RamWraith is offline Registered User

Hedgecock eyes reprisal/Game sold out - Coats

Hedgecock eyes reprisal in return to Dome
    By Bill Coats
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch

To paraphrase Roman General Maximus (Russell Crowe) in “Gladiator” . . . “My name is Madison Hedgecock, and I will have my revenge.”

A year later, Hedgecock still bristles at any mention of Scott Linehan or the Rams. The fullback from the University of North Carolina, a Rams seventh-round draft pick in 2005, was unceremoniously cut after the ‘07 season-opener. The Giants scooped up Hedgecock. He wound up with a Super Bowl ring and in November received a five-year, $5.5 million contract extension.

“I was fortunate, thankfully, but there’s no pride in that,” he told reporters in New York this week.

The Giants will be in town Sunday, and Hedgecock is itching for payback.

“I definitely had this one on my calendar,” he said. “I didn’t get a chance to prove myself there, so I’ll have to do it on another team. It’s a golden opportunity.”

Hedgecock didn’t like the manner in which he was “fired,” as he puts it. “They said, ‘Bring your playbook and come to the stadium,’” he recalled. “I was in shock.”

He also was unhappy that he was let go so that Richard Owens, a tight end/fullback who played under Linehan in Minnesota, could be signed. “They could’ve at least brought in somebody that was good,” Hedgecock said. “He was the coach’s buddy. I don’t want to play for a buddy.”

Owens no longer is with the Rams; Hedgecock is thriving with the Giants.

“Excellent fit,” coach Tom Coughlin said. “A physical, lead-blocking fullback that has good hands and can be a factor in the play-action game. And he’s done an outstanding job on special teams.”

Hedgecock vowed that despite his lingering anger, he won’t let his emotions get the best of him Sunday. “I have to keep those in check and do my job,” he said. “I’ll be ready to play.”

<><><>

Notes & quotes:

*Former holdout Steven Jackson, on how he expects the fans at the Dome to greet him Sunday: “Boos or cheers . . . I just have to go out and be in focus and in the zone of executing my job. I don’t know. I just know my parents will be there, and I’m happy to be able to see them.”

*Marc Bulger, on what reaction he expects for the team in the wake of the ugly loss at Philly: “They’re great fans, and certainly I want them behind us. But we have to play better to get them behind us. It’s up to us to get the fans back.”

*DE Leonard Little and G Jacob Bell sat out practice Thursday. Both have hamstring injuries.

*Former Rams owner Georgia Frontiere, who died in January, will be honored at Sunday’s game. Her name will be added to the Ring of Fame at the Dome.

*TE Joe Klopfenstein, a vintage car enthusiast, drives in 1980 Pontiac GTO.

*The Giants are gunning for their 12th road victory in a row.

eldfan is offline Registered User

Re: Hedgecock eyes reprisal/Game sold out - Coats

"*Marc Bulger, on what reaction he expects for the team in the wake of the ugly loss at Philly: “They’re great fans, and certainly I want them behind us. But we have to play better to get them behind us. It’s up to us to get the fans back.”

Nothing will do that faster than throwing TD's and a win.
    :ramlogo:

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Suffice it to say, I'm a lot more impressed with that one line from Bulger than just about any wind that comes out of Linehan's mouth. It certainly sounds like he's motivated to go out and play hard for the fans at least.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Suffice it to say, I'm a lot more impressed with that one line from Bulger than just about any wind that comes out of Linehan's mouth. It certainly sounds like he's motivated to go out and play hard for the fans at least.
    Yeah and Bulger put in a gazzillion hours during the offseason to improve on his worst season ever.

How'd that workout?

In my opinion Bulger needs to change his ways and start voicing his opinion on everything. We need a fire lit under this team and Marc's the guy that can do it.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

*Former holdout Steven Jackson, on how he expects the fans at the Dome to greet him Sunday: “Boos or cheers . . . I just have to go out and be in focus and in the zone of executing my job. I don’t know. I just know my parents will be there, and I’m happy to be able to see them.”
    I don't know about the other 60k people there, but I will answer this question for myself.

Steven Jackson.....I, HUbison, will cheer my larynx out for you and every other Ram out there. I wholeheartedly disagree with the principal that led you to dishonor your contract, but that was your decision to make, not mine. As well, I believe your holdout had more of a detrimental effect on your regular season play that you and others would like to admit. Hopefully, you are now up to speed.

But bottomline, you are a Ram; I am a Rams fan; I will cheer...................I can do nothing else.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod