throwback week

Tony Soprano Guest

HC candidate Tim Lewis / NYG

Tim Lewis / DEF COORD / New York Giants has been mentioned (by Thiesman and now on
    ESPN radio) as a possible candidate for the Rams HC position. I'm really surprised.

Lewis was DEF COORD in Pittsburgh and was fired in Jan 2004.
    His last season with the Steelers (2003) their DEF .. was ranked #15 (Points allowed)
    The next season (after he left) the Steelers (2004) DEF was Ranked #1. (Points allowed)

This year the NYG DEF is ranked around 24th - nothing special.

Read this link where a Steeler LB says he's glad Lewis is gone
    http://steelers.scout.com/2/290078.html

This link refers to the Steelers keeping Cowher and improving by replacing Lewis
    http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW...pins011205.htm

These Steelers don't have anything good to say about Lewis:
    http://www.pghsports.com/2004-Issues.../04090106.html

Last edited by Tony Soprano; -01-05-2006 at 11:43 PM.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Re: HC candidate Tim Lewis / NYG

Look Tony, there's no way he gets this job, but by way of balance can anyone tell me what the Bills said about Williams when he was canned as HC?

I think Williams is a great candidate I really do but I'm just not totally sold on him in the way others are on this board. I don't see him as THE answer I think there could be many.

What do you think about Kubiak?

Tony Soprano Guest

Willaims is out of the running. I did read in the Washington papers where the Redskins believed Gregg Williams was going to St. Louis when they offered him Head Coach BiG Bucks (a record contract).

Lewis should've even be interviewed.

I Like Kubiak, he has really produced. However, our DEF really needs addressing. I would only go OFFENSIVE, if a Good DEF COORD can be had.. I think that's not going to be easy, because Lateral moves are highly unusual in the NFL. We'd havd to take a college DEF COORD or an NFL position coach and promote him to COORDinator. Then there's no guarantee they will succeed as an NFL coordinator.

Kubiak has a wonderful record - seems like a winner. Blurb on him:

Gary Kubiak
    Offensive Coordinator

Gary Kubiak Q&A -- April 8, 2005
    1983 Remembered: Gary Kubiak -- March 24, 2003

Gary Kubiak begins his 12th year as an NFL coach and his 11th season as Denver's offensive coordinator in 2005. He is coming off 10 highly successful seasons in which the Broncos' offensive unit has produced numbers unparalleled in the history of the organization, highlighted by back-to-back World Championships in 1997 and '98.

Kubiak, who owns three Super Bowl rings, is one of just 15 NFL coaches to win a Super Bowl with two different franchises (San Francisco, 1994) and one of just nine to win a title with a team from each conference.

He returned to the Broncos’ organization in 1995 with Head Coach Mike Shanahan after the pair coached together in 1994 in San Francisco, where Shanahan was offensive coordinator.

Kubiak's return to Denver—where he played quarterback behind John Elway from 1983-91—has been marked by extraordinary success. The Broncos have produced the National Football League's No. 1 offense twice during Kubiak's tenure (1996-97)—a first in franchise history—and have ranked in the top three overall in six of his 10 seasons: No. 2 in 2000 and No. 3 in 1995, 1998 and 2002 in addition to the two No. 1 rankings. The total offensive numbers produced in Kubiak's first eight years at the controls mark the most prolific eight-year totals in club annals.
    The Broncos set new single-season standards for touchdowns and points scored in three consecutive seasons from 1996-98 and posted new records for yards per rush in both 1997 and '98. Denver has also scored 30 or more points in a game 68 times (including four times in postseason) in the 171 regular and postseason games since Kubiak's hire. In the 10 years that Kubiak has been at the controls of the Denver offense, the club has accumulated the most rushing yards (22,483) along with the second most points (4,045) and total yards (58,469) in the NFL.
    Denver has had 26 Pro Bowl selections from the offensive side of the football in Kubiak's 10 seasons as offensive coordinator and is the only team in NFL history to produce a 3,000-yard passer (John Elway), a 1,500-yard rusher (Terrell Davis) and a 1,000-yard receiver (Shannon Sharpe, '96 and '97; Rod Smith, '97) two years in a row, doing so in 1996 and '97.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Good post Tony and thanks for digging up the detailed stats on the man.

I don't have a problem with an offensive OC on principle if he has the kind of pedigree we're looking for and I think Kubiak has it in spades.

You pointed out in another thread the main difficulty though and that would be to find a DC to go with him that could make a difference. That would be the main risk in taking someone like Kubiak.

Could be risk worth taking though in Kubiak's case, although I wouldn't take that risk if it was Linehan we were talking about.