Thread: He Is Only 26

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

He Is Only 26

He Is Only 26
    Sep 14, 2004
    By Jared Balzer / GridIronGateway.com

The Ramís ended their season on an interception thrown by Marc Bulger, at least that is the easy way to look at it. Nobody says it ended on a pass not caught by Torry Holt, or a tackle not made by Jason Sehorn. Holtís and Sehorn's name may be mentioned but Bulger gets all the blame. How does over 60 minutes of game play get balled up into one play? Was their not other opportunities for the TEAM to win the game, or did Bulger spoil those chances as well?

Bulger has played in 22 regular season games in his career, not counting this seasonís opener. Within those games, he holds an 87.2 quarterback rating, completing 63.5% of his passes, and throwing for 258 yards per game. He has also thrown 38 touchdowns for an average of 1.6 a game, not bad for his first two years. What people tend to focus on are his 28 interceptions, 22 of those were in his 15 games played in 2003.

Now let us see what the leagues favorite quarterback displayed in his first two starting seasons, we will not count his first year with the falcons because he never started. In Brett Favreís First Two Seasons He Had A Rating Of 78.75, completing 62.4% of his passes, and throwing for 210 yards a game. Throwing 37 touchdowns and 37 interceptions. This is all over a 31 game, 2-year span. In Favreís second countable year he threw 19 touchdowns and 24 interceptions. Bulger did 22 and 22. Fewer interceptions, more touchdowns, and better ratio.

Now let me get off on a better foot. I am not saying Bulger is better than Favre, nor will be better than Favre but who is to say. What I am saying, is that Bulger is only 26.. Everyone is on his case, but they do not realize he is still a baby, to this leagues standards. You expect these reactions from a spoiled city. We have great sports here in St. Louis and its obvious no one likes to lose, okay we hate losing especially when it is ugly.

Many of the NFL successful quarterbacks did not get a single speck of grass or dirt on their jerseys until after their first years. Despite Buglerís high number of interceptions he has had a better first two years than most quarterbacks. Bulger quite possibly may be a very good quarterback, but we already know greatness does not happen overnight. It takes time, practice, and game experience. What does not help is having a coach in Mike Martz, who does not attack the problem in the best way. I understand not wanting to hold him back, but something has to be done to correct his bad decisions. Making it to the playoffs in your first full season is a great start. If I could place a bet on Bulger nearly cutting his interceptions in half from last year I would put the bank on it. Many of his interceptions are controlled mistakes, which have the opportunity for correction, and St. Louis will have a premier quarterback that will bring us many winning seasons.

After all that is what the game is about not the numbers, but about winning. And Bulger continues to do that.

By Jared Balzer

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: He Is Only 26

He Is Only 26 Sep 14, 2004
    By Jared Balzer / GridIronGateway.com
    Howard got a brother writing now?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

txramsfan is offline Registered User

It's his son.....

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

And how old is he?

I don't know. I didn't order his dating service tape, just copied the article.

theodus69 is offline Registered User

Nick , I get your frustration and it's as well said , when our line stunk up the field it was Warners fault! But i'm not going there today. Bulger wins, but have you noticed he hasn't put away a game in some time. Not only that, he can barely bring this team back to beat a worthless Cards team. Same as last year,he only pulled out games on weak teams that we should have killed! I'm not sold on Bulger and I still feel we let the wrong guy go. But for the most part, I don't have the confidense in him like I had in Kurt! For some reason when Kurt got the ball it was a great chance something would happen. Not now with Bulger. We will never get another Warner and Bulger really isn't even close. Listen to what I say-------Bulger will never win us the BOWL. He doesn't have that killer instinct! Why he is the starter,I don't know and it is my opinion so don't take offense(SP) to what I say.The guy is blah and he plays blah and we don't have that kind of defense to win the BOWL with a blah QB.So the bad sides of him are gonna show more than the good! :upset: Oh yeah, I guess I did get into that kurt thing ! :redface:
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

You're certainly welcome to your opinions, theodus.