Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 51
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Here's how smart people view the Rams' offseason

  1. #1
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,486
    Rep Power
    167

    Here's how smart people view the Rams' offseason

    In searching for breaking news on the Rams' free agent moves on Twitter, I've had to sift through endless Tweets from mentally challenged people crying that (a) the Rams are not doing enough to improve their team, and/or (b) that the Seahawks and Niners are leaving the Rams behind.

    These people are morons.

    A smart person realizes two things:

    1. The Rams' Offseason Did Not Begin This Week.
    Arguably, the first move of the 2013 offseason was made a year ago, when the Rams traded the #2 pick in the draft and obtained an extra first round selection for this year's draft. But, even more notably, the Rams made their biggest moves last Fall, when they re-signed James Laurinaitis and Chris Long. Imagine if, instead, the Rams had allowed both of these guys get to the free agent market. Long would have been the #1 DE/pass rusher on the market. Laurinaitis would have been the #1 4-3 MLB on the market. By locking these guys up early, the Rams got off to a great start to this offseason. Since then, they have re-signed William Hayes, signed Jared Cook, and seem to be on the cusp of signing Jake Long. Put is all together, and its been a great offseason so far.

    2. The Rams are not competing with the Niners/Hawks in the FA market.
    While the Rams will have a "puncher's chance" of passing the Niners and Hawks next year, the reality is that those two teams are already contenders, while the Rams are the youngest team in football. As a result, while the Niners and Seahawks can make short term moves in the hope that doing so will push them over the top, it would be foolish for the Rams to make any move that is not expected to continue to reap benefits in 2014, 2015 and beyond. That's why players like Steven Jackson, Danny Amendola, Anquan Boldin, Ed Reed, and (arguably) Greg Jennings don't make sense for the Rams. Its also the reason why moves - such as trading for Percy Harvin - that cost draft choices and premium FA money, don't make sense for the Rams right now. The good news is, in the next 2-3 years, the Niners and Hawks will have to pay their QBs big money deals. When that happens, what will be the result? Well, look at the Ravens. Sure, they retained Joe Flacco, but they've lost Ed Reed, Bernard Pollard, Anquan Boldin, Dannell Ellerbe and Paul Kruger. The same thing is going to happen to the Niners and Seahawks - right about the time the the Rams are ready to peak.

    Of course, the points I've made in above don't fit into the character limit of a Tweet, so I guess its easier just to say "Rams not doing enough. Niners and Seahawks killing it. #badoffseason."


  2. #2
    GROUND DOG 39's Avatar
    GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    MANCHESTER, U.K.
    Posts
    1,483
    Rep Power
    18

    Re: Here's how smart people view the Rams' offseason

    Id like to know which players the Rams SHOULD be targeting, if the Rams are not doing enough in the free agency period.

  3. #3
    mde8352gorams's Avatar
    mde8352gorams is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Age
    61
    Posts
    1,675
    Rep Power
    19

    Re: Here's how smart people view the Rams' offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by GROUND DOG 39 View Post
    Id like to know which players the Rams SHOULD be targeting, if the Rams are not doing enough in the free agency period.
    Assuming that we come to a reasonable deal with Jake Long. I would like to investigate Kenny Phillips at safety. I prefer him to L. Delmas; as a former NY'er I have a very healthy respect for the Giants drafting skills over Detroit's. Plus he has the Tim Walton connection from UMiami. Having said this, Phillips has to pass the medical evaluations as did Long presumably.

    Go Rams!

  4. #4
    Rambos's Avatar
    Rambos is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cali
    Age
    50
    Posts
    8,952
    Rep Power
    74

    Re: Here's how smart people view the Rams' offseason

    Nice post Av

    To say we did not do enough is lame at this point. I consider Laurinaitis and Chris Long as part of this free agency period. If we did not sign them earlier we would have a ton of cap space to work with today but we would be sweating bullets until those guys re-signed. We did a lot early, some people for get that.

    The FA period is longer then 48 hrs, think back to last year when we signed Dunbar, that was not until April 2, 2012. There are still a lot of very good players out there to be had and will be had over the next month.

    Who did we draft with our two first round pick? Oh that's right the draft hasn't happen yet. I do know who the hags took as they used their pick already.

  5. #5
    GROUND DOG 39's Avatar
    GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    MANCHESTER, U.K.
    Posts
    1,483
    Rep Power
    18

    Re: Here's how smart people view the Rams' offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    Assuming that we come to a reasonable deal with Jake Long. I would like to investigate Kenny Phillips at safety. I prefer him to L. Delmas; as a former NY'er I have a very healthy respect for the Giants drafting skills over Detroit's. Plus he has the Tim Walton connection from UMiami. Having said this, Phillips has to pass the medical evaluations as did Long presumably.

    Go Rams!
    Louis Delmas is a good player when healthy. It could just be his style of play, but Delmas has caught my eye more than Kenny Phillips over the years. Either way, I dont think the Rams can go wrong upgrading the safety spots.

  6. #6
    VegasRam's Avatar
    VegasRam is offline Ram MVP
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Age
    66
    Posts
    1,397
    Rep Power
    52

    Re: Here's how smart people view the Rams' offseason

    You had me at "morons".
    Plus, any more, "name" signings scare me, (including Long, but in Fisher I trust), and Rambos' allusion to Dunbar confirms it.
    Actually, the only FA whiff I can think of is Smith, (somewhat born out of desperation), - and they knew it was a gamble going in, imo.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

  7. #7
    VegasRam's Avatar
    VegasRam is offline Ram MVP
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Age
    66
    Posts
    1,397
    Rep Power
    52

    Re: Here's how smart people view the Rams' offseason

    And...I like the amount of time (being) spent on evaluating Long.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

  8. #8
    NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    new jersey
    Posts
    2,193
    Rep Power
    69

    Re: Here's how smart people view the Rams' offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by VegasRam View Post
    You had me at "morons".
    Plus, any more, "name" signings scare me, (including Long, but in Fisher I trust), and Rambos' allusion to Dunbar confirms it.
    Actually, the only FA whiff I can think of is Smith, (somewhat born out of desperation), - and they knew it was a gamble going in, imo.
    I welcome the Jake Long signing and think it would really shore up the offensive line with a bonafide talent. Yes, he's had a few nicks, but he's a 4-time pro bowler and has plenty of football left (Fisher's words, not mine). I think the Rams' approach has been solid thus far and AV makes sound observations.

    I'm still curious, though as to how the receiver/running back situation plays out. Guess we might have to wait 'till the end of April.

  9. #9
    macrammer's Avatar
    macrammer is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Northern Cal
    Age
    55
    Posts
    1,948
    Rep Power
    27

    Re: Here's how smart people view the Rams' offseason

    Great points Av.......but i tend to look at the big picture anyhow

  10. #10
    jjigga3000's Avatar
    jjigga3000 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Cali
    Posts
    1,393
    Rep Power
    16

    Re: Here's how smart people view the Rams' offseason

    Letting Amendola go for Cook was a good move in my opinion. all we really need is a Nickel back, Running Back, Safety and a Veteran Receiver. Howard-Bey could be that. We'll see.

  11. #11
    TorontoRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Saint Louis
    Posts
    220
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: Here's how smart people view the Rams' offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    In searching for breaking news on the Rams' free agent moves on Twitter, I've had to sift through endless Tweets from mentally challenged people crying that (a) the Rams are not doing enough to improve their team, and/or (b) that the Seahawks and Niners are leaving the Rams behind.
    These people are morons.
    A smart person realizes two things:
    1. The Rams' Offseason Did Not Begin This Week.
    Arguably, the first move of the 2013 offseason was made a year ago, when the Rams traded the #2 pick in the draft and obtained an extra first round selection for this year's draft. But, even more notably, the Rams made their biggest moves last Fall, when they re-signed James Laurinaitis and Chris Long. Imagine if, instead, the Rams had allowed both of these guys get to the free agent market. Long would have been the #1 DE/pass rusher on the market. Laurinaitis would have been the #1 4-3 MLB on the market. By locking these guys up early, the Rams got off to a great start to this offseason. Since then, they have re-signed William Hayes, signed Jared Cook, and seem to be on the cusp of signing Jake Long. Put is all together, and its been a great offseason so far.
    2. The Rams are not competing with the Niners/Hawks in the FA market.
    While the Rams will have a "puncher's chance" of passing the Niners and Hawks next year, the reality is that those two teams are already contenders, while the Rams are the youngest team in football. As a result, while the Niners and Seahawks can make short term moves in the hope that doing so will push them over the top, it would be foolish for the Rams to make any move that is not expected to continue to reap benefits in 2014, 2015 and beyond. That's why players like Steven Jackson, Danny Amendola, Anquan Boldin, Ed Reed, and (arguably) Greg Jennings don't make sense for the Rams. Its also the reason why moves - such as trading for Percy Harvin - that cost draft choices and premium FA money, don't make sense for the Rams right now. The good news is, in the next 2-3 years, the Niners and Hawks will have to pay their QBs big money deals. When that happens, what will be the result? Well, look at the Ravens. Sure, they retained Joe Flacco, but they've lost Ed Reed, Bernard Pollard, Anquan Boldin, Dannell Ellerbe and Paul Kruger. The same thing is going to happen to the Niners and Seahawks - right about the time the the Rams are ready to peak.
    Of course, the points I've made in above don't fit into the character limit of a Tweet, so I guess its easier just to say "Rams not doing enough. Niners and Seahawks killing it. #badoffseason."
    First, congratulations on your healthy sense of ego. 'Smart people....people who don't are morons.' It's a bit intimidating to disagree with someone who has such healthy self-esteem, but here goes:
    Second, the Rams let DA and SJax walk (and didn't even take a shot at Boldin, Reed, Jennings or Harvin), which some 'morons' think may not be the best idea on the planet, for a WR starved offense and a defense that could use at least a little help.
    The Rams signed a non-blocking TE (Jared Cook) to protect a QB who's often on the verge of getting his block knoced off, and will probably have to play said TE at slot receiver
    Finally the Rams watched two of the better (some would argue the best) teams in the NFL (oddsmakers co-favorites for SB albeit both of them can't make the big dance) get stronger and both of them have some pretty impressive drafts-spots.

    In any event, I'm betting (10-1 odds in Vegas) that my reply will be either ignored or scoffed at, but heh what's a fan forum for other than a place for morons like me to express our opinions.


  12. #12
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,486
    Rep Power
    167

    Re: Here's how smart people view the Rams' offseason

    As the saying goes, you are entitled to your own opinions, but not to your own facts.

    Let's look at your factual errors:

    Quote Originally Posted by TorontoRam View Post
    the Rams let DA and SJax walk (and didn't even take a shot at Boldin, Reed, Jennings or Harvin), which some 'morons' think may not be the best idea on the planet, for a WR starved offense and a defense that could use at least a little help.
    You have, of course, ignored my point, which is that most of the players have a limited window due to their age. But, from a factual standpoint, you don't know whether the Rams "took a shot" at Boldin or Harvin, or whether they intend to make an offer to Reed or Jennings, who remain unsigned.

    The Rams signed a non-blocking TE (Jared Cook) to protect a QB
    Wrong. The Rams signed a TE who runs like a WR to play the slot receiver position. Kendricks remains our primary blocking TE.

    Finally the Rams watched two of the better (some would argue the best) teams in the NFL (oddsmakers co-favorites for SB albeit both of them can't make the big dance) get stronger and both of them have some pretty impressive drafts-spots.
    Error #1: the suggestion that the Rams can control or prevent moves by other teams.
    Error #2: time will tell if they got stronger, the Niners have lost two starters on defense and an important role player in Delani Walker, so its not as though they have only added players.
    Error #3: The Seahawks don't have "impressive draft spots," given that they traded their first pick for Harvin.

    In the end, you have simply missed, or chosen to ignore, the points I made. If you want to cry that the Rams are not out in the FA market loading up on name players for a run in 2013, go right ahead. But, in doing so, you are clearly revealing that you don't understand the Rams plan.

    In any event, I'm betting (10-1 odds in Vegas) that my reply will be either ignored or scoffed at, but heh what's a fan forum for other than a place for morons like me to express our opinions.
    I think your track record speaks for itself.

  13. #13
    FestusRam's Avatar
    FestusRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Festus, Missouri
    Posts
    1,169
    Rep Power
    20

    Re: Here's how smart people view the Rams' offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by TorontoRam View Post
    First, congratulations on your healthy sense of ego. 'Smart people....people who don't are morons.' It's a bit intimidating to disagree with someone who has such healthy self-esteem, but here goes:
    Second, the Rams let DA and SJax walk (and didn't even take a shot at Boldin, Reed, Jennings or Harvin), which some 'morons' think may not be the best idea on the planet, for a WR starved offense and a defense that could use at least a little help.
    The Rams signed a non-blocking TE (Jared Cook) to protect a QB who's often on the verge of getting his block knoced off, and will probably have to play said TE at slot receiver
    Finally the Rams watched two of the better (some would argue the best) teams in the NFL (oddsmakers co-favorites for SB albeit both of them can't make the big dance) get stronger and both of them have some pretty impressive drafts-spots.

    In any event, I'm betting (10-1 odds in Vegas) that my reply will be either ignored or scoffed at, but heh what's a fan forum for other than a place for morons like me to express our opinions.

    So, your going to complain about letting Amendola go, then your going to complain about the guy we signed to basically replace him(Cook) because hes not a great blocking TE(which we already have in Kendricks and Mulligan)?

    Are you as negative in everyday life as you are about every move the Rams make? If so, Im sorry for you.

  14. #14
    TorontoRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Saint Louis
    Posts
    220
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: Here's how smart people view the Rams' offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by FestusRam View Post
    So, your going to complain about letting Amendola go, then your going to complain about the guy we signed to basically replace him(Cook) because hes not a great blocking TE(which we already have in Kendricks and Mulligan)?

    Are you as negative in everyday life as you are about every move the Rams make? If so, Im sorry for you.
    I'm sorry I didn't realize that this was a cheerleading forum and and not a place for fans to express their opinions (not proposing them as facts are that would be foolish in some people's estimation). Because we all know that everyone is 'entitled to their own opinions but not to their own facts,' which is why I refrain from claiming to be right all of the time, which makes no sense on a fan forum in which everyone is free to and does/should express his/her opinion whether I or anyone else agrees with those opinions or not. IMHO the ***** and Seahawks are cleaning the Rams clock in terms of the FA market, not that both teams weren't 'pretty good' before, and both of them still have the draft to do even more damage. I guess I'd like to see the Rams win a divisional title sometime during the second dacade of the 21st century (8 years to go and counting). How about you?

  15. #15
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,486
    Rep Power
    167

    Re: Here's how smart people view the Rams' offseason

    The Rams have 3 draft picks (#s 16, 22 and 46) before the Seahawks make their first selection (#56).

    As for the Seahawks "cleaning the Rams clock," in FA, I don't see it. They traded for Harvin, who could be a great player, but they gave up a mint (3 draft choices, $11M/year) to get him. Their FA signings, Avril and Bennett, really just offset their losses (Clemons - injured, Jones - signed w/Detroit).

    Just because Sportscenter makes a big deal over something, doesn't mean its really a big deal (See 2011-12 Philadelphia Eagles "Dream Team")

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: -04-30-2011, 06:33 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: -02-12-2011, 11:27 AM
  3. Bernie Bytes: Rams not smart with Jackson
    By Nick in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: -01-04-2011, 09:29 PM
  4. Replies: 21
    Last Post: -03-10-2008, 05:35 PM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: -03-10-2008, 10:24 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •