Thread: Haz Goes Bonkos

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Haz Goes Bonkos

From Profootballtalk:

HAZ GOES BONKOS

FOX cameras -- and microphones -- captured some choice language from Rams defensive coordinator Jim Haslett on Sunday.

Per multiple readers, Haz dropped a couple of "F" bombs, and coupled one of them with "bullsh-t", in the second half of the game between the Rams and the Falcons.

The FCC has in the past tried to impose fines for profanities uttered in live broadcasts. The ability of the FCC to do so has been the subject of litigation, and a final answer is pending.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Re: Haz Goes Bonkos

Well, far be it from me to think this is bad. I'm glad that he's pissed that his defense can't play for a whole game. The offense stalling in the second half doesn't help either, and I think is the root cause.

Good to see his fire! Good to see someone on the staff with fire...

RamOfDenmark Guest

****ing bull**** that's what this is. Down with the FCC! :x

Rambos is offline Registered User

Well, far be it from me to think this is bad. I'm glad that he's pissed that his defense can't play for a whole game.
    Did you see the game? He was upset after wade made a great play on a punt. Wade touched the ball down inside the 5. After the quater ended the ref came back and said he was out of bounds and he was the frist player to touched the ball. We had to punt again, Haslett was going off!

Had nothing to do with his D, which at the time was doing well again.
    Last edited by Rambos; -12-03-2007 at 04:29 PM.

moloch41 Guest

Wade stepped out of bounds and then was the first to touch the ball- it was a penalty. What is there to argue? Maybe he should have spent less time arguing about a Special Teams play and more time trying to figure out how to stop the great Chris Redman.

Javaman Guest

I think it had more to do with the way the penalty was called. The flag wasn't thrown right away. It was thrown way after the play. The ball was set and their offense was huddled. Almost like it was called out of the booth upstairs. I think that is what got him so upset.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

What does "bonkos" mean? I've heard of "bonkers," but "bonkos"?

general counsel is offline Registered User

I agree it was a bizarre outburst since under the rule it doesnt matter if wade was pushed out of bounds. It was an obvious penalty. I would love to know why jim went so ballistic.

As to the problem with the defense in the 4th quarter, it came down to one thing (or lack thereof) and that was PASS RUSH. the biggest difference once redman got into the game was that for some reason, despite our blitzing, we werent getting near him.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

The outburst had to be over more than just the Wade penalty. In any case, the Rams personnel on the sideline all seemed to be having a good laugh at Haslett's tirade. I'm surprised he didn't pull a Woody Hayes on someone.

Keenum is offline Registered User

Good. I like to see emotion like that from a coach. It shows they are passionate for what they do.

moloch41 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    As to the problem with the defense in the 4th quarter, it came down to one thing (or lack thereof) and that was PASS RUSH. the biggest difference once redman got into the game was that for some reason, despite our blitzing, we werent getting near him.

They went back in a shotgun and were running shorter routes. The Seahawks last week had Hasselbeck take shorter drops. Something that could be countered by pressing the WR and jamming them off the line, but for some reason, Haslett won't do that. It's not like the Falcons or Hawks have great WR's with tremendous size. He has the WR's getting a clear jump off the ball. It makes no sense, but adds credence to my theory that Haslett can't adjust.

live4ramin is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    What does "bonkos" mean? I've heard of "bonkers," but "bonkos"?
    Av, do you think maybe he ment Bazzaro's? .....Bozo's?....
    "The horror"

Rambos is offline Registered User

What does "bonkos" mean?
    The word Bonkos Regis uses to describe Kramer (Seinfeld) while on the Regis and Kelly show. ex."This guy is bonkos!" Hope this clears things up AV.
    Last edited by Rambos; -12-03-2007 at 04:36 PM.

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

From my couch, I've no way to know for sure why Haslett was so pissed so if anybody has any inside slant, I'd love to hear it.

However, my impression was that Haslett was pissed that the official didn't call the penalty up front, but rather, made the call AFTER the Falcons complained about it and AFTER the official's time out.

Did anybody else notice how often the Falcons players and coaches would "look" for the offical's to call a penalty by pointing and complaining about them. Obviously every team does this and will point out all kinds of injustices to the nearest ref, but it seemed a little more frequent for the Falcons yesterday than most games. The stepping out of bounds occurred on the Rams side of the field, and perhaps Haslett felt the official was giving in to the whining and complaining taking place in front of him about the ref not making the call.

By rule it was the right call, and I'll bet the line judge simply took a moment to realize his error by not calling it and that's why the call was delayed. But, they also ruled that the 3rd quarter was over! That's an official's time out. Maybe Haslett felt calling a penalty after the time out has been called is similar to calling and enforcing a penalty after a subsequent snap has taken place. I know I was upset by that.

Again, that's how it looked from my couch. Anybody else's living room or sports bar provide a different viewpoint?