Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Here is my #1... major concern for the 2014 season

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Here is my #1... major concern for the 2014 season

There have been threads started recently concerning our O-Line, Secondary and even Sam Bradford. All legitimate concerns for others but not me. Fisher has done a good job with our O-line for 2 years in a row. Our defense is solid and I'm not going to question Sam Bradford's abilities until the 2014 season is over.

What concerns me most is the WR position.

Other than Tavon Austin is anyone going to step up their game?

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: Here is my #1... major concern for the 2014 season

Nope. Most of us have this same concern, which is why we should draft Mike Evans at #13. He would be an excellent addition here.

THE DREAM TEAM

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Your concern is valid. There are reasons to think we'll have a better performance this year involving Austin as you said, but also we'll need to have Brian Quick deliver on his potential, Stedman Bailey will hopefully build on what he began late in the season and Chris Givens will get back to his rookie year performance. My thinking also is that Jared Cook will become adjusted to this offense making him more of a mismatch concern. With that happening it will force defenses to add coverage to Cook, leaving other receivers open.

Having said this I still think we need to add a WR, perhaps in round 2 or later. I like Jarvis Landry and Allen Robinson, but they may not be there. This is a deep WR draft so I do think we'll find some talent. I may be wrong and the Rams may take Mike Evans in round 1, but he's not a "silver bullet" either. I just don't see Sammie Watkins because he's too much like Austin. We need to find someone on the outside. Given how Seattle has found WR's in the late rounds and UDFA, we may go that route this year too.

Go Rams!
    Rambos likes this.

demiurge is offline Registered User

I think we are fine here. We had the youngest WR corps in the league by a large margin last year. Every year they grow and develop. Quick at SE, Austin in the slot, and Bailey at FL with Givens working into the rotation and bringing Pettis in on third downs works for me. Combine that with a strong 3 deep TE corps for the passing game. We need health on the O line and our franchise QB staying upright, and we'll be fine. With no running game at all Sam was having a career start last year.

Yes, they are young, yes they will continue to make mistakes, but there's tons of ability and a good work ethic in this group, and I think the potential for strong production is there for the next 5 years.

Quick is the one that worries me the most, but his numbers are comparable to Vincent Jackson's at this point in their relative careers. I LOVE his blocking, his concentration and routes still need work, but these guys often have the light go on in the 3rd season.
    mde8352gorams likes this.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by demiurge View Post
    I think we are fine here. We had the youngest WR corps in the league by a large margin last year. Every year they grow and develop. Quick at SE, Austin in the slot, and Bailey at FL with Givens working into the rotation and bringing Pettis in on third downs works for me. Combine that with a strong 3 deep TE corps for the passing game. We need health on the O line and our franchise QB staying upright, and we'll be fine. With no running game at all Sam was having a career start last year.

Yes, they are young, yes they will continue to make mistakes, but there's tons of ability and a good work ethic in this group, and I think the potential for strong production is there for the next 5 years.

Quick is the one that worries me the most, but his numbers are comparable to Vincent Jackson's at this point in their relative careers. I LOVE his blocking, his concentration and routes still need work, but these guys often have the light go on in the 3rd season.
    A lineup of Quick and Bailey could arguably be the worst starting 2 WR's in the league, which is sad. We don't have any good receiving TE's either apparently. Cook is all potential at this point and will most likely never even come close to being worth his contract. He has a terrible set of hands. Kendricks is better but he tends to disappear for long spurts.

Sending Sam out with these guys next year is asking for trouble. We NEED another starting WR. That way we at least have 1 guy who is definitely worthy of starting. Hopefully Bailey can continue to develop and make plays, as well as Tavon. But as of right now were still a bottom 10 offense no doubts about it.
    ramsbruce likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

Rambos is offline Registered User

What concerns me most is the WR position.
    I think it was hard to really evaluate the play and the growth of our young WR once Sam went down.

I think it hurt Givens the most as he and Sam did have the long ball chemistry going even in preseason. I have high hopes for Bailey to continue to make great catches and run even better routes, I don't think he played with Sam at all. He caught just about every ball thrown his way. Quick did play better then his rookie year but did not make a huge jump, my hope is he gets a chance to play more from day one. Pettis is what he is, good in the red zone. If we add a WR I'm fine with it, if we don't I'm fine with that as well.

The one FA I would like to add on a one year deal would be Jeremy Maclin. He would be a good fit and has played in the league long enough to help our young guys.
    Last edited by Rambos; -02-20-2014 at 01:47 PM.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I agree, which is why I'm warming up to the idea of taking Watkins or Evans. I think we have a potentially elite slot WR in Austin, and a bunch of No. 2s and 3s. While one could argue that you don't need a No. 1 WR to win it all (i.e. Seattle), I'd still like to have one.
    laram0 likes this.

RosieJones is offline Registered User

I agree that the Rams WR corps needs help, but I'd still rather they address OL and CB/FS with their first round picks (not that I want really matters).

They could still draft a potentially very good receiver in rounds 2-3 by looking at players like Davante Adams from Fresno State, Allen Robinson from Penn State, or even a player like Martavis Bryant from Clemson.

Haste is offline Registered User

If we take a guy like Evan's, does that mean the Quick experiment is over?

They seem pretty similar in what they 'could' do.

If Cook can live up to his potential, then it will really open up our offense like we thought it would last year.

RosieJones is offline Registered User

Cook is ok, but I don't think he'll ever play up to contract.
    ramsbruce and sosa39rams like this.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

We need a stud. We currently have a bunch of guys who do not "wow" anyone as being high-caliber, consistently productive players at the wide receiver position. And it goes without saying I feel it should be addressed with one of our top three picks.
    ramsbruce likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    A lineup of Quick and Bailey could arguably be the worst starting 2 WR's in the league, which is sad. We don't have any good receiving TE's either apparently. Cook is all potential at this point and will most likely never even come close to being worth his contract. He has a terrible set of hands. Kendricks is better but he tends to disappear for long spurts.

Sending Sam out with these guys next year is asking for trouble. We NEED another starting WR. That way we at least have 1 guy who is definitely worthy of starting. Hopefully Bailey can continue to develop and make plays, as well as Tavon. But as of right now were still a bottom 10 offense no doubts about it.
    Bailey is going to be better than average at least. His 1.9 pass rating over the last half of the season lead all Rams recievers - he'll be a starter if not this year the next. His numbers will dramatically improve when there isn't a journeyman QB handing the ball off 30 times a game.

Quick will either produce or he won't - but he is a definite bonus in the run game, and small college WRs often take several years to develop.

It would also help if our OC started using the vertical speed of our players in our route concepts - our YAC was horrible last year, and that was because of all the curls we were running.

As always people here aren't willing to give players time to develop. Quick is coming on his 3rd year, Bailey his second. This is BY FAR the youngest WR corps in the league. Only 13 rookies in the last 20 years have had 1000 yard recieving years, only 3 have had 10 TDs. Julio Jones managed neither. Neither did Torry Holt or Isaac Bruce. The last Rams WR to have a #1 caliber rookie season? The much vaunted Eddie Kennison. 54 receptions, 924 yards, 9 TDs.

The average tenure of a top 10 WR (by yardage)? 6.1 years in 2013.

These guys need time to mature and to get their timing down with Bradford.

Our TEs? Well, Cook had a somewhat disappointing year - and broke Rams TE receiving records. Best we've ever had OK with you?

There's definitely talent in our WR corps. Lack of turnover in our coaching and receiving corps, and a little better luck in the health department and we'll see a good showing.
    live4ramin likes this.

Mikey is offline Registered User

I wouldn't put the WR's over the OLine as a concern for me because of two things. Age and injury history. Our veteran WR is a ripe old age of 25. Saffold was the youngest OL of the starters last year. Production for the WR's can certainly be said to be underwhelming but I have more faith in them base on the youth than I do the OLine.
    live4ramin likes this.

MACD is offline Registered User

Did we retain Andrew Helmick on the practice squad? He was making waves in August, then had a leg injury. Seems like he had great hands. I wonder what a season of growth has done for him.

Quote Originally Posted by RosieJones View Post
    I agree that the Rams WR corps needs help, but I'd still rather they address OL and CB/FS with their first round picks (not that I want really matters).

They could still draft a potentially very good receiver in rounds 2-3 by looking at players like Davante Adams from Fresno State, Allen Robinson from Penn State, or even a player like Martavis Bryant from Clemson.
    Agreed, this is supposed to be a very good year for depth at WR.

Now I'm not saying a top flight WR wouldn't be a great addition to the team. Just 1) these guys normally need a couple of years before they get there, and 2) depending on how the front office deals with the contract situations in the OL, we might need help there more.

Of course, if they believe these are their guys and resign most of their OL, then we can go later rounds for developmental OL and go higher for an impact WR - and hope we get one. Again, its a relatively rare phenomenon to have a really impactful rookie WR.

From NFL.com:
    Over the last 10 years (2002-2012), NFL teams drafted 43 wide receivers in the first round. Of those, just 2 had 1000 yards seasons as rookies - the same number as all the wide receivers drafted in the other rounds.

26 of the 43 first round wide receivers never had a 1000 yard season, and of the other 17, 8 had only season where they gained 1000 yards.

Of course, you can have success in the league without a string of 1000 yards seasons, but I definitely get the feeling that's what people are talking about when they are speaking of a 'true #1 receiver', someone that reaches or comes close to statistical milestones like that.

Personally I'd be fine if we had no WR that had more than 600 yards and 6 TDs - as long as Bradford threw for 4000 yards, 30 TDs, and 8 picks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast