Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Here is my #1... major concern for the 2014 season

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: Here is my #1... major concern for the 2014 season

Quote Originally Posted by demiurge View Post
    Bailey is going to be better than average at least. His 1.9 pass rating over the last half of the season lead all Rams recievers - he'll be a starter if not this year the next. His numbers will dramatically improve when there isn't a journeyman QB handing the ball off 30 times a game.

Quick will either produce or he won't - but he is a definite bonus in the run game, and small college WRs often take several years to develop.

It would also help if our OC started using the vertical speed of our players in our route concepts - our YAC was horrible last year, and that was because of all the curls we were running.

As always people here aren't willing to give players time to develop. Quick is coming on his 3rd year, Bailey his second. This is BY FAR the youngest WR corps in the league. Only 13 rookies in the last 20 years have had 1000 yard recieving years, only 3 have had 10 TDs. Julio Jones managed neither. Neither did Torry Holt or Isaac Bruce. The last Rams WR to have a #1 caliber rookie season? The much vaunted Eddie Kennison. 54 receptions, 924 yards, 9 TDs.

The average tenure of a top 10 WR (by yardage)? 6.1 years in 2013.

These guys need time to mature and to get their timing down with Bradford.

Our TEs? Well, Cook had a somewhat disappointing year - and broke Rams TE receiving records. Best we've ever had OK with you?

There's definitely talent in our WR corps. Lack of turnover in our coaching and receiving corps, and a little better luck in the health department and we'll see a good showing.
    I agree on Bailey. He is a good player and I expect a lot out of him. And no, the problem is not me not giving enough time to develop, the problem is these guys are showing nothing and are struggling with simple things. I don't like WR's that can't catch. That is why I don't like Chris Givens. Quick wasn't even good enough to break the starting lineup after that horrible season by Givens, Austin injury, and Pettis barely playing. That should tell you something....

And so what if Cook had decent stats compared to other Rams TE's? That's like you running ten 40 yard dashes and being pleased as a WR running a 5.10 because that's what the 5 previous guys before you ran. That was a HORRIBLE point on your part. Cook is payed like a top 5 TE in the HISTORY of the NFL, yet he's not even producing top 10 of right now numbers....

THE DREAM TEAM

demiurge is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I agree on Bailey. He is a good player and I expect a lot out of him.
    Nice to agree on something.

And no, the problem is not me not giving enough time to develop, the problem is these guys are showing nothing and are struggling with simple things. I don't like WR's that can't catch. That is why I don't like Chris Givens. Quick wasn't even good enough to break the starting lineup after that horrible season by Givens, Austin injury, and Pettis barely playing. That should tell you something....
    Givens certainly had a very poor target/reception ratio. He still showed some flashes of deep speed, and while I'd agree his season was disappointing, I wouldn't call 569 yards 'horrible.' While he only had 34 catches, 13 of those were for 20+ yards. He can get open, he needs to catch better, and based on his first season, he is capable of that. He's one dimensional and needs to develop his game. That takes time, and in the meanwhile at least flashes deep threat capability.

And of course all of this has to be viewed through the lens of having Clemens for the last 9 games. Bradford passed for 50% more yards a game than Clemens, 227 to 153. All of the team's receiving stats go up if he's in the line up.

And again, you are talking about 2 players that were playing in their 2nd year - and lost their starting QB half way through it. If you expect big numbers from them in their 2nd year, yes, that's expecting immediate impact and not having much patience. RBs often have that type of impact, WRs don't.

And so what if Cook had decent stats compared to other Rams TE's? That's like you running ten 40 yard dashes and being pleased as a WR running a 5.10 because that's what the 5 previous guys before you ran. That was a HORRIBLE point on your part. Cook is payed like a top 5 TE in the HISTORY of the NFL, yet he's not even producing top 10 of right now numbers....
    LOL, every player in the NFL is paid more than they were 10, 20, 30 years ago. Guys used to have to take 2nd jobs to pay their mortgages - Concrete Charley Bednarik is in the HOF, and got his nickname not because of his play but because of his job as a concrete salesmen.

Cook is overpaid compared to his production, but his production was still the best we ever had at that position, and he led the team in receptions, yards, and TDs. Considering how bad the Rams passing offense was last year (29th in receptions, 29th in yards, T20th TDs), complaining about his passing numbers is pretty odd to me - he was clearly the best receiver on the team. His blocking, on the other hand, was pretty substandard. But Cook is a weapon that if you project his numbers out with their starting QB in play would be pretty good. You could expect around a 50% increase in yardage over the last 8.5 games based on the difference in game plans with Bradford vs Clemens, which would put him around 860. That would be good for 4th in the league at TE.

The big problem is the WRs are REALLY raw. If our OL situation turns out to be more settled than it appears right now (resigning Saffold and/or Wells/Dahl) then adding talent of course would do nothing but help.

But they'll get better anyway, with another year, good coaching, and their starting QB back in the mix.

emuen is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by demiurge View Post
    Cook is a weapon that if you project his numbers out with their starting QB in play would be pretty good. You could expect around a 50% increase in yardage over the last 8.5 games based on the difference in game plans with Bradford vs Clemens, which would put him around 860. That would be good for 4th in the league at TE.
    Cook had one good game with Bradford, and then his 2nd, 3rd and 4th best game with Clemens. How did you get up with those stats when Cook didn't show signs of being consistently better when Bradford was actually in the game?

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

WR is a huge concern, and has been since Torry left town.

If we stand pat at WR this year we'll be in a very poor position offensively. Yes, some receivers develop slowly, but a lot more never develop at all. We can't just keep saying "give 'em time" every year. These NFL GM's and coaches don't have the job security for that. Like Sosa said, sometimes our WR's struggle with the basic things.

The coaches do seem to realize the need to improve the offense, and I think we'll add someone, through free agency or the draft. Hopefully. The cornerbacks of the NFC west will be licking their chops if we take the field with Quick/Givens and Pettis lining up wide.
    ramsbruce likes this.

demiurge is offline Registered User

Fair point. I extrapolated based on the increased production overall with the passing game under Bradford, it might not be accurate to look at that in context of a single receivers performance. However, I tend to think there would have been better production, even if its difficult to ascribe in this specific instance, just due to the larger commitment to the passing game under Bradford. The O was scaled back under Clemens and the run game became more important.

Regardless, I don't think it fair to base Cook's performance in the passing game based on his ranking in the history of TE salaries, and I think overall as he was our #1 performer as a receiver he certainly isn't a relative weakness in that aspect of the game for our team.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

The fact that we will be a run first offense, and have a QB with a sickening penchant for checkdown passes, leads me to believe that we are pretty much set at WR. Well, that and the fact that Snead has already stated as much.

I believe a receiver like Sammy Watkins would be undervalued, underused and almost a waste of elite talent in this offense, much like Tavon was for a good part of last year.

Unless we plan to return to a more diverse and/or dynamic offense, I think the receivers we have will be fine, particularly with another camp together with the same OC.
    live4ramin likes this.

live4ramin is offline Registered User

Bradford can't throw to anyone in a productive way unless we build a wall around him. We can't have a running game unless we have fierce wedge busters. We cant have an offense that can win games unless we have a deep, stable and dominant line.
    RosieJones likes this.
    Kiss my ass, football gods

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12