RamWraith is offline Registered User

Head Coach Scott Linehan--Monday, October 16, 2006

(Opening statement-injury report)

“Madison Hedgecock, like we said last night, has a broken right thumb. He’ll have surgery tomorrow afternoon. He could possibly be available though for the San Diego game, obviously in a cast. We’ll know more about that. He’s got to get the swelling out. The main reason he’d probably be available is because we’ve got the week off, so he’ll be able to get the swelling out and all that. Fakhir Brown’s been certainly hobbled by the ankle. Hasn’t been able to go the last few games. It’s improving daily. He should be ready for San Diego, baring any setback, I would think. Everybody else is just the normal. I don’t think there would be anybody that would really be a concern for, after a bye week, of being ready to go. Guys that have had things in the past. Nothing really to report there.”

(Opening statement-DE Anthony Hargrove trade)

“I’m sure you all got the information today on a trade between ourselves and Buffalo with Tony Hargrove. There had been some inquiries…Buffalo had had some injuries in their defensive line at the end position. We, to this point, have not had too many problems with having a full group of guys available each Sunday. With that in mind, we were able to come to terms with a trade for a draft pick. Trading deadline was coming up quickly, so we agreed to that.”

(Opening statement-game update)

“Games like this, you see them every week. Certainly feels better to be on the winning end, but we’ve been on the favorable side of a couple of tight games, and we weren’t able to win this week. We’ve got to take both of those, victories and losses, with the same amount of focus, and still maintain that 24-hour period, which is a lot easier to do after a win, than a loss, but we’ve got to do it. I think this bye gives us an opportunity to get some guys healthy. I think our fullback position has, certainly, been one now that’s a concern…but possibly Madison being back. Our secondary's been a little banged up, but we should be able to ensure a full group of secondary guys back; assuming we don’t have any setbacks with them going into the San Diego game. It’s really important that we maintain that level of consistency with what we’re doing, and work to improve on a daily basis. You’ve got to do it, win or lose.”

(On possible alternatives if Hedgecock can’t play at San Diego)

“It looks like Paul’s best outlook is four weeks. That could be four weeks from the time of the surgery, or four games. Whichever comes first. I would think four weeks from today would be realistic to consider him playing, but I don’t any sooner than that. We know there’s a chance that Madison will be available. We will look at some fullbacks this week. The problem is that both guys are still on the roster, so to bring in another fullback, you’d have to cut somebody. We do have a roster spot right now, but we are also going to be looking at some possible defensive line candidates too this week. There won’t be anything earth-shattering going on, other than we’ll be working out some…it’s a good time to do it during bye week. Working out some guys to fill in some areas. We’re short a man now for our practice in the D-line, and we’re short a couple fullbacks for the same reason. We’ll actually look at both and try to bring in a guy that makes the most sense right now. Hopefully we’ll be able to get through with Madison being able to get back, and being able to use Dominique Byrd a little bit more in some of those type sets would be an alternative as well.”

(On if they could get by with only three defensive ends)

“You could. It’s really hard to practice though, as far as getting guys the reps they need with the first unit, and also being show team reps as well. It would make sense, though, to bring in another defensive line candidate, for nothing else other than to have a guy that can help us get through practice.”

(On Hargrove’s situation being a statement or message to the rest of the team)

“I don’t believe, really, too much in sending messages, or making statements. It is, certainly, a trend for our program to progress towards a level of consistency that we want to achieve. We certainly aren’t there yet, but I think our players have 100 percent bought into that program. I really honestly think the world of Tony. You’ve had a chance to get to know him better than me. He’s a real likeable guy. He’s got a lot of talent. He’s been fighting with the level of consistency that we command and want to reflect as part of our program, and was working towards that. I think it was a thing where…I told him, ‘To be honest with you, if we didn’t have a major problem right in the middle of the season, I’m not sure we would be having this discussion today,’ when I was talking about the trade. That’s real life. I feel bad that it didn’t work out. I told him that I wish him nothing but the best. We would always do whatever we could, and work very hard to what we could to help him. It just didn’t work out here. Sometimes a change of scenery is good for not just our franchise, but for Tony. He’s going to go back and play for the guy that really pushed the hardest to get him drafted. He’s a heck of a coach, Bill Kollar. I think sometimes change is good for both.”

(On if his two-day absence was the “problem in the middle of the season”)

“It was a set back. It was a set back certainly for Tony, but our team in that we were working towards a direction with our defense and our defensive front. We’ll overcome it, and move on. I think Victor’s filled in very well for a young player. I think Claude Wroten’s coming on now. I think a lot of that factors into it as well.”

(On DE Brandon Green’s performance)

“Brandon for a few weeks has been hobbled somewhat. He would never tell you or complain about it, but he’s had a sore ankle. A lot of it is something that can be corrected at the end of the year, but nothing that he can’t play with. He’s improved. We sat him two weeks ago. He wasn’t able to play 100 percent, and did a nice job and hit to role that you’re speaking of, as far as the swing defensive end. He gives us a guy with a high motor and is very consistent for what we ask him to do. He’s one of those guys that you can count on you’re going to get everything, and more, out of Brandon every time he plays.”

(On the decision to have S J.R. Reed inactive against Seattle)

“A couple of things. One was our concern with the secondary position. I think the fact that we were able to bring Carpenter back…he’s got a lot more experience in the back end if something were to happen. We dropped our defensive backs like flies the week before, and we were in kind of a potential critical problem with what was in another secondary player. We still were really in the same position we were in going into this game. We just felt that we were going to be able to ensure ourselves a guy that probably a little bit more comfortable with our defense if we needed to call on him. Plus, Carp’s pretty good special teams player in the core teams. I told J.R. it was really nothing he did, or didn’t do or anything like that. It was more to back ourselves up in the secondary, and to give Kevin a chance. We haven’t really gotten there with our return game when it comes to our kickoff returns. I think our punt returns are showing some promise. We had designed a lot of returns this week that would hopefully, and it didn’t work out that way, but hopefully play to Kevin’s strengths. He was going to get a bulk of the returns anyways, so it just made sense this week to do it that way.”

(On if he will continue to use Curtis as a kickoff returner)

“We’ll continue to work it there. We’re still trying to find our identity there in our returns, and I think…a combination of who’s returning and how we’re blocking, like anything else, if a certain unit’s not doing as well as we expect, or at a standard that we set, we’ve got to all be accountable for it and improve on it. I think we’ve got to improve our ability to return, not only with who’s catching the kicks and returning them, but who’s blocking. I think that’s going to all be part of it. We’ll continue to keep searching and trying to find an answer there.”

(On the officials ruling that an illegal formation penalty does not result in a 10-second clock runoff)

“It’s correct. An illegal formation, if everybody is set, is not one of the 10-second runoff plays. It’s a little confusing as to which ones are and which ones aren’t. We have a running, updated rulebook in the NFL. In college you have the rulebook, but in the NFL you have an amended rule book because they adjust it because of some play that has happened in the past, like when somebody jumps offsides on purpose to stop the clock. I think the integrity of the 10-second runoff is in question here. The whole idea is that you can’t have an illegal play of any kind without any timeouts while the clock’s running, to ensure the chance that you get a chance to get a kick. I’m sure that’s the integrity of the 10-second runoff. The problem with that is, this particular incident that has come up was never really one of the ‘four or five scenarios,’ where there has to be actually a procedure play, like a guy jumping offsides purpose. To be honest with you, if you really think it out, you could really save some time, and I’m going to talk to the officials about this. If you have a long play now, what I would say is that Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce should run up and snap the ball to each other. Everybody stands still, it’s an illegal formation, there’s only one guy on the ball and one ineligible taking the snap. Snap the ball and clock it (because) it is only 5-yard penalty. I think that there is a case for that. You start to talk about a drastic scenario that could come up, but there are rules that have come up. I’m sure it wasn’t designed that way, but it doesn’t change, so we’re going to have to figure out a way to use that to our advantage at some point. The thing about it, and not to lament over a loss, is that it is the correct call. They explained it; it was a little confusing at the end whether it was a procedure (penalty). I didn’t really know what the penalty was initially. I think the whole idea about that 10-second runoff is a little bit in question as to what penalties are okay and what penalties aren’t. It might come up once a year, but that would certainly be a tool. I would think that the easiest thing would be to have the receivers that are 25 yards down the field, snap it to each other and everybody else stay put. You save approximately 10-15 seconds when you do that. Before they really stressed lining up in a legal formation (and) making sure everybody’s facing the line and seven are on the ball. We went through that drill quite often. I promise you they’re going to have to figure out a way because that’s what we’re going to do. We’ll figure out a way to get that as one of the penalties that is a runoff, but it doesn’t help us now.”

(On there possibly being two penalties on the play)

“The only foul that was explained to me was the illegal formation and it wasn’t one of the 10-second runoff fouls. It was never any explanation that there were two fouls. Obviously we would have taken the one that ran off the clock if that was the case.”

(On giving up so many sacks to Seattle)

“A couple of them were coverage sacks. We talk about avoiding sacks as a team goal. It’s one of those things that we have to manage better. I still tip my hat to them because they did a good job of bull-rushing our tackles and not letting the pocket be even with that rush because Marc (Bulger) is a guy that likes to step up in the pocket. So we have to adjust to that. We’ll see more of it, but that doesn’t make it okay. It’s certainly something we have to work on. They did a good job of it. A lot of it is being in those third and longs that you have to try to avoid. I have to look at what was called there, as far as the timing of plays and try to help them out as well.”

(On where he expected the Rams to be going into the bye)

“I don’t know if you put a record on it, but you’d love to be in a great position and you’re going to be okay with a good position. I think we’re in a good position. Certainly, the loss puts us in a different position than we’d be in if we had won the game, as far as our division, but we’re still in a good position. We basically finished the first six games with a winning record. We have the ability now to evaluate what we’re doing in all three phases and get a little bit healthier. The injury bug is starting to catch up to us, as far as guys missing games, time, and practice. I’ve been on teams that had the bye a lot sooner and it’s really hard to evaluate what you need to work on, and getting healthy is kind of irrelevant because you haven’t played enough games. At this point, I think it will help us, even though we don’t have a lot of guys on the injury report, but we do have a lot of guys that need to get healthier so we’re able to go into the last 10 regular season games and just refocus what we need to do. We will still focus on the next game, but do so with a full battery of players.”

(On Seattle outplaying the Rams in the second half)

“I still think they have a heck of an offensive team that hasn’t played as well. They found themselves a little it, came out, executed very well on third down in the second half, which gave them rhythm. Once you’re able to do that, and the quarterback starts to get comfortable, a guy especially as good as Matt (Hasselbeck) can pick you apart. I think that had something to do with it. They did run it. They came out and weren’t able to get any yards running the ball against us in the first half. They were able to establish a rhythm by being able to convert third downs and run it better. I think that was it in a nutshell. They were able to execute things that they weren’t able to execute in the first half. They hit a big play which was really a big momentum play when they got the long touchdown called back for a hold and they were able to hit the long pass down the middle, which I think might have been the key play of the game. We just have to do a better job in that situation of not giving up the big play.”

(On giving up a third-and-long to Seattle)

“That was a tough play and I think no one’s to blame. Certainly we have to pay attention to every situation and not relax in any situation. Just because we have a team in third-and-extra long doesn’t mean it’s time to be not sound on what we’re doing. I think that’s what happened and we got a little out of position. It’s a tough lesson to learn, but hopefully we won’t repeat that one.”

(On this week’s schedule)

“We went through our normal Monday procedure today. We watched some tape and made the corrections. Our players had a life-skills presentation that they do every year, so they were able to do that this week. Tomorrow we will work on things we need to improve on, as far as the Rams, nothing real specific as far as out next opponent. We’ll continue to look at things we need to improve on and still follow that up with things were doing well. We’ll watch film and go out and practice for about an hour and 15 minutes. We’ll give some of our 1’s some time off. They really need to get healthy, so we’ll give our 1’s some more time and younger players and backup players who aren’t getting many snaps in practice (will be more involved). We’ll practice against ourselves for the most part and work on Rams vs. Rams tomorrow. We’re going to spend Wednesday trying to get a little head-start on San Diego. It’s a good time to self-scout yourself and look at what you’re doing well and not doing well. If you have to make adjustments, you can have those discussions now because you’re not under the gun so much. Once we get through Wednesday we’re going to take a little time off. The players will be done and once we get through Thursday the coaches will have some time off too. The coaches haven’t had any time off since the day before training camp. They’ve been working very hard and need to get fresh as well.”

(On TE Dominique Byrd getting more playing time)

“He’s working very hard having a role on special teams. With our fullback situation right now, that enhances his potential to play. He’s always been a gifted receiver and we’re going to continue to find ways to utilize two tight end sets with him included. He’s also got to fill-in until we get our fullback situation a little bit healthier. That’s really it. He’s been working hard in the weight room, in film study, and doing all those things that rookies tend to have to do in their first year. He’s earning his way out there, slowly, but surely.”

(On Byrd’s progression as a blocker)

“He’s trying. Like I always said, ‘Blocking is 10 percent technique and 90 percent desire,’ especially when you’re talking about the guys that play out in space. He plays in space more than he plays in the box. So, I think he’s grasping that concept and understand what it’s going to take for him to play more and more.”

(On WR Torry Holt’s fourth quarter touchdown catch)

“That rates up there with the all-time greatest concentration catches I’ve ever seen. I’ve been lucky enough to see him and I know you guys have seen Torry do this for a number of years. That was unbelievable concentration in such a critical part of the game. Unfortunately, it didn’t end up being the game-winning catch, but that was one of the greatest plays I think I’ve seen in a long time. It would’ve been the play of the day if you win the game. If you don’t win the game it’s kind of an afterthought highlight. It’s just kind of sad for that particular play. He never ceases to amaze me. He’s one of the best players I’ve ever seen.”

(On facing a prevent defense)

“There are two ways to look at it. It makes you use up time, so you’ve got to be somewhat aggressive as you attack it because you can check the ball down so much. If you need a field goal it’s different than if you need seven, so you have to aggressively attack that. Like it happened to us in the game, you can’t assume that you’re going to have all day to throw the ball against a three-man rush anyway. It makes it so that there are fewer holes for us to attack the field vertically when you play against a prevent, but you definitely have to have a plan against it.”

(On the Rams’ games being decided on the final possession)

“We’ve been in that position each week. I don’ think it’s that uncommon. I think it’s pretty common that the last possession will make or break the game in the NFL. It just so happened that it’s really been the last play with us. We’ve had a couple of scenarios where we’ve been kneeling on the ball at the end. The first game we actually ran the clock out. It was one of those deals where we actually got a big turnover on Denver’s last drive and then we were able to stay on the field and run it out. We took knee down on the five going in, so that was a little different. I think each game usually comes down to the last possession.”

(On QB Marc Bulger’s progress)

“He’s really been progressing. You take a lot of things for granted that Marc does because he has such an even keel about himself, he goes about his business. He’s not one of those guys that are out in the front, he just does his job. He’s worked very hard at improving his game on a weekly basis, and he does it by how he approaches his job. He’s a true pro and knows he has a role on this team, but he also knows that he needs to be a quarterback in an offense that requires the quarterback to do a lot more things than just throw the ball. He manages our run game and does all those things. I gain more and more appreciation for the little things that he does, as far as his accuracy. He’s really on top of situations and he knows more and more what we expect as far as still being aggressive yet, at times not making throws that don’t need to be made. He’s improving weekly and I’m very, very pleased with his progress.”

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Head Coach Scott Linehan--Monday, October 16, 2006

(On TE Dominique Byrd getting more playing time)
    Honestly, I would not feel great about our running game if Byrd has to make the start at fullback. Camp reports indicated that he's not playing at tight end because he's not blocking at the level he needs to be blocking at, so putting him back at fullback where he's going to be the lead blocker makes me a bit uncomfortable. When the first thing your coach says about how well you're doing is that you're trying, it doesn't leave me optimistic.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

bela is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Linihan
    To be honest with you, if you really think it out, you could really save some time, and I’m going to talk to the officials about this. If you have a long play now, what I would say is that Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce should run up and snap the ball to each other. Everybody stands still, it’s an illegal formation, there’s only one guy on the ball and one ineligible taking the snap. Snap the ball and clock it (because) it is only 5-yard penalty.
    This isn’t an accurate statement.

I posted a brief analysis of the rule in this thread: http://www.clanram.com/forums/forumd...e=2&order=desc

You can download the NFL rulebook from Sando’s blog here: http://blogs.thenewstribune.com/medi...20RULEBOOK.pdf

If you go to page 32, you will see Rule 4, Article 3, Section10. An excerpt follows:

Quote Originally Posted by Rule 4, Section 3, Article 10

Action to Conserve Time

Article 10 A team is not permitted to conserve time inside of one minute of either half by committing any of the following acts: fouls by either team that prevent the snap (i.e., false start, encroachment, etc.), intentional grounding, an illegal forward pass thrown from beyond the line of scrimmage with the intent to conserve time, throwing a backward pass out of bounds with the intent to conserve time, and any other intentional foul that causes the clock to stop.
    Please note the bold/underlined catchall in the rule.

The catchall of “any other intentional foul that causes the clock to stop” is in the rule exactly for the type of uncontemplated situation like Coach Linihan described. It allows leeway for referees to call the run-off where teams deliberately circumvent the rule by, for example, having one receiver snap the ball to another.

I understand this was a tough loss for the new coach. We Seahawk fans learned a tough lesson about complaining about calls last Superbowl though. The call was correct, the rule is fine – Coach should be focusing on his defense and coming up with a way to slow down LT, not officiating which, as has been shown, was correct.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by bela View Post
    I understand this was a tough loss for the new coach. We Seahawk fans learned a tough lesson about complaining about calls last Superbowl though. The call was correct, the rule is fine – Coach should be focusing on his defense and coming up with a way to slow down LT, not officiating which, as has been shown, was correct.
    He was asked a question about it and shared his thoughts. It doesn't sound like he's dwelling on it at all, which is what it sounds like you're implying. He said the right call was made, but like many other people, expressed some confusion about the rule. You make it sound like he's going on and on about it and isn't focused. The entire article shows he is in fact moving the team on.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

I posted a brief analysis of the rule in this thread: http://www.clanram.com/forums/forumd...e=2&order=desc

You can download the NFL rulebook from Sando’s blog here: http://blogs.thenewstribune.com/medi...20RULEBOOK.pdf

If you go to page 32, you will see Rule 4, Article 3, Section10. An excerpt follows:

The catchall of “any other intentional foul that causes the clock to stop” is in the rule exactly for the type of uncontemplated situation like Coach Linihan described. It allows leeway for referees to call the run-off where teams deliberately circumvent the rule by, for example, having one receiver snap the ball to another.

Sounds like all that obsessing over the rule book after your SB loss has come in handy

supachump is online now Registered User

Linehan is right. That is a rule that people can take advantage of. Not saying Seattle did (I'm sure they didnt). Just that it could be exploited.

It needs to be fixed.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I would like to read that Linehan is pissed, just once. All this diplomacy kills me. Where's the fire ????

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

You mean like Dennis Green's post-game tirade?

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    You mean like Dennis Green's post-game tirade?
    Good point. If players responded to manic blowups, the Cardinals would be the best team in the NFL.

Green just looked stupid up there. I would not want a head coach of the Rams doing stupid stuff like that

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I would like to see a little Bill Parcells attitude though....

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

"Methinks the man doth protest too much".

Two things, Bela.

How do the refs know Seattle's ililegal formationn WASN'T intentional, and I noticed you didn't quote Linehan's questioning why he wasn't given a choice of which penalty to accept, (assuming there were two, which I believe. Little would be kinda' dumb to make that upas refs have long memorys).
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".