throwback week

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    rams 24/7 is offline Registered User

Re: Here is the new Rams Front Office soon to be…

Ok this is my second post on this subject, were did you guys get this whole john fox is coming thing from, what rumors, aticles what?????????

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by GreatestShow99 View Post
    I have a hard time believing why anyone would think that Shaw and co. will make sound decisions when their history has shown that they do the opposite..I'll believe it when I see it. dark days are ahead as long as Georgia is around..
    Was it not Shaw that stepped into the great offseason that was Spring '99? I'm not a huge fan of our Front Office, but for that one moment in time at least, Shaw righted the ship.

Will he do it again? Maybe.
    Could he do it again? Yes, he has shown he's capable.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Rambos is offline Registered User

Hey don't forget that John Fox and the Panthers haven't won a home game since Nov 2006.
    Just about every coaching staff even the best of the best need a change of scenery. Look at Phil Jackson took Bulls to 6 championships and had to move on. Showtime with the Lakers Pat Riley, once said paraphrasing at some point you get tired of hearing your voice and so do the players. Even coaches need to reenergize themselves with a new challenge, players ect. This does not mean these coaches, Fox included have forgot how to build a winner. Their lose will be our gain.

helorm341 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SavageRam View Post
    I like it.

But, the major road block is Shaw's close ties with Jay Zygmunt (President Football Operations.) Zygmunt (w/Charley Armey's assistance) has been filling in the role of GM for a while now. If Zygmunt is forced to give up that role, will that render him much less important in the organization, eventually making him the odd man out? I find it hard to believe Shaw would do that given their long history together. I'm certainly not saying I'd disapprove of that though.
    In that same article where shaw talks about needing a GM he says Zygmunt isn't the GM at all and he only deals with the cap.

But as for the panthers idea I don't see why this is good. Here's a coach and GM that their own team doesn't like and we just want to snap them up? This totally reminds me of how some people talked about offseason free agents that were basically cast offs from their team and poeple wanted to snatch every single one of them up. Most have turned out to be sucking or have already been cut. I'm leary of anyone that get's fired (in one way or another) from their team

Rambos is offline Registered User

But as for the panthers idea I don't see why this is good. Here's a coach and GM that their own team doesn't like and we just want to snap them up? This totally reminds me of how some people talked about offseason free agents that were basically cast offs from their team and poeple wanted to snatch every single one of them up. Most have turned out to be sucking or have already been cut. I'm leary of anyone that get's fired (in one way or another) from their team
    Read the post above yours and coaches moving on.Schottenheimer was fired after going 14-2, maybe it's not always the one who was fired fault.

Here is why this makes sense. One we need a real GM and have had this problem for years. Two the relationship between these two has been going on for years, they work well together. Three Softli has worked with both of these guys with the Panthers. Seems like a logical option when trying to build a FO. Softli has also done a good job since he has been with the Rams IMO.
    Last edited by Rambos; -11-28-2007 at 08:41 PM.

Milan Guest

After a 1-15 season, there's not really anywhere else to go but up.

I'm just not a fan of bringing a whole organization from the exact same place.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Just about every coaching staff even the best of the best need a change of scenery. Look at Phil Jackson took Bulls to 6 championships and had to move on. Showtime with the Lakers Pat Riley, once said paraphrasing at some point you get tired of hearing your voice and so do the players. Even coaches need to reenergize themselves with a new challenge, players ect. This does not mean these coaches, Fox included have forgot how to build a winner. Their lose will be our gain.
    Using basketball as an example doesn't do much when we are talking about football. Too many differences.

Since Fox and the Panthers have never been the best of the best, and now haven't won a home game since Nov 2006 they don't excite me as much as some of you.

People want to complain about Linehan bringing in Frerotte, well what about the great Panthers staff bringing in David Carr. Ouch. Oh and a 40 something year old Vinnie T. Wow.

So before people get all excited about the Panthers coach/staff, it might be a good idea to look at what's going on with them now. No home wins in over a calender year, David Carr, Vinnie T, no WRs besides Smith, and average to below average running game.

So IF it does happen I hope it works, and a change of scenery might be just what the Rams and Fox ordered, but right now I think some are putting Fox and company on a higher pedastal than they deserve imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Kudos to Jared Cook for saying what needed to be said about being outplayed and outcoached vs the Cards.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce View Post
    Using basketball as an example doesn't do much when we are talking about football. Too many differences.

Since Fox and the Panthers have never been the best of the best, and now haven't won a home game since Nov 2006 they don't excite me as much as some of you.

People want to complain about Linehan bringing in Frerotte, well what about the great Panthers staff bringing in David Carr. Ouch. Oh and a 40 something year old Vinnie T. Wow.
    I just hope we aren't going to see some users saying they want Fox and claiming he's had bad luck and its ok he is a good coach, but don't want Linehan around...They're almost in the same situations, not exactly but similar. I am not excited about this (if it does happen) at all. Obviously I understand Fox is proven as a better head coach because of the track record, but honestly this just isn't cutting it for me. Like I said, I just don't want to hear people saying he's had misfortune this year and that is why he isn't doing well with the Panthers and meanwhile they're so quick to get rid of Linehan. I don't really want Linehan around, but I am not one to mention the above statement either. Don't get too excited folks, I know there isn't much to get cheerful about this year with the Rams but this certainly isn't one of the rare occassions to "smile" or be "happy".

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Well, we need to see some changes here and I for one would like a GM who can pull the strings on draft day and in free agency.

I'm not sure that Importing the whole Panthers FO is necessarily the best way to go about it however. As for John Fox, I'm just not convinced that he would be any upgrade over Scott Linehan. I feel sure that someone will feel the need to launch into stat mode and hit me over the head with the amount of winning teams he's beaten but if Linehan departs I think there will be better options out there for us. Cowher and Schottenheimer are just two of those, and to be honest I think their price will include a dramatic FO re-organisation, so we'll get that by default.

There's a few of us who believe that Shaw was the recipient of a large dose of good fortune in '99. I've never felt that Shaw has demonstrated that he has what it takes to lead this franchise in a way that would guarantee long-term achievment. Yes its hard, but I feel that our current FO have entrenched at the cost of team progress once too often.

Ownership has been a hobby-horse for our fan base for some time now and I think we have to resign ourselves to no change on that score.

So the best we can hope for is either that Linehan returns with a GM, a revamped staff and some nice additons to the playing staff or that we hire a high-profile coach who demands an element of control over the day to day management of the club. What we can't have is another name on the hotseat backed by the same inadequate front office and indifferent ownership.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12