throwback week

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Head Coach Scott Linehan, August 5

Head Coach Scott Linehan
    August 5, 2008

(Opening Remarks)
    “It was good work. It’s really good weather to practice in. I know it is going to be warmer down there, who has any idea what the weather is going to be. It was nice; it had some humidity to it. Our guys got a lot of mental work yesterday, but without the physical work, but we ran them pretty good today. You know we are ready to go. We’ve got a lot of things to get done to get down there. A lot of guys to get packed and ready to go, and so we get our first test of how we can travel right now.”

(On WR Dane Looker’s versus the other young wide receivers)
    “Well Dane is Dane. I don’t know any other way to describe him. The guy just knows every position. He could kick if we had to. He could punt if we had to. I mean the guy’s value really is no limit to him. He’s doing a great job in the receiver spot, handling all the positions and basically being ready to step in wherever needed.”

(On WR Dane Looker being challenged every year and stepping up)
    “I’m sure he’s got a little of bit Rodney Dangerfield kind of feeling sometimes. You know sometimes you get labeled a utility man or whatever, a holder. I mean Dane is everything. I mean he’s not really, I don’t think it is fair to say that any of that, I think he is a really, really good football player.”

(On the benefits of working against another team)
    “Well, first of all they have a different defensive structure, so offensively we are lining up against somebody that plays kind of a different philosophy. They have a different offensive philosophy, so you get to see some things that maybe not seeing against our own offense. So I think what it does is it gives us another phase that we can work on without just playing the preseason game, but in a controlled environment. The whole idea is that it ups the competitive level of practice. There’s no Knute Rocknes needed. You got out there, you are ready to go. You are also able to get real quality work, especially with your first couple units because of the controlled environment. You don’t really worry too much about how many snaps they might have on a particular day. It’s just like another practice.”

(On the benefits of working out with Tennessee in terms of individual work)
    “You are servicing each other competitively and personnel wise. That all factors into it, and I think that’s why the teams that do it really feel the benefit of it. I think the teams that don’t do it are worried about the fights and the injuries and all that stuff. But, if you’ve got the right kind of group, and I know (Head Coach) Jeff (Fisher) pretty well and I know he’s done it for a lot of years, he understands what you want to get done from a couple of days of work like that. Our goal is to get better as a football team and then get ready to play our first preseason game and get a lot of things done in these three days.”

(On looking forward to going to Tennessee)
    “It’s great timing right now, it’s about that time where you need to turn the page to something. Preseason has officially started and we’re one of the last first games. A lot of teams, I think are playing even Thursday and Friday and we’re playing Saturday. It’s taken us awhile to get here, and we’re kind of accelerating that a little bit by working against Tennessee, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday.”

(On what the players will be doing this afternoon prior to their departure)
    “Some guys have time to get some lifts. We have a little bit of time. We’re not going to meet this afternoon, so they can do that. We have to get treatment, get a good treatment today; utilize the facility. But, really do a good job of getting hydrated and getting a good meal and our first test of how we travel, sticking with the plan and all those things. It’s here, as far as our first break at camp.”

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

Re: Head Coach Scott Linehan, August 5

I am actually fairly ambivalent when it comes to Linehan as a coach, but man, that guy is somewhat of a less than focused when it comes to being interviewed. He's all over the map.

I get into stream of conscienceness monologues as much as the next guy, but so many times I find myself thinking "What did he just (or actually) say?

Eloquent, he ain't. Makes Yogi Berra look like Bill Buckley, may he rest in peace. There was someone who was fun to listen to.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".