Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Having my doubts about Sunday's game vs Cowboys...

rNemesis is offline Registered User

Having my doubts about Sunday's game vs Cowboys...

...and the season as a whole.

Lets face it. We can sit here and talk about what could've been, what should've been, and what else, but the reality is, we know where we're at right now and it is what it is. I, too, agree with the general consensus that " If it weren't for a play here or a dropped pass there, things would be MUCH different" It IS INDEED true. However, as mentioned, its reality, and I am a person that likes to face reality despite it hurting me ( and probably others as well) to say it or believe it. The Rams, so far this season, have disappointed all of us considerably this year. The horrible O-line play, the 82 drops ( that was a guess, I dont know the exact count ) the penalties, injuries, lack of OTA and bad coaching at times has led all of us to wonder just exactly where this team is really headed. And this is where I seriously doubt our ability to win a game this season. I'm not trying to be negative, but I just dont see how we will be able to fix all of our team's woes and just right the ship like a light switch. It doesn't work out that way and I would LOVE to be wrong on that one, but I think I'm right, as much as it hurts.

I see all kinds of post about Bradford, and let me tell you right now, I am NOT a supporter of getting rid of Bradford. He is the face of our franchise, our QB, he goes out there and plays his best despite of what everyone else is doing or saying, gives 100%, makes accurate throws, and plays well. He is the little that we have right now. I dont entertain stupid comments such as the thread titled, " Kiper says- trade Bradford and draft Luck"... Really? Are you smoking crack, Mel? If you indeed said that, you need to quit that job NOW. Seriously dude. The guy has done nothing but play as good as he can given the little he has and yet people want to dump him?? That is not even a topic that should be discussed. Last time I checked, the QB doesn't pass block, run block, cover receivers, or catch passes. Ridiculous.

Now, here are some reasons why I THINK we will not win a game this season. Maybe we WILL win one or two, but I DEFINITELY THINK that, if we DO win some games, then it will not be more than two:

• This offensive line has not proven that they are a reliable, consistent unit. Bradford is on his ass too long, and when he has time, it is shaky because he is not sure the line is going to hold for him.
    • The receivers, although supposedly upgraded with MC and BL possibly lining up for the game this Sunday, have dropped too many passes to this point. Kendricks worries me because he can do everything except catch the dog gone ball, and Sims Walker is released for the same reason. Brandon Gibson is another guy that is at best a #4 possession guy. Hopefully the WR corps is a strength Sunday...
    • The RUN D. Horrid. Who is Ryan Torain? How could he gash us for 135 yards on the ground? This unit has failed to deliver, yet we praise this defense for being so good? Please. This defense plays much better with a lead or just being in the game in general. We cannot and have not stopped the run for quite some time now.
    • The PASS D. Not great, either. No pressure from 4-man fronts resulting in the secondary having to bring pressure, which is not good when you dont have reliable CB's and safeties.
    • Josh Brown. Has not even been nowhere NEAR the money kicker he was for the Seahawks. This really ticks me off. He missed a very makeable 47 yarder early in the first qtr. of the 0-0 tied Packers game.
    • Justin King. He is just horrid, giving up three TD in the first qtr to Torrey Smith, who had done NOTHING to that point and has done nothing since. Just sad.
    • Spags. Honestly, since he has come here, I have respected him and appreciated what he tried to do for us. But I just don't feel that he is the right guy for the job at this stage in our development, or even the right guyperiod for that matter. Winning, losing, and competing HARD EVERY week is a reflection of the head coach. We all have talked about this topic and his seat getting hot for the last week or two.

Bottom line is this folks: Even if the offense improves slightly this week against Dallas, I just think our OTHER problems will cost us the football game. There are just too many problems, many of which I dont see will be resolved any time soon. What do you guys think? Am I right? I just dont see how I am not making sense here. Look guys, I love my team to death and love STL, but enough is enough man. The foolishness has to stop, the miscues, and silly mistakes that just cost us too much. We do not have nearly enough talent on the roster to overcome such mishaps. SO we need to bring our best football week in week out if we want to W. BUT I DONT SEE IT HAPPENING if it has happened for 5 straight games!! What makes US believe it will be different?

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: Having my doubts about Sunday's game vs Cowboys...

We just got Lloyd and Clayton that's gotta help. I'm starting to think Sam will not play or Clayton this week lets hope I'm wrong. Salas, Pettis and Kendricks are looking better as well... DX is still making plays had 97 yards last week or close to that... We have had all the bad breaks one team can get it's time to catch a few and start winning keep the faith.
    Last edited by Rambos; -10-20-2011 at 05:26 PM.

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

It IS disheartening when no matter where one looks, vast improvement is needed.

That said, I saw much better receiver play against GB, by a longshot, than I'd seen all year. The line ain't great, but takes a little too much heat for protection breakdowns. Line backing and corners are bad and will stay that way.

Overall the team is improving, but it's hard to appreciatee when there still exist so many glaring holes. You're right, Rams aren't going anywhere this year, but are getting better, (coaching and management should stay as well), so enjoy watching them improve.
    hawaiianpunch likes this.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

mh-i is offline Registered User

Coming into the season I thought we'd be 1-4 at this point with a win over the Redskins. I'm not shocked at all.

macrammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mh-i View Post
    Coming into the season I thought we'd be 1-4 at this point with a win over the Redskins. I'm not shocked at all.
    Record aside, you are not "shocked" with effort? Lack of fundamentals, dropped passes, penalties, lack of consistent passion energy etc?? or was this in your view as well?

If we catch ball, stop all of the idiotic penalties, (especially in red zone) convert a 3rd down or two and stop their 3rd down conversions, we just may stand a chance. In other words, play sound fundamental football for 60 minutes.
    Fettmaster and hawaiianpunch like this.

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

Ok, but did you expect our offense to be averaging a measly 9.8 points per game, while our defense is giving up almost 30? Did you expect us to be statistically worse than the 2009 Rams?
    macrammer likes this.

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

putting everything aside I am excited about this game and feel it is a turnaround game. Choke Artist Romo gives us the best opportunities to get the win. We will finally be in a position where we aren't making all the mistakes. With Clayton back and Lloyd lining up I only see great things coming out of our backfield.

When we come back here Sunday after our win I expect to see rep points in abundance! GO RAMS!!!
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Fettmaster View Post
    Ok, but did you expect our offense to be averaging a measly 9.8 points per game, while our defense is giving up almost 30? Did you expect us to be statistically worse than the 2009 Rams?
    Actually our defense is allowing an average of 23.2 points per game. You can thank our offense for allowing 21 points which would put us at 27.4 per game.

9.8 is embarrassing to say the least.

GO RAMS!

eldfan is offline Registered User

Im at the point where I need to see if the rams can put up more than 10 points a game. But if they can cut down on mistakes wins are possible most teams beat them selves anyway. Half the battle is not kicking your on butt.
    :ramlogo:

Quote Originally Posted by Fettmaster View Post
    In the first half of the season, yes I expected that pretty much every team we'd play would be better than the Rams. I thought the 2009 team played an easy schedule. I think this year's team and last year's team are virtually the same. I expected losses to the Eagles, Giants, Ravens and Packers.

I think most of you are dissappointed because you expected the Rams to be 4-1 instead of 1-4. I didn't. That doesn't mean I'm not bummed out that they haven't even shown up a couple times.

It's not like the Rams made major upgrades in the off season. Some guys they've drafted just haven't panned out. How many legitimate Pro Bowlers do the Rams have? I believe the Rams have holes all over both sides of the ball. Offensive line, wide receiver, defensive line, linebacker, and especially corner back, which in my opinion has been a especially weak position for 10 years. All of that is more evident this season because they are playing a way tougher schedule than they deserve.

Basically I think most Rams fans came into this season with unreasonable expectations given the overall talent level vs. the schedule the team has to play.
    Last edited by mh-i; -10-20-2011 at 10:04 PM.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I think most of you are dissappointed because you expected the Rams to be 4-1 instead of 1-4.
    I think you're pretty far off here. In large part, the disappointment isn't in the record but in the quality of play. The vast majority of fans recognized the opening half of the schedule was going to be very difficult, but expected the Rams to at least be competitive in these games and maybe steal a win or two. They haven't been, and THAT'S where the disappointment stems from. Not the record, but the quality of play.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

I believe the Rams have holes all over both sides of the ball. Offensive line, wide receiver, defensive line, linebacker, and especially corner back, which in my opinion has been a especially weak position for 10 years.
    It wouldnt be so weak if we didnt lose our top 3cb's and then there backups as well. Wait till Bartell, Murphy, Fletcher come back.

Im not saying its not a need, and id love to grab a cb in the 2nd round of the draft. but once our cb starters come back next year itll be completly different then how our cb unit has been this year.

Ofeensive line has sucked yes, but im will to let them work more together and stop being stupid with these penalties. im tired of bringing in new O-linemen, its just tiring.

WR- yes please god yes, Jeffery/Blackmon in the 1st. i cant say this enough. heck, ill settle with Floyd. just please bring in a top draft wr.

Defensive linemen-yea, i dont know whats wrong with them this year, its like were cursed to have horrid run-d always. O-linebacker is def something we need, i dont know if we will this draft though.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I think you're pretty far off here. In large part, the disappointment isn't in the record but in the quality of play. The vast majority of fans recognized the opening half of the schedule was going to be very difficult, but expected the Rams to at least be competitive in these games and maybe steal a win or two. They haven't been, and THAT'S where the disappointment stems from. Not the record, but the quality of play.
    Maybe so but I still think most Rams fans are completely blind sided by the 0-5 record. They saw 4-0 in the pre season and thought it meant something. Difficult schedule or not I think they expected wins, not just being competitive. They'd take ugly wins over any kind of a loss.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

To start off, I'm with mh-i in thinking we'df probably be 1-4 with a win over the Skins. 2-3 if we got lucky on Monday night, but I doubted that one. I was figuring our 2nd win in the first 7 would be this week.

But here's how I see it. In 3 of our games we've killed ourselves. We only lost two games where we were totally outmatched and out played, and that was Baltimore and Green Bay. There's no shame there. Against the Eagles, Giants and Redskins, we could have won. Now, we lost 4 of our top 7 players against the Eagles so I can't really say we should have won, but we out played the dream team when they were still that until late when we had lost Bradford, Jax, Amendola, Bartell, Smith, and Soffold too I believe. Against the Giants we should have crushed them, but again we lost a return fumble, a punt, and couldn't get a redzone TD to save our lives. Sexy Rexy put us right back in the game and we had the ball on the 19 after JLau returned an interception. We went backwards to punt the ball.

In all three games, we lost because of our own problems. We weren't outplayed. that is an infinitely better place to be than if we had just gotten our butts kicked in all five games. Why? Because we can fix it. We have the talent, we have the coaches I believe. We just haven't executed, nor have we seemingly been concentrating on the games. Yes, that is partly on the coaches, but if you need the coach to fire you up at this level of the sport, you shouldn't be playing. But all of our problems are internal, and we can fix that. We couldn't fix getting beat when playing our best.

I've said that I thought our draft this year was for players who could help in 2012, and the more I see the more I think that I was right. Quinn is rusty on top of being a rookie. The three receivers all need to work on their chemistry with Sam(read: catching the damn ball) and how to get open. Salas seems to be coming along with that.

On top of that, look at McD in Denver. They did very little in his first year, but in his second, Orton and Lloyd exploded. I expect to see that next year when they have a full offseason to work with. This isn't an easy offense, and from reports, they've only partially fed it to Sam and kept a lot from last year. So, we're getting a lot of the same plays from last year minus the catching, no wonder the offense is sucking.

So to end this rant, what's it mean for this year? We train up the rookies, we get a good look see at Lloyd and Clayton and see about long term deals with them. We bring in Quinn slowly to take over next year. We find out if we uncover and gems at CB. We see if we need new OLB's again. We take stock of the O-line and long term at DT. Meanwhile we undoubtedly win a few games in the back half of our season, or maybe even this weekend, and we go in to the offseason with probably a top 10 pick and we get either a big time playmaker at WR or we grab a new OT, or a top defensive star. Or, we trade back because we can get value and someone wanting to move up and we keep building.

This doesn't seem to be our year, but so what? I would much rather be where we are because of our own problems, than just not being able to compete. I for one amd expecting things to get fixed and I want to see us 1-5 on Sunday!
    viper likes this.
    I believe!

FestusRam is offline Registered User

I think I've seen a "I don't know if we can pull this game off guys" post every week.

When your not playing great football and currently rebuilding, of course your going to be skeptical against solid teams...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast