Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RAMPAGE! is offline Registered User

The hell with a three year plan...

What are we calling a successful year one?

I would have to say record is not the top priority HOWEVER with that said 6-10 record is what I see as year one and respectable. With that said here comes the "BUT"

Keys for me is an un-recognizable transformation to our defense I want to see it attacking and relentless. Bend dont break is respectable.

Our Offense must show a ground attack like we have only dreamed of and an o-line that Bulger can be proud of.

Last but not least our special teams cannot be our achilles heel. If it is middle of the pack 16 overall I would be overjoyed.

To be continued...

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: The hell with a three year plan...

I'm not going to give you a number of wins, as its way too soon to be answering that question.

I will say that I want to see a team that competes every week, is in games in the fourth quarter, can pick up 3rd and short, protects the QB, can stop the run, and pressure's the QB.

That's a good start.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

This year we lost 5 games by a TD or less. If Spags can turn 3 of those around (ie. 5-11), I'll call it progress. But I will admit, watching what the Fins, Ravens, & Falcons did in one year makes me want to get a little greedy. I will certainly have to keep my expectations in check.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

You also have to be weary of the "quick fix." Look at the Saints under Sean Payton or the Jets under Eric Mangini. They turned around fairly quickly in their first year under their new coaches, but did not progress from there.

Its more important to install a winning system then it is to grab a few quick victories.

HornIt is offline Registered User

I think we'll know improvement when we see it.

Not getting blown out of the building by halftime agaisnt non-playoff teams like the Jets and Whiners will be a good start.

Some are going to look at the Falcons and Dolphins and think it can happen with the Rams like that. I'm not so sure. Those teams both made a dramatic change at the QB position and that's not happening with the Rams next season......I don't think.

I'm thinking something like the Titans when they were rebuilding. They were down in the dumps in 05' at 4-12 and have steadily improved each year since, going 8-8 then 10-6 and finally this season 13-3. If they are building this team the right way, I think we'll see a pattern similar to that.

and this is why Rams fans get so disappointed ...... expecting a team who won 2 games one year, to win the superbowl the next ..... sigh.

laram0 is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamDez View Post
    and this is why Rams fans get so disappointed ...... expecting a team who won 2 games one year, to win the superbowl the next ..... sigh.
    As long as we make it to the SUPERBOWL I'll be satisfied.

Seriously though, HUb said it. We lost 5 games by 7 points or less. Is it to much to expect 3 out of those 5 in the win column next season?

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by RamDez View Post
    Remember 99? How many games did the Rams win the year before in 98? I think it was 3 -- You just never know ...

I would rather a 2 or 3 year build up to a dynasty myself. I am fed up with roller-coasters

NJ Ramsfan1 is online now Registered User

One certainly must be realistic when assessing progress, but we've seen plenty of examples of teams turning it around the following year. It can CERTAINLY HAPPEN with us- the '99 Rams should have taught us all that lesson. I would suggest that it is a loser's mentality to "accept" or "hope for" 5 or 6 wins next year. As both a competitor and a fan, I WOULD NEVER ACCEPT such a standard for myself, a team I coach or a team I root for.

The Rams have some pieces in place. Let's hope for a good, solid draft and this new coaching staff to restore the pride.

sigh ............ first time I have been called a looser ........................

Nah, Dez, you read me wrong- I have too much respect for you guys than to call anyone a loser. I simply feel that you usually get what you expect- and if you expect very little out of a team, they'll probably live up to expectations. I believe in setting the bar high. EXPECT TO DO WELL, and at the same time be realistic. I think expecting 4 or 5 wins is setting an awfully low standard, especially when the season is 7 months away!!

but I never said 4/5 wins did I

I expect a winning season, every year. I just dont expect a superbowl next year like some of the members

I would rather right the ship and steam on for years to come.

No, Dez, you didn't say 5 or 6 wins, but others did. To me, 5 or 6 wins is NOT respectable. And in today's NFL, where teams can turn around quickly with shrewd personnel moves and good coaching, more is expected. I CERTAINLY expect to battle for a playoff spot, especially in our lousy division. I believe something like 6-8 teams were alive for the final two playoff spots with two weeks left in the season this year. I want us to be one of those teams and feel we'll be in the hunt if guys play to potential.

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I'm not going to give you a number of wins, as its way too soon to be answering that question.

I will say that I want to see a team that competes every week, is in games in the fourth quarter, can pick up 3rd and short, protects the QB, can stop the run, and pressure's the QB.

That's a good start.
    Oh man I pray for this...
    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    You also have to be weary of the "quick fix." Look at the Saints under Sean Payton or the Jets under Eric Mangini. They turned around fairly quickly in their first year under their new coaches, but did not progress from there.

Its more important to install a winning system then it is to grab a few quick victories.
    Amen, boi I'll tell ya, AV you are on it today, but I'll say this with the NFL you never know, we still have to see how the team responds to their new coach, system, and players that will come to the team who has ties to the new coaching staff....so until this summer....only time will tell.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast