throwback week

ramhard is offline Registered User

Here is an example why I don't like projects

This quote from our buddy Vermeil is an example of why I get nervous when the Rams reach for project players that might take some time to develop. If they never develop you've wasted a pick, and if they develop you often don't have their productive years for very long:

=========================
    Chiefs head coach Dick Vermeil said he understood the decision but was crushed to see reserve LB and special-teams ace Monty Beisel sign with the Patriots as a free agent. The loss is significant, considering that starting OLBs Shawn Barber and Scott Fujita are coming off knee and ankle surgeries, respectively. "I understand his decision. They told him he might be a starter," Vermeil said. "But we invested four years with the kid and converted him [from defensive end] and made him into a player at another position or else he's probably not even in the league. Then, all of a sudden, we get him to the point where maybe you can get even more miles out of him, and he's gone. I miss him already."

tanus is offline Registered User

Re: Here is an example why I don't like projects

blame the Chiefs FO for not locking him up.

ramstiles is offline Registered User

what would you rather have a project who might turn into a good player or a player you know only has a 75% chance of making the roster You have to gamble now and then

majorram is offline Registered User

I agree but that is life in the NFL.........

steve :ramlogo:

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

So what's stopping us from taking other people's projects. Even better, we've had our share of others castaways...Warner, Bulger, B. Fisher, Claiborne
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

sbramfan Guest

This is my main issue with Free Agency. The guys you draft, and groom, and invest all this time in, and then they walk after their 3rd of 4th year.

I again will state my check and balance proposal for this:

ANY contract on a player you drafted should only count 80% of his salary towards the cap, at all times.

True, salaries will go up a bit, but this would mean that for a team to take one of the guys you drafted, they would have to be willing to compete on a unfair level.

If a team offers the player 1 million dollars per year, you would be able to offer him the same amount, but only count 800,000 towards your cap, thus allowing more opportunity to retaing guys you've invested in.

It's not an amount that would stop someone from getting one of your players if they really want him, but is enough to give you a slight advantage in retaining him vs. your investment just walking away.

ramstiles is offline Registered User

If you invest time in a draft pick who turns into a good player you normally get the first opportunity to offer him a contract the ones we lose are the ones who want too much money. What makes you think that other teams good players will want any less money than ours and we cant afford them either The only free agents like claibourne that are good value are also a project they have not performed as well as expected thats why they are cheaper than the top free agents the rams see something in claibourne that makes them think he will play well for them as they do in project players they draft