RamWraith is offline Registered User

Head Coach Scott Linehan--August 24, 2006

(On today’s practice)

“We’ve actually been working our Friday-type practices during training camp with our preseason games. We basically concluded our week in pads. Tomorrow we’ll do a walkthrough before we travel, which is pretty standard of how we’ll do it during the year. It’s been a good week, as far as getting our in-week schedule down and tweaking it a little bit here and there. I’m happy with the way it’s gone.”

(On WR Torry Holt not practicing today)

“He probably could (play Saturday). We’ll make that decision. He probably could, but I just kept him out. A lot of times on Friday we’ll work our second’s because they don’t get to work. But he (Torry) didn’t get any work today.”

(On LB Drew Wahlroos playing against the Chiefs)

“We’re going to give him a go. He’s cleared to play. He didn’t have a cast that was comfortable enough the first part of the week so he wasn’t allowed to play. We’re going to give him a chance to get in there. He’ll be available. I don’t know how much he’ll play because he hadn’t been practicing a lot, be he’ll be available for action.”

(On the dealing with the noise in Arrowhead Stadium)

“We’d do all hand signals if we had to. I’ve been doing this for a lot of years and I’ve never had a problem. Some guys have had it for a couple of plays. We would just probably run the plays in or just signal them from the sideline. It’s not very hard.”

(On having RB Stephen Davis workout yesterday)

“It wasn’t like we were keeping it a secret that we were looking for a number two type-back. They’ve (RBs Tony Fisher and Mo Williams) done an excellent job, but we’re just thin there. There wasn’t anything at that point that we were pursuing. I think Stephen (Davis) is certainly a guy that is proven in the league and probably has a couple good years left in him, but you don’t know where he’s at. Basically, it came up just recently that he was going to give it a go and we just brought him in for a physical and gave him a little workout. He looks like he’s as good as ever. We’ll see. We haven’t moved any further than that.”

(On what Davis’ workout consisted of)

“I just wanted to see him move. I wanted to make sure that there wasn’t a noticeable limp of any kind. I wanted to see him cut and catch some routes. We did a little bit of going through bags and agility type stuff, but nothing overly extensive. We just want to see his movements and make sure it looked like he was running pain free. He looked good.”

(On cutting CB Dwight Anderson)

“It was just a matter of giving guys opportunities. We’re looking at who’s going to play in this game down the road. We just made a decision that it was going to be best for us going into this game that we set the depth the way we’re going to have it for the game and give him a chance to catch on with somebody else.”

QB Marc Bulger

August 24, 2006

(On looking forward to more action this weekend)

“Yeah, still, these games, they don’t mean much. As long as everyone’s healthy and we do some half-decent things on offense I’ll be happy. Just everyone coming out healthy is my main concern.”

(On what he hopes to get out of the preseason)

“Coach Linehan and I have talked. We’ve been moving the ball. We’ve had a lot of plays over 15 yards, which is good. If we had a bunch of three-and-outs, we could be concerned. Obviously we want to score. Just playing a quarter, you don’t really get a feel. I think we’ll get a better feel this week with two, maybe three quarters of red zone play, but like I said, as long as everyone comes out healthy, that’s my main concern.”

(On what the main goal is other than staying healthy)

“You always want to play well. I was disappointed with a couple of things I did last week but at the same time, it doesn’t mean anything. You have to play as hard as you can to not get injured. You want to play well, but at the same time it doesn’t mean anything.”

(On the benefits of having QB Gus Frerotte to help him adapt to Coach Linehan’s style)

“There’s a lot more leeway in our meetings and with our reads and I kind of ask him where he was when he first started learning the plays, what the progression was. So in that respect, it’s nice. He obviously wasn’t here so he didn’t know the verbiage, so I’m doing that on my own. As far as some of the reads, it’s nice to have him.”

(On the preseason being too long)

“We talk about it every year. You need to evaluate guys to see where they’re at, who’s going to make the team. You need one or two games to get back in to the swing of things, but I think we all know it’s not going anywhere so there is no point in beating a dead horse.”

(On needing the games to get in sync with WR Torry Holt and WR Isaac Bruce)

“No. We’ve got five weeks of practice, a lot of days, twice a day. So we’re in sync, I think we’re alright.”

(On having difficulty scoring from 20-yards out)

“I hope not. I don’t think it will be an issue. I think we’ll definitely be able to run the ball better this year. I think that was probably the main issue on the pass. You’ve got to be able to run the ball in the red zone and we weren’t effective at that. That will open up some passes and get play action. Until we start putting it in, I guess we’ll talk about it but even if we score four times this week, it all goes away Monday morning.”

(On there being more things to install offensively)

“I think you’ll always add things in the NFL, but I think our base offense is in. Just different ways to get there, different motions and formations to get the different concepts.”

(On if he has audibled in the five series he’s played so far)

“Not specific audible, where I got out of a play, but he’s called run-pass plays, one run, one pass plays and I’ve gotten to pass when we had to run, but it’s not like I’ve completely changed the play either.”

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Head Coach Scott Linehan--August 24, 2006

I'm glad to hear that the Red Zone offense is getting some attention.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Let Torry sit. We all know what he can do.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

You always want to play well. I was disappointed with a couple of things I did last week but at the same time, it doesn't’t mean anything. You have to play as hard as you can to not get injured. You want to play well, but at the same time it doesn't’t mean anything.”
    If it doesn't mean anything then why play? To me it means getting your timing down, which appears to need some work. How about continuity with the entire offense so that you don't look like your still playing a preseason game on Sept. 10th.

Come on Marc; "Get er done!"
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

HoltFever is offline Registered User

We do know what Holt can do. but kc is good