general counsel is offline Registered User

hedgecock and the fullback spot on the roster

Does anyone on the board think that we will/should keep only one fullback on the roster? Keep in mind that paul smith is hurt somewhat and certainly didnt look very good vs. kc (according to linehan he missed several blocks).

Personally, i dont see anyway that we can afford to leave ourselves with only one fullback, and a damaged one at that.

I would love to hear if anyone has a different view on this.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: hedgecock and the fullback spot on the roster

i agree GC, i would rather see us keep 5 WR and free up a space for hedgecock,who also is dinged up,so maybe between the two of them we can get some decent fullback play and running 2 TE sets alot more maybe we can get this running game going and steven can have the big season that he said he is going to have.

If we keep hedgecock, we can also keep 6 wide receivers, but NOT if we want to also keep 5 dt's. brian howard/sandidge would have to get cut. As i posted a couple of days ago, i still believe thats the final spot up for grabs, i dont believe tight end number 4 is going to happen, although i believe we will try to sign collins and fred russell to the practice squad, along with whatever dt gets cut. if we cut a 6th receiver, i am sure we will have at least one if not two on the practice squad, specifically hagans for sure if no one else picks him up and dominique thompson, who i think has a lot more upside that pyatt, who is really just a return guy.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

RealRam is offline Registered User

Madison Hedgecock and Brian Howard. I'd really like for us to have both but, concerning these two players on the final roster: Hedgecock at FB.

Hedgecock's injury, I don't think will be an issue anymore by next week. I still think he could show and prove his aggressive blocking skills he was known for at North Carolina. And I think Stephen Jackson's productivity this year, especially this year, could seriously benefit from an effective FB asset such as Madison.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

I did want us to only carry one FB, but now with the injury problems that they are both having I believe we need to keep 2.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Does anyone on the board think that we will/should keep only one fullback on the roster? Keep in mind that paul smith is hurt somewhat and certainly didnt look very good vs. kc (according to linehan he missed several blocks).
    That's basically why I would say yes, keep Hedgecock on the final roster. Smith won the job but hasn't been all that consistent. Throw the injury on top of that and I think you've got to keep Hedgecock on. Unless they're planning on using Byrd as an H-back in that role, but his blocking isn't anything to write home about either.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Three
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Since they will be using a lot of two TE sets I can only assume they will go with one FB.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

I think 5 WRs on our roster (along with 1 or 2 on the practice squad) will be enough. Remember Linehan doesn't use anywhere near as many 4 or 5 receiver sets as Martz did, and we need that roster spot for another position. We have to keep Hedgecock around, I for one, am not completely sold on Paul Smith, and even if he turns out to be the best FB on our team we need insurance in case injury strikes. Hedgecock will be a good FB, I just hope it'll be for us.

On a related sidenote: am I the only one that thinks we made a mistake back a few years ago not resigning the Hammer (James Hodgins)? He was a great blocking FB and if I recall correctly he wasn't even asking much money. Like London Fletcher, Bryce Fisher and several others, I think he is one of the guys we shouldn't have let get away.

R.O.D., regarding The Hammer ... absolutely right, he was a big blocker, kind of bruising (not "kind in bruising"). He was a significant part of our running game. Remember that nice diving TD pass reception at the dome Vs. Packers?

He should still be playing as a Ram instead of playing against us as a Cardinal! But since it was a mistake to trade him, let's not make that same mistake on another big and promissing FB -- Madison Hedgecock.
    Last edited by RealRam; -08-31-2006 at 01:41 PM.

Hodgins was an outstanding blocker, but he did sign for big money for a fullback.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

He should still be playing as a Ram instead of playing against us as a Cardinal!
    I guess, technically.......but he hasn't seen the field since the end of the '03 season, and is injured now.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Re: Hedgecock and the fullback spot on the roster

Didn't look for the answers elsewhere.

a. Did Hedge and/or Smith play Vs. Miami last night?
    b. Any noteworthy FB action?
    c. Is one FB "less injured" than the other at this point?

Sure hope No. 44 is our starter! Mr. Madison. AKA Hitman Hedgecock.

SHOWTIME

MASSIVE is offline Registered User

Talking Re: hedgecock and the fullback spot on the roster

The final cuts are in and Madison Hedgecock made the team. Best news I heard all day-letting go of him would have been a mistake.

maxxdigger is offline Registered User

i think the rams need to get rid of either one and try to bring back the hammer james hogins who was just releashed saturday by the zona cards:l

MASSIVE is offline Registered User

Thumbs down Re: hedgecock and the fullback spot on the roster

Quote Originally Posted by maxxdigger View Post
    i think the rams need to get rid of either one and try to bring back the hammer james hogins who was just releashed saturday by the zona cards:l
    No way-James Hogins was great at one time but he is damaged goods.