RamWraith is offline Registered User

Here is a "Little" question

What will happen if the NFL suspends Little for a year or more. Or lets say he goes to jail for awhile. What happens to the Rams and the salary cap implications? Would he count? And if he did, why? Is this something the Rams are looking into?

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Here is a "Little" question

I can remember HowardB saying something about an escape clause written into every contract (or maybe just Little's, not sure) about if a player cannot perform due to legal implications, then the contract is null and void with salary cap implications, i.e. Rae Carruth. Little should play all of this year, what is up next year is anyone's guess at this point.

RamWraith is offline Registered User

so you are saying that a team can put in a contract that "if" something happens they are not responsible for the salary including what is reported the the NFL?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    I can remember HowardB saying something about an escape clause written into every contract (or maybe just Little's, not sure) about if a player cannot perform due to legal implications, then the contract is null and void with salary cap implications, i.e. Rae Carruth. Little should play all of this year, what is up next year is anyone's guess at this point.
    A sad but true necessity.

Tx, I'm not sure I understand. I see where the Rams would be free and clear of the contracted amount if Little goes to jail, but what would the NFL do with the salary cap implications?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Well, if someone is in jail they cannot perform their duties right? The NFL cannot punish teams for things legally out of their control especially if the clause is written into the contract which I do believe it is.

Now, if Little was riding a motorcycle and breaks his leg....different story. However, especially in LL's circumstances, if he breaks the LAW and goes to jail, his contract I believe is null and void and the Rams have cap space. Cap space they don't want, but cap space none the less.

general counsel Guest

I recently asked Mr. B this question on the old site and here is what he told me. I am paraphrasing here.

If he is convicted of a felony, we have the right to waive him. We would then be entitled to receive back from little the unearned prorated portion of the signing bonus. If we were able to get little to repay the remaining portion of the signing bonus that had not been allocated to the earlier years of the contract, we would then be able to have no adverse cap effect. If little didnt pay back the money, we are still on the hook for the remaining portion of bonus money that was paid, on an accelerated basis of course if we waive him.

Recovering money from Little is tricky for many reasons, one of which is there is no way to know what his financial situation is, especially once he gets done paying his lawyers. You would hope he had the money available to pay it back, but whether he would do so is another story. He could declare bankruptcy and discharge the obligation all together, but only if he lacked the assets.

should be interesting.

ramming speed to all

general counsel