Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Is he the best or am I biased?

Is steven jackson the best running back in the nfl right now? Some say no adrian is some say no chris johnson is. But I believe pound for pound sj39 is the best and not just because I'm a rams fan. I really think sjax will see even bigger numbers this year with hopefully a improved line. He is a hard nose runner that we were lucky to draft to replace faulk cause that was a hard job but somehow he did it seemlessly.

Look at adrians numbers they will always be masked by the fact he does fumble a lot, and his fumbling was one of the reasons vikings didn't goto the superbowl. He has great speed and decent power but I have always hated his fumbles and if u can't gain yards without coughin it up its not worth much.

Chris johnson though there's not as much to say other than he hasn't produced for as long as steven has because he's only been in the league two years. He had one blow up 2000 yard season and jamie dukes from nfl network is already saying he is gonna do it back to back 2000 yard seasons so we will see. I don't like cj just because he said he has done in the first two years what no running back has done. Guess he didn't watch football when eric dickerson went for 1808 rookie season then next year 2105 so he needs to check up on the history books. Also he is going on record saying he is going to get 2500 yards rushing this year. I mean seriously who does he think he is?

So this brings the question if u really had to chose a running back who would it be?

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

Re: Is he the best or am I biased?

What about Michael Turner? But, yes you are biased. We all are biased, it's our team so there's nothing wrong with that.
    Funny, thing about football tho. It's a team "sport" in every sense of the word, and players really are only as good as the team.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by mikhal5569 View Post
    What about Michael Turner? But, yes you are biased. We all are biased, it's our team so there's nothing wrong with that.
    Funny, thing about football tho. It's a team "sport" in every sense of the word, and players really are only as good as the team.
    Which makes Jackson the best back in the NFL IMO. What he has accomplished the last few years with a serious lack of support is nothing short of incredible.

The Rammer is offline Registered User

If you look at this from a purely objective standpoint, you can make the case that Steven Jackson is the best running back around. It's hard to compare him to anybody else because he is such a unique type of rusher. The only competition is Chris Johnson or Adrian Peterson. Adrian Peterson is overrated if you look at what he does. He fumbles a lot, defenses need to worry about a passing game so he can get more yardage, and quite frankly he's not that strong or fast. Chris Johnson is fast with some moves, but he hasn't been around very long. Jackson is a tough, gritty running back who can consistently get you yardage. Long runs of 10+ yards don't happen much, but he gets a lot of 7-10 yard rushes. The main thing you can argue is that Steven Jackson is the entire Rams offense, so teams often use 8 or even 9 guys to try and contain him, yet he still puts up phenomenal numbers.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I truly do think he is the best back in the league. I mean, he and thomas Jones are the only 2 current running backs with 5 consecutive 1,000 yard rushing seasons. Not only did he achieve this, he did it all on a team that was very poor.

He had 1,416 rushing yards last season coming in 2nd place to Chris Johnson. He also missed 1 game and played 4 injured. Also, he is playing with a totally improved team now. Better O line, better QB, better defense, and even special teams (hopefully to all of those).

Imagine what Steven could do in a vikings uniform?

sakl18 is offline Registered User

He is without a doubt one of the top 3 runningbacks in this league. Based on what he has gone up against, stacked boxes on every play, no offensive line, I would put him above Peterson. Yes, Peterson is talented, but I would like to see him duplicate what he has done without that incredible vikings line and without having teams respect the passing game. In terms of Chris Johnson, I'll have to wait until next season to make my judegment as it remains to be seen if he can keep his pace up. One thing to keep in mind about Johnson is the fact that he was solid, but not on the same level when Kerry Collins was the starting QB in Tennessee. once players had to start respecting Young's scrambling ability, that's when johnson took off. Not to mention that he also has a great o-line.

I think that with the circumstances that Jackson has been in, you could undoubtedly make the argument for him as the top back in the league. In my opinion, he is either first or second, depending on how CJ2K does this upcoming season.

Trevor is offline Registered User

Best. Period.

lordwhttgr is offline Registered User
    I live in Danville Illinois, I work all over the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Imagine what Steven could do in a vikings uniform?

NOOOOOOO......I did,,now I have to go brush my teeth and take a shower and pray for forgiveness. I am so unclean.

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Which makes Jackson the best back in the NFL IMO. What he has accomplished the last few years with a serious lack of support is nothing short of incredible.
    Let's keep it real, the Rams have a had a solid run blocking offensive line the past few years. It's in pass blocking where they have struggled, but yes I would say Jackson is one of the best backs in the league.

Which that really should prove that sj39 is the best because of the team he plays on has no other option (or I should say didn't) on offense to gain yards. So steven was facing 8 man boxes a lot to stop him and still couldn't.

If u took steven jackson and put him on the vikings or titans he would still gain yards. But u can't say the other way around that ap or cj would be able to gain their yards here.

And michael turner is no where near sj39, ap, cj status. I would actually rate a few rb's ahead of him including those three, then maurice jone drew and ray rice. Turner has never really impressed me much.

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one that does think he is the best.

Do you watch the games? Teams Normally stack the box on short yardage plays to stop the Rams from getting a first down. Or they are pass rushing to pressure the qb which often results in getting to the back. Teams very rarely stack 8 in the box and when they show a full on blitz it's normally what's called a "stunt" by the way.
    Make no mistake teams let Jackson get two or three yards as long as he doesn't get the first down. This is why he has so many rushing yards with so few td's.
    Jackson is a good running back with size and speed, blitzes often time over run the running back and leaves Jackson with a favorable match up against a CB or safety or a linebacker pursuing from the side or behind.
    An opposing defensive coordinator understands you have to pick your poison. There is no such ting as a defense that is as equally good against the pass and the rush. The Rams strength has been the run the past few years. So they let him run and make the Rams pass, why is that hard to understand?

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Let's keep it real, the Rams have a had a solid run blocking offensive line the past few years.
    We'll have to agree to disagree on this because in keeping it real, I did not see a "solid" run blocking line the last few years. What I did see was Jackson having to fight and struggle for most of his yards.

Dwight Frye is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    What he has accomplished the last few years with a serious lack of support is nothing short of incredible.

Agree 1000%. Absolutely the best back in the league.

Do you watch the games? Teams Normally stack the box on short yardage plays to stop the Rams from getting a first down. Or they are pass rushing to pressure the qb which often results in getting to the back. Teams very rarely stack 8 in the box and when they show a full on blitz it's normally what's called a "stunt" by the way.
    Make no mistake teams let Jackson get two or three yards as long as he doesn't get the first down. This is why he has so many rushing yards with so few td's.
    Jackson is a good running back with size and speed, blitzes often time over run the running back and leaves Jackson with a favorable match up against a CB or safety or a linebacker pursuing from the side or behind.
    An opposing defensive coordinator understands you have to pick your poison. There is no such ting as a defense that is as equally good against the pass and the rush. The Rams strength has been the run the past few years. So they let him run and make the Rams pass, why is that hard to understand?
    The better question is do you watch the games? I live near st louis and up until last year they aired almost every rams game. And they only didn't last year because of bad seat sales at the dome and they still showed some games still. So yes I do watch the games. And I have seen steven jackson have to bust his butt to get the yards he has gotten because of a lack of a pass offense. He has a lot of rushing yards with few td's last year because he was having to catch the ball out of the backfield and run to get to the redzone. It was bad execution in the red zone not steven jacksons fault alone. Any team in the nfl doesn't let steven get yards he has to knock guys around and carry defenders on his back to get those yards I've seen him fight for so many of his yards. So really the question is do YOU watch the games?

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Let's keep it real, the Rams have a had a solid run blocking offensive line the past few years. It's in pass blocking where they have struggled, but yes I would say Jackson is one of the best backs in the league.
    Come on now!

Mike was spot on.

Jackson has been nothing short of incredible, especially considering the state of the surrounding cast.

The real question is; how much longer can he carry the bulk of the load?

To increase his longevity I think the rest of the offense around Jackson must improve.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast