MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

With a 'head start,' Wroten aims to realize his potential ..

With a 'head start,' Wroten aims to realize his potential
    By Bill Coats
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    Saturday, Mar. 29 2008

Hearing his name and the "B" word in the same breath makes Claude Wroten wince.
    "I want to prove that I'm not a bust," he said, "so I've got to step my game up
    and start playing to my potential."

Potential was high on the Rams' checklist when they drafted Wroten, a defensive
    tackle from Louisiana State, in the third round (No. 68 overall) of the 2006
    draft. He was raw, but they were intrigued by his strength, quickness and
    ability to get to the quarterback.

Two NFL seasons later, Wroten has done little to reward the team's faith. Not
    only has he collected a mere 25 tackles, including just 1½ sacks, as a backup,
    he was suspended for four games last year for violating the league's
    substance-abuse policy.

Realizing that his status with the Rams was tenuous — after being reminded of
    such by defensive coordinator Jim Haslett — Wroten remained in town and has
    been working out regularly at Rams Park.

"I knew I didn't play well last season, so I didn't have any room to relax," he
    said. "I decided to stay at it."

The 6-foot-2, 295-pound Wroten, 24, said he wanted to get a "head start" on his
    teammates, who reported this week for the beginning of the offseason
    conditioning program.

Asked whether he regarded his third season as make or break for him with the
    Rams, Wroten quickly replied, "Oh, yeah." Then, flashing a smile, added, "I'm
    looking at it like the third time's a charm."

BROWN MOVES ON

Offensive lineman Milford Brown, who started 15 games for the injury-wracked
    Rams last season, has signed a free-agent deal with the Carolina Panthers.

The Rams gave Brown, 6-5 and 330, a one-year contract last July after he was
    released by the Arizona Cardinals. He was expected to provide depth, but he
    wound up making nine starts at left guard, four at right tackle and two at left
    guard.

GREEN JUST MOVES

Because he and wife Julie want their children to finish the school year in
    Florida, newly signed backup quarterback Trent Green figures that he's going to
    rack up plenty of frequent-flier miles over the next few months. And that he'll
    be forced to skip parts of the offseason program.

"It's going to be hard, just with the commute. I've talked with (coach) Scott
    (Linehan) about that and trying to figure out what's best," said Green, a
    Vianney High graduate who spent the 1999 and 2000 seasons with the Rams. "I
    will be here for all the OTAs and minicamp; I made that very clear.

"I want to be here as much as I can for the offseason program with still trying
    to be a dad and a husband."

HILL RECOVERING

The injury that ended cornerback Tye Hill's season in early December also could
    have threatened his career had he not received prompt medical attention. Hill
    dislocated his left wrist vs. Atlanta and woke up the next day with numbness in
    his hand.

"I knew something was wrong, but I just thought it was a sprain or something
    like that," said Hill, the Rams' first-round draft choice (No. 15 overall) in
    2006. "When I came in and told them I didn't have any feeling in my first three
    fingers, they were like, 'This is serious.' They started talking amongst
    themselves, and the next thing I knew, I was at Barnes-Jewish being prepped for
    surgery."

The pins were removed recently, and Hill is feeling frisky. "I'm not 100
    percent as far as lifting … but I should be good for OTAs, minicamp and
    training camp," he reported.

bcoats@post-dispatch.com | 314-340-8189

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Re: With a 'head start,' Wroten aims to realize his potential ..

Atleast the man is trying, he wants to prove something. Good for him, I like to see that. As far as Hill...Jesus that is scary..

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I really hope Hill comes back. He hasn't impressed me like Cromartie has...=/ but he has another chance. I haven't lost faith.

As for Wroten, I'm glad he's working on becoming a good player. We need all the good depth we can get.

Wolf is offline Registered User

It's good to see Wroten working hard to make the team and be a impact player for us. That's why I also love Marques Hagans because he worked his ass of last off-season to get from the practice squad to the actual roster. Good working people = good things in the long run for us.

Glad to hear that Hill's career isn't over. That'd be a shame. I'm not giving up on him at all. I think him and Fahkir can really be a good tandem if we get a pass rush and Fahkir stays out of trouble.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

The road to hell is paved with good intentions. Wroten has to translate it to the field on a weekly basis. I'm pullin' for him.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    Atleast the man is trying, he wants to prove something. Good for him, I like to see that. As far as Hill...Jesus that is scary..
    Bout time, wroten might actually realize his potential

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. Wroten has to translate it to the field on a weekly basis. I'm pullin' for him.

I agree, but I'm also not holding my breath. It's amazing that these guys just don't realize what a tremendous privilege it is to play in the NFL.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post
    I agree, but I'm also not holding my breath. It's amazing that these guys just don't realize what a tremendous privilege it is to play in the NFL.
    My thoughts exactly. You get this opportunity and then don't do everything possible to maximize your potential? I just don't get it. If Wroten can make it happen though, better late than never.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    I really hope Hill comes back. He hasn't impressed me like Cromartie has...=/ but he has another chance. I haven't lost faith.

As for Wroten, I'm glad he's working on becoming a good player. We need all the good depth we can get.

is worth noting when comparing them,that Hill hasnt had shawn merrimen & co terrorising the opposing QB for him and has been hampered by a staph infection in season 1 and a broken wrist in season 2!

it may be that Cromartie is better than Hill anyway(i do believe Hill is a better covering CB tho) but its worth considering all circumstances when evaluating all players!

i have plenty of faith in Hill to be part of our improvement on D!

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

In regard to Wroten...i do hope he can turn it around..he is still only 24 and theres some of this years draft prospects that are the same age as that!

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

With a 'head start,' Wroten aims to realize his potential
    By Bill Coats
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    Saturday, Mar. 29 2008

Hearing his name and the "B" word in the same breath makes Claude Wroten wince.
    "I want to prove that I'm not a bust," he said, "so I've got to step my game up
    and start playing to my potential."
    Perhaps he could have stated it more accurately by saying: "Since my overall production the last two years has been deserving of the "B" word, I am going to work as hard as I can and do everything possible to make a meaningful contribution to my team on the field this year, while keeping my nose clean in my private life."

I wish him well, but as others here have stated, talk is cheap. One would have to surmise that the Rams coaching staff along with the FO, have zero patience left ..

ramsplaya16 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post
    i think some of the players get the mentality that once they get paid, they dont need to work, they think that since they are already in the highest level of football, they have done everything they need to, so they dont work hard until they actually realize that their careers may soon be over.
    Built RAM tough

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

Agent: You know, Claude, that contract that got you all that money when you left LSU is going to run out soon.

CW: Yeah, so.

Agent: Well, looking at how you've played the past 2 seasons, in addition to the criminal activity you've been caught up in, I could probably get you an ok contract for some team somewhere, but you won't be making near as much money as before.

CW: Whoa, wait, hold on a minute. What are you saying? The money's going to run out?

Agent: That's exactly what I'm saying.

CW: Oh. Well, what should I do?

Agent: Just have one good year. If you have one good year with the Rams, we can start using the "p" word again.

CW: Aw man, not the P word agaiaaaaaaan.

Agent: Sorry Claude, your "P"otential is what got you your job and all that money, but we've got to have something tangible to use to squeeze the money out of em. How about giving it the ol' college try and putting in some effort this year, what'dya say?

CW: Okay, I guess.

Agent: Adda boy, now show your face at the team gym, act like you've got some self respect and be sure to find a reporter and tell em about how you're turning things around! That way, even if you can't be successful, we can make it look like you did everything possible but the Rams were the ones not giving you a chance. I'm sure I could talk the Raiders into spending some money on you as their answer to the loss of Sapp .................

(CW exits and interviews....
    Asked whether he regarded his third season as make or break for him with the
    Rams, Wroten quickly replied, "Oh, yeah." Then, flashing a smile, added, "I'm
    looking at it like the third time's a charm.")

Agent: ....that'll do Claude. that'll do-

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Glad for Hill. Hope he makes me look like a complete idiot doubting his ability. Besides, I can get over being an idiot a heck of a lot quicker than wading through the muck of another losing season.