throwback week

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    NY RAMFAN is offline Registered User

Re: Here is your opportunity

I'm sorry once again Nick, and I don't want to make a big fuzz of it, but Linehan may call the plays, but Marc is the one that throws the ball, you can fail to see a blitz, but they have been blitzing all day long and both Marc and Linehan didn't come up with a solution to it.
    Marc has to adjust to a new offense, well, the OL has to adjust to it as well, while converting backups in starting players.
    it is also, and somebody help me in here, the first time that we loose a game having a 100+yard rb since 1999?

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

I'm at grave risk of sounding like a broken record here but we really do have to accept that this season is one of transition and as such MAY take time to shape out the way we'd all like it too. The whiners game was the second game of the season, and whilst it stings more than most do, I have to place it some kind of perspective.

It's perfectly legitimate to ask questions in view of such a loss, but it's a touch OTT to claim as some have done that our recivers are shot, Frerotte should be our QB, Jackson skips too much or that Linehan is too conservative. Our O-line issues are well documented and were compounded by the Big O's injury. Bulger's struggles and Jackson's skipping may well relate to that as well as the struggle that comes with the transition to a new system.

Lets all avoid definitive comments for now and see how the next 3-5 weeks shape up.

With you on this one Wraith........................
    Last edited by Fat Pang; -09-18-2006 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Spelling errors due to unfeasibly large fingers

supachump is offline Registered User

first it was only the preseason. now its only the second game. When does it stop? We need to win these "winable" games. Every game counts and I'm sick of the excuses (new offense, new coaches, etc).

Personally I think this game was jinxed with everyone sounding off on how the rams could easily go 5-0 with their schedule. How everyone saw us blowing out the Forty9ers. How terrible the forty9ers are this year. blah blah blah. I have a feeling the coaches and players were just like some of you fans. Looking past this game and on to that 5-0 record. shame

Take every game seriously like its the hardest team in the world to beat. Attitude is everything with football and having the wrong one is going to blow everything.

supachump is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NY RAMFAN View Post
    and somebody help me in here, the first time that we loose a game having a 100+yard rb since 1999?
    Yes, and thank God. I'm sick of people repeating that over and over as if it were a sure-fire way to win a game. :\

RamOfDenmark Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Defense View Post
    We should have been able to easily walk away from that game 2-0. Instead we walk away 1-1. These easy wins that turn into losses begin to stack up quite quickly.
    I hear that! I'll be thinking about this loss when we're playing a tough team down the road, fighting our asses off for that one last win that will give us a playoff spot. Maybe we make it, maybe we don't, against the best teams you never know - that's why you absolutely positively need to take the easy wins! Wasted opportunities, a handful or two of plays that turn either one way or the other, that's the difference between an awful 6-10 season, or a good 10-6 season. You HAVE to seize the opportunity and we didn't, we had lots of chances to win this game, and we blew them all. Losing against a team as good as yours, or a better one - that's one thing. But losing to a bottom-dweller like the Whiners, that's something entirely different. Damn it's depressing.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

I'm reading all the things I expected to read once I had seen that the Rams lost Sunday. Unfortunately, I was in transit across the desert so I was forced to follow the game via the internet on my cell phone.

Am I pissed that they lost to the Whiners? Hell yes. You have to beat the teams that are inferior to yours, especially when it's the Whiners. Like BigRedMan said, being a Californian makes a loss to the hated ones really tough to swallow. It's a NOCAL/SOCAL thing.... We should have beaten them, but we didn't. BUT, I also honestly didn't expect the Rams to beat the Broncos last week, and we did. SO... after two games, we're 1-1, right where I thought they'd be before the season started.

I'm reading that we "need to win these games if we expect our team to get 10 or 11 wins." Come on people, this team is not an 11-game winner. Stop being myopic and realize that this IS a team in transition, and a 7-9 or 8-8 season is more realistic. We knew before the season started that we had a "suspect" O-line. We knew that we were also very thin there as well. We also knew that our D-backs were average, at best. We knew that the offense would go through some growing pains, and the GSOT was gone for good. WE KNEW THAT. Well, guess what folks, what we knew could happen, is happening. Our already suspect O-line is even thinner, our DB's have been exposed for what they are, and our offense is struggling in the transition from one coach to another.

It will take time my friends. More time than one full season of games, I'm afraid. Being 1-1 with this team isn't terribly disappointing. Not in my book. Losing a Superbowl when you're a 14-point favorite, now THAT is disappointing. By the time we reach our bye week, I fully expect us to be 3-3. Then we have a stretch of games that will be absolutely brutal. Given that we'll be expected to lose the Seattle game before the bye, and the Chargers, Chiefs, Seahawks and Panthers to follow, we potentially will be looking at a 5-game losing streak. That will put us at 3-7. We must then beat the Cards and Whiners at home and the hapless Raiders in the black hole. Gawd I hope we can beat them, they are pathetic. What's that? 6-7? I very much doubt we'll be favored to win either the Vikings, Skins or Bears games, so another 6-10 season is very, very possible. But don't panic yet. Give Linehan and his group a chance to build their team. It took Martz, what, 5 seasons to screw this thing up? Give Linehan more than a couple of weeks to fix it.
    Last edited by RAMFANRAIDERHATER; -09-18-2006 at 03:15 PM.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by supachump View Post
    first it was only the preseason. now its only the second game. When does it stop? We need to win these "winable" games. Every game counts and I'm sick of the excuses (new offense, new coaches, etc).
    Of course every game counts, but the new coaches and new offense aren't excuses, they are reality right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Kudos to Jared Cook for saying what needed to be said about being outplayed and outcoached vs the Cards.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

You can slow down, remember this is only the second game of the season. Remember the learning curve of this entire team. And keeping in mind a VERY important piece of the day, we had a patch work interior line going in and we ended up losing our biggest asset early on (big O). We have issues. No doubt. But we can't be getting bent already. In the words of a great man...."shot, we can fix that".
    Wraith,
    All is not lost, and the season is far from over, but you have to admit that it was a very disappointing performance yesterday against a very poor team.
    Yes we had injuries, but so did the *****. I don't think the coaching staff did a very good job getting the team ready for this game.

I just hope they are ready for the Cards because it will not be a cake walk.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Am I pissed that they lost to the Whiners? Hell yes. You have to beat the teams that are inferior to yours, especially when it's the Whiners. Like BigRedMan said, being a Californian makes a loss to the hated ones really tough to swallow. It's a NOCAL/SOCAL thing
    I feel your pain, it is not a very friendly environment here at work today.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I look at our team vs the Whiners team and truly believe we have more talent over all. Players make plays or not. Coaches call plays to allow players to make plays. Linehan and his staff were out coached. Don't you think the strategy/scheme whatever you want to call it should be adjusted when the O-Line is not performing or your QB is struggling. How about max protection ?Linehan ever hear of that ? The Whiners used it alot to slow down our blitz D.
    How about Haslett adjusting to the max protection the Whiners were using.
    It's all about communication to the captains/play callers of their respective groups.

Coaching ? What happened to open the 2nd half ? We come out with a 10-3 lead and have no desire ? Team went flat ! Who are the motivators of this team, my GOD we were playing the Whiners !

It's not time to panic but hell when I hear or see our team not focusing on the task at hand I get pissed. We had this game, totally dominated the 2nd quarter and came out gassed, confused, or whatever ?

I blame the coaching staff. It's up to them to know the strengths and weaknesses of not only our team but the opposition as well.

This one is on LINEHAN !

sprtsmac Guest

There are a lot of questions to what happened on Sunday and we are all trying to find answers. However, there is one thing that I do know and that is we lost to the Niners; and this bothers me more than anything else that happened during the game. Its not just because I think we are a superior team to the Niners but its because we lost to the Niners. That makes 3 in a row and makes me sick. If I'm lucky, nobody will rag on me during this week at work (in the bay area) and by the end I'll be happy that we are 1-1. But right now I am a little ticked that we have a 3 game losing streak against the Niners.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by NY RAMFAN View Post
    I'm sorry once again Nick, and I don't want to make a big fuzz of it, but Linehan may call the plays, but Marc is the one that throws the ball, you can fail to see a blitz, but they have been blitzing all day long and both Marc and Linehan didn't come up with a solution to it.
    Marc has to adjust to a new offense, well, the OL has to adjust to it as well, while converting backups in starting players.
    it is also, and somebody help me in here, the first time that we loose a game having a 100+yard rb since 1999?
    That's fine, we can agree to disagree on the topic. I just don't think, given the number of seven step drops and overall adjustment to the offense, you can really expect Bulger to make these kind of adjustments yet. I mean, this is the first time the guy's able to actually make adjustments at the line, and he did a good job on a key fourth down conversion by pulling the trigger on that quick hit to Torry on the left side (at least the radio guys seemed to give him credit for that read). I think it'll come with time, but right now there are going to be bumps, and I think it's up to Linehan to try and smooth those out with better playcalling.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    That's fine, we can agree to disagree on the topic. I just don't think, given the number of seven step drops and overall adjustment to the offense, you can really expect Bulger to make these kind of adjustments yet. I mean, this is the first time the guy's able to actually make adjustments at the line, and he did a good job on a key fourth down conversion by pulling the trigger on that quick hit to Torry on the left side (at least the radio guys seemed to give him credit for that read). I think it'll come with time, but right now there are going to be bumps, and I think it's up to Linehan to try and smooth those out with better playcalling.
    Yup. I think of it this way. For a guy who has been in one type of offense, and totally has to switch to the other, I say #1, he's not doing too bad, and he'd be quicker on this "recovery" so to speak if our line wasn't so awful. #2. It's week 2, he's got time, and hey, he's not injured! He's our QB, its as simple as that, we all know what he can do on the field, I say once again, we should give him more of a chance. I also think Linehan is fine. He knows his potential, and he knows this offense can adjust to his way of playing offense. Just gotta give them more time, and honestly I wouldn't be THAT surprised if we have to way a whole year before the whole offense becomes great again, because we all know eventually they will be again. There's no way you can't succeed with an offense like that, and a o-coordinator (Linehan)of that calibur, his stats prove it, and I honestly think out of all the offenses he's worked with, this is BY FAR the most talented. Leave it at that please! Let's all come to our senses, I understand we'll get pissed if we lose, especially against the whiners, but eventually we gotta cool down and realize, this is just our situation, and let's try to look at all the positives instead of try to figure out who to blame.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman View Post
    WE LOST TO THE FREAKIN WHINERS! DO YOU HEAR ME? WE LOST TO THE FREAKIN WHINERS! AGAIN!!!!!! Our first division game, and we lose to these jerks. I don't know, maybe you guys from outside California can't understand the PAIN this brings to us long time Ram fans where this was the ultimate rivalry. (I'm not saying you are not as passionate of fans as us here in California, just that your perspective is different).
    Agree completely. This was a devastating loss because it WAS these idiots, not to mention the fact that we have a better team. For cryin' out loud, we made Alex Smith look like a star, ALEX SMITH! They had TWO starting offensive lineman out and we can't get a sack or wreak havoc with their passing game? Last week their secondary got punked by the Cardinals and this week we struggle against the same unit? This should not of happened.

As a spectator at the game, I was humiliated. To hear the snickers, the taunts and the in-your-face attitude was almost too much to bear. It was all I could do to keep my composure. The worst part was after that performance and the now three game streak, there was nothing I could say in my defense.
    One whiner fan put it in perspective when on my out of Monster, he looked at my Isaac Bruce jersey and said, "bad day to be wearing that", and he was right.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

r8rh8rmike,

IMO it's never a bad day to wear a RAMS jersey. I say to the nay sayers:

BRING IT ON !

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast