throwback week

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Head Coach Scott Linehan October 11, 2007

Head Coach Scott Linehan

October 11, 2007

(Opening Remarks)

“Isaac (Bruce) did not practice. (Marc) Bulger was limited in practice. (Corey) Chavous was limited in practice. (Gus) Frerotte had a full practice – that’s just an ankle he’s getting much better. Dante Hall is out for this game. James Hall is full practice. Tye Hill is full practice. Torry Holt was full practice today. Steven Jackson is out. Dane Looker is out and Raonall Smith is out.”

(On the status of WR Isaac Bruce)

“It’s highly unlikely that he will be able to play this game. We’re hopeful for the next game.”

(On if S Corey Chavous will be a game-time decision)

“It’s hard to say. I’m encouraged because he’s out here. We’ll make it a game-time decision.”

(On S Todd Johnson)

“Todd will start. He looks just fine.”

(On CB Tye Hill)

“Tye Hill will play, if he doesn’t have a setback between now and tomorrow. I don’t know about starting, but he will play definitely in nickel.”

(On if Hill was sore after practice yesterday)

“No, he’s been good. He did some more contact work even after practice for mental reasons more than anything.”

(On WR Brandon Williams and/or S Bhawoh Jue being active against Baltimore)

“I anticipate both of them being up. They’re going to have significant roles starting out on special teams.”

(On TE Joe Klopfenstein earning more playing time)

“He’ll play more this week and he had a good game on special teams last week. We’ve been off to a slow start, but I’ve seen a noticeable difference in him and he had a real good week in practice so far this week.”

(On if Klopfenstein’s blocking has improved)

“Yeah – we had a couple of not good stretches there. He was not the only one that had things to improve on. He didn’t play last week enough to confirm any of those things. He’s had a couple of good weeks of practice and deserves some more playing time.”

(On the distinguishing characteristics of Baltimore’s defense)

“They have the players for it. They have a confidence and a swagger about them. Rae Lewis gets those guys at a peak level. His leadership, as far as being the man in the middle and getting them all cranked up all the time has been their trademark. That has not changed. It’s a combination of that. They have multiple looks and they do blitz a lot and the ability to play 3-4 and get in and out of the four-man front is a challenge for the offense.”

(On Baltimore’s receivers being some of the toughest the Rams have faced this season)

“Their receivers are very good and when you throw (Todd) Heap in the mix now. He’s missed some time and he’s expected to play. He probably makes it complete. (Steve) McNair’s confidence in (Derrick) Mason and playing with him all those years, shows up, especially in third down and the red zone. The other guys are guys that show up when they go to them. The (Demetrius) Williams kid makes spectacular plays and has great size and range. When I was at Miami we really liked (Mark) Clayton as a receiver that can play all over the place with great speed. He really is a match up issue. He’s basically a tight end. When he lines up as a receiver it is a real problem for corners. Ultimately you have a quarterback who knows how to get those guys the ball.”

(On how Heap compares to Dallas TE Jason Witten)

“I don’t know. They are different type players, but they’re both elite players at that position. Heap has that great size and does have the ability to run balls down. He has great speed. I remember him when he was at Arizona State – the range he has. He can line up as a receiver in the red zone and they throw him fades like they throw Randy Moss which is a big weapon.”

RB Brian Leonard

October 11, 2007

(On playing behind the same offensive line for the second consecutive week)

“Last game they did a heck of a job, so obviously that’s going to bring confidence to this upcoming game, so we’re ready to go. The guys did a great job last game opening some big holes.”

(On if the consistency along the offensive line makes it easier for him)

“I’m sure the offensive line gets in their routine with the same group of guys in there – not having to move to different positions and things like that. For the running back, you just read your blocks and hit the hole. It’s not too much of a difference for me, but I’m sure it’s a big difference for those guys.”

(On if the no-huddle offense worked well against Arizona)

“I think so. I don’t think they were prepared for it and we came out and got them on their heels and they didn’t have time to adjust, so we hit some runs and got some big passes.”

(On Baltimore LB Ray Lewis)

“He’s a heck of a player, he’s a big guy, he’s fast; he pretty much does it all. I obviously have to have a knack for (knowing) where he is.”

(On blocking in pass protection)

“That’s all I did my senior year in college, so I’m used to it; I’ve done it a lot. That’s my thing.”

(On playing on the road against a solid defense like Baltimore)

“They’re a great defense and with Ray Lewis leading them, obviously they’re going to be a pretty solid group. We have to come out prepared and do what we did last week in the running game – open some holes and make some big plays.”

(On recording the first 100-yard game of his career against Arizona and what that does for his confidence)

“I think every game builds more confidence, even if it’s the preseason. Obviously it’s just another game that I developed. I don’t know if that’s the game specifically that gave me the most confidence; really just every game naturally gives me more confidence.”

(On the difference between the Dallas game and Arizona game in terms of how comfortable he was)

“Obviously every game you get more confidence. Last game I got a couple carries and this game I got a few more carries, so it’s just every game that you get more carries, you get more confidence.”

(On the leaders of the team)

“We do have great leaders on this team and great character, too. Even though we’re 0-5 right now, guys are coming together as a group instead of falling apart. That’s what we need to do is come together and get our first one under our belt and hopefully get on a roll.”

(On if he preferred watching the Rams offense or the Ravens defense growing up)

“Has to be offense. I’ve played offense my whole life, my whole career, so I’m just an offensive guy. That’s what I watch when I’m watching the game; I watch the offense and see what they’re doing. Obviously, the Rams offense.”

(On his impressions of the Ravens defense growing up on the East Coast)

“They’re just a solid group of guys with Ray Lewis leading that team. They make plays. They’ve held backs under 100 yards every game this year I think. They’re a solid group and we have to come out prepared and ready to go.”

(On if he looks forward to the 100-yard mark as a challenge)

“Absolutely. It’s a challenge our whole offense looks forward to…to get out there and break that (100-yard mark).”

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Head Coach Scott Linehan October 11, 2007

Baltimores receivers are not going to be problem.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Its not the Ravens offense that worries me. Am actually expecting that the Rams will win the game on defense. Perhaps the Rams offense will eekout 13 points, but seriously think the Rams will win with defensive scores. Likely I am wrong but its a feeling based on what the Ravens can't do and how close its been the Defense at times pulling off a hat trick

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

They have multiple looks and they do blitz a lot and the ability to play 3-4 and get in and out of the four-man front is a challenge for the offense.”
    This is what bothers me about this weekend. No matter what logo is on the helmet, the Rams just don't match up well with a 3-4 transition front like the Ravens offer. Not to be a naysayer, but I got a bad feeling we'll see Hagans taking snaps before this games over.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    This is what bothers me about this weekend. No matter what logo is on the helmet, the Rams just don't match up well with a 3-4 transition front like the Ravens offer. Not to be a naysayer, but I got a bad feeling we'll see Hagans taking snaps before this games over.
    Funny you bring that up HUb. That thought has crossed my mind.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

The 3-4 has definitely caused us mass confusion, but with McCollum and Incognito in there along with an OL group that has finally stayed intact for a game, I'm feeling better about the situation.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    The 3-4 has definitely caused us mass confusion, but with McCollum and Incognito in there along with an OL group that has finally stayed intact for a game, I'm feeling better about the situation.
    Mike, I love the optimism, my man. But I can't help but think McC and RI have been in there before when the 3-4 has made us look bad.

But still, I'm with you; I'd rather have McC and RI in there than Franky Free Agent and Peter Practice Squad.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

I'd rather have McC and RI in there than Franky Free Agent and Peter Practice Squad.
    My thoughts exactly.