunity for continuity from year to year. I seldom see instant one year turnarounds as a result of one good draft draft. A good team lacking a certain skill set can be made better in a draft. For example, Jackson improve Philly last year. Johnson helped Tennessee become a better team. Both were already good or improving and these play makers really added a dimension they were lacking.

In my opinion, instant turn arounds tend to be more a product of working the FA market. There, you can find proven talent without the crapshoot of the draft. For example, the Jets added Favre and a few other proven vets and they became instant contenders until the end of the season. But to be sure, teams must be able to both draft and work the FA market to be successful year in and year out.

I think the Rams have done both pretty well this year. Whether that translates to instant success or not only time will tell.

eldfan is offline Registered User

My answer not much, at least for the short term. This is a marathon this draft want turn it around this year but with some luck and a few more good drafts we might right the ship 2-3 years.
    :ramlogo:

Forgetting Rounds 5-7, here's what's new this year:

New Starters Acquired This Offseason

FB: Mike Karney
    OT: Jason Smith
    C: Jason Brown
    MLB: James Laurinaitis
    SS: James Butler

New Role Players Acquired This Offseason

QB (#2): Kyle Boller
    WR: Laurent Robinson
    TE: Billy Bajema
    DT: Dorrell Scott
    CB: Brad Fletcher

Add to that list the fact that the Rams retained there most important FAs (Atogwe, Bartell, Incognito and Adeyanju), and I'd say the Front Office is doing a very good job.

So everyones all right with the same limited pass rush we had last year? And I thought we all expected a STARTING NT? When a team is comited to running the football more they know that they had better have good DEF. and ST. play. Have we had a personel problem over the years or a coaching problem? Is there a problem with our players effort?

Pass rush is a legitimate concern. My hope is that (1) Little can stay healthy, (2) Long will progress, and (3) Witherspoon will be able to contribute more as a pass rusher now that he is playing from the WLB spot.

At DT, the Rams have a rotation of Carriker, Ryan and Scott. Is that a question mark? Sure. Can it work? I think it can, but we'll have to see.

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by diehard99 View Post
    Have we had a personel problem over the years or a coaching problem?
    Both...........

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    Right now, I think the O line could actually be a strength area (as I noted in my recent article).

At OT, you have Smith, who I believe will be very good, and Barron, who, though a disappointment, is not nearly as bad as some people think. Behind them, you have Adam Goldberg (not a starter, but a serviceable depth player) and John Greco (who could develop into a RT).

At OG, the Rams have three players (Bell, Incognito, Greco) who will compete for the starting spot, and two players with some promise (Schuening, Setterstrom) behind them.

At C, the Rams have a true mauler in Jason Brown.

Add to that a strong blocking FB (Karney) and TE (Bajema), and Steven Jackson must really be looking forward to this season.
    I agree I wish others would look at it with an open mind. Setterstrom was injured last year and showed good promise as a starter and now he is way down on the depth charts because of the other quality guard options. We have a stud Center and we don't have to worry about the Duct tape that was holding Pace together. Greco and Scheuning are ascending players in their second year and we could see big improvements in them. When you look at most of our OL they are not past the peak of their career they are all young and have their best football ahead of them.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Pass rush is a legitimate concern. My hope is that (1) Little can stay healthy, (2) Long will progress, and (3) Witherspoon will be able to contribute more as a pass rusher now that he is playing from the WLB spot.

At DT, the Rams have a rotation of Carriker, Ryan and Scott. Is that a question mark? Sure. Can it work? I think it can, but we'll have to see.
    I agree and if they can get the full potential out of Dorell Scott then we will have a beast of a DT. He is 6'3 317 pounds and many feel he could add an extra 20-30 pounds if need be for NT. He currently runs a 4.97 40 which is great for a guy 317 pounds. He can take on blockers and he can apply a pass rush. IMO he is one of the biggest keys to this season if he has a good year this team could have a very good year. I was one person advocating Ron Brace but this guy is faster and could wind up ebing the better option. Brace is currently only 17 pounds heavier and slow as molasses 5.52.
    Last edited by RamsSB99; -04-27-2009 at 05:42 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast