Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Here's how smart people view the Rams' offseason

Rambos is online now Registered User

Re: Here's how smart people view the Rams' offseason

TorontoRam please read...

Second, the Rams let DA and SJax walk (and didn't even take a shot at Boldin, Reed, Jennings or Harvin), which some 'morons' think may not be the best idea on the planet, for a WR starved offense and a defense that could use at least a little help.
    Nick Wagoner
    Cook figures to be a prominent part of that emerging offense in St. Louis. With Lance Kendricks already in place as a “move” tight end capable of playing anywhere including inline as a blocker, Cook figures to do a lot of what Tennessee asked him to do and line up in the slot.
    You got it right when you said "which some 'morons' think may not be the best idea on the planet."

Fisher and Snead clearly thought signing Cook to fill the role of the slot is the best move. IF you don't like the move that's fine tell us why. Either you don't read what is being shared on this board, or you ignore the information being shared. Like the fact that Cook is going to be used in the slot.

The Rams did not want to give up a first-round pick, a seventh-round selection this year and a mid-round pick in 2014. Plus pay Harvin a huge contract. The FO went with Cook. You make it sound as if the Rams LET DA go and did not even try to do anything. That's just not true, they just went in a different direction.

You also act as if the FO has not tried to address help on the defense, again not true. On day two they brought in Louis Delmas a safety and made him an offer that is still on the table.

You make it sound like the Rams FO is out playing golf or on holiday. Not sure if you are aware but they have signed some key players already and have been working to sign Jake Long over the last two days. I know this must be news to you because there is no way you would make such foolish statements knowing they are working it so hard.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I really like that we are building a solid and "young" foundation for the long haul. Someday in the near future we will be one of those teams signing a free agent (band-aid) to fill a hole that puts us in contention for the Superbowl. This approach to building a young team will hopefully put is the top tier of NFL teams for years to come. Wouldn't that be exciting...like 1999-2002.

TorontoRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    The Rams have 3 draft picks (#s 16, 22 and 46) before the Seahawks make their first selection (#56).

As for the Seahawks "cleaning the Rams clock," in FA, I don't see it. They traded for Harvin, who could be a great player, but they gave up a mint (3 draft choices, $11M/year) to get him. Their FA signings, Avril and Bennett, really just offset their losses (Clemons - injured, Jones - signed w/Detroit).

Just because Sportscenter makes a big deal over something, doesn't mean its really a big deal (See 2011-12 Philadelphia Eagles "Dream Team")
    You may be correct about the Seahawks, they were pretty good already and we'll have to see how their FA signings pan out, but what's your take on the ***** success or lack thereof in the FA market not only compared to the Rams but to practically every one else?

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

The Niners made two good trades, getting draft picks for Alex Smith and Boldin for a 6th round pick.

On the FA market, they really have not done that much. They lost Dashon Goldson, Delanie Walker, Isaac Sopoaga and Ricky Jean Francois, and signed Glenn Dorsey.

I'd say they are having a fairly good offseason, and are likely to add additional veterans who can give them a year or two of production.

RealRam is online now Registered User

Thank goodness I DO NOT have Tweety! Perhaps never will.

Rams news, events? Suffice to come here to the Clan and/or other more official, professional sources. It is also smart to filter out the noise, especially during "breaking news" periods or situations.

Normally, I avoid Twitter like the plague.

I've only been hanging out there to try to catch breaking news on FA.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

TorontoRam is offline Registered User

The point about the Seahawks is well taken, although they're pretty good already and set at key positions. On the other hand, the *****, it seems to me, have loaded up big time and if they're after Reed and Namdi, and Craig Dahl visited them yesterday, they going to be formidable in 2013 as is Seattle IMHO. In the meantime, the Rams may have lost Jake Long (admittedly I haven't been that down with signing him anyway); lost DA; lost a very good block back in SJax and a team leader; and signed a servicable TE who can catch but isn't known for his blocking prowess. Having said that perhaps the Rams know something we don't know about the players in the Draft. I certainly hope that's the case.

chiguy is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TorontoRam View Post
    The point about the Seahawks is well taken, although they're pretty good already and set at key positions. On the other hand, the *****, it seems to me, have loaded up big time and if they're after Reed and Namdi, and Craig Dahl visited them yesterday, they going to be formidable in 2013 as is Seattle IMHO. In the meantime, the Rams may have lost Jake Long (admittedly I haven't been that down with signing him anyway); lost DA; lost a very good block back in SJax and a team leader; and signed a servicable TE who can catch but isn't known for his blocking prowess. Having said that perhaps the Rams know something we don't know about the players in the Draft. I certainly hope that's the case.
    Well, I'm kind of on your side and I'm kind of not. On the one hand, if the Rams think J. Long is healthy and they think they have the cap room to sign him...well, we need him more than he needs us. Its nice that we potentially validated his quality for the rest of the league, but need a real upgrade on the line and if its not Long, I'd like to see us at least active with some of the other linemen out there. Hunter (released) and Richardson aren't going to get it done. And seriously, its time to do something to upgrade the WR (and they still have time to do that).

But on the other hand....we have have to take things in context. The Rams roster was a disaster coming into last season, we still have some bad contract's (Sam's in particular) that are problematic, and, well...Rome wasn't built in a day. Its hard to be patient understand that the Rams aren't yet a SB/playoff caliber team, at least not on paper. Its especially hard after they did better than most of us expected last season. But seriously, this is a team not missing *a* piece and a free-wheel spending spree isn't going to get us up to the level as the Niners and Seahawks anyway. So we have little choice but to be patient.

In the meantime, there is a clear plan and it seems like a decent plan. We should be probably be judging them not against the Niners -- not at this point and because no matter what we do the answer is "they look better than we do -- but against their stated goals. That means being wise about FA spending, collecting draft picks, and improving through the draft. On that score:

--I loved Danny, but basically already replaced his production with a guy who is healthier, has more big play capability, and gives us more flexibility in the offense. OK, he's not a great blocker but if you compare him to the guy he's replacing (Danny), its not a clear downgrade. This looks like a A+ move to me.

--We no longer have SJax. That hurts. However, was he worth $7 when we need two starting safeties, an OLB, OT, OG, and WR? Given that RBs breakdown often after the 30-years-old mark, I think not. Yet its not clear that the current "RB by committee" plan will work. The grade here is incomplete until we see the draft, the end of FA, and production on the field next year.

--We lost Gibson. That's OK, we'll get similar production from Pettis/Quick because...well, he's at best average. And these guys are at worst average, based on what we've seen. Quick in particular could be much better. Either way, I don't see a clear downgrade here. And while it isn't an upgrade, there is at least a chance of improvement. I'd grade this choice a C+.

--Releasing Mickell is a lot like the SJax situation -- older player on a younger team making a lot of money. It looks like the staff is fine with Stewart over Dahl, which certainly isn't a big step back (I liked Stewart...but the staff didn't last year). If we can replace Mickell with a competent safety who doesn't cost so much, this ends up be a good move overall. There are plenty of decent safeties out there and the FO is at least trying (see: Delmas), so I don't see a significant downgrade at this position. At least not yet. And everyone in the NFL knows we're going to draft a safety somewhere in the first three rounds. Depending on how the draft works out and production on the field, this is a C with the potential for a much higher grade.

--What about the other holes on the roster? We'll have to see. We were never going to do that in FA, even if we tried. So the grade here depends on how well we draft. Sign a J. Long/Winston kind of anchor would help obviously, but right now its clearly an incomplete.

So...I have my own critisims and think there is often too much optimism (at least unwarranted optimism) on this forum, I also don't think the sky is falling. That's especially true once we all acknowledge that the Rams were't going to compete with the Niners and Seahawks simply by signing a couple of FAs anyway.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by TorontoRam View Post
    This may be the first time in history I've seen the name "Craig Dahl" and the word "formidable" used in the same sentence.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

"The Rams have 3 draft picks (#s 16, 22 and 46) before the Seahawks make their first selection (#56).

As for the Seahawks "cleaning the Rams clock," in FA, I don't see it. They traded for Harvin, who could be a great player, but they gave up a mint (3 draft choices, $11M/year) to get him. Their FA signings, Avril and Bennett, really just offset their losses (Clemons - injured, Jones - signed w/Detroit).

Just because Sportscenter makes a big deal over something, doesn't mean its really a big deal (See 2011-12 Philadelphia Eagles "Dream Team")" by AvengerRam

Best points made there, especailly that crack about "Sportscenter" (ESPN)--haha! Ever notice how ESPN talks a story to death to the point one wants to throw up or throw the remote at the TV?

Right now I am hoping for J. Long coming on board out of this FA market. After that I reognize there is a lot of rich talent still on the market. The problem is that it is a "rich" market, and what one buys NOW affects what one can't buy later. Yes the Rams could have gone deep with DA or SJax or even both to retain them but at what cost to the NOW and the FUTURE of the Rams?

The Rams got DA off waivers from Dallars, gave him a major role, and gave him marketablility--so in affect the Rams saved his career. SJax demanded a pay increase especially when the Rams where struggling and the Rams signed him a $44M contract. So as a fan I am a little disappointed in those two--but then again its a business. Personally, I think the two likely have blown an opportunity to be a part of something "special" in St Louis.

Despite the Seagulls and 49whinners kncocking on the door of destiny, it seems rather odd that those to "contenders" have difficulty dealing with the Rams despite the Rams being so young and deficit of talent (SIC)--ha! Problem for those two, the Rams will be a thorn in their side for at least the next 4 years and are themselves contenders for the NFC West crown.

As pointed out there still remains the draft and last I looked the Rams seem to be well possitioned there. Further as time goes by teams will place other players on waivers, like Dallas did with DA, and lastly if there is a Million or two still left into the kitty that doesn't rule out a 1 year contract for another pick up for the 2013 campaign

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    This may be the first time in history I've seen the name "Craig Dahl" and the word "formidable" used in the same sentence.
    The guy had no credibility before that post, that statement just really ended any chance at gaining credibility.

IF Craig Dahl signs with the *****, its an upgrade for the Rams and the rest of the NFCW, not SF.

Beastified is offline Registered User

I agree with you avengedram. Let's not forget that that is the "Twitter" world. I'm pretty sure they're not hardcore fans like us here and compared to us know pretty much nothing

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Another thing smart people realize is if we don't sign any other free agents, we'll be in line for several compensatory picks in next year's draft.

RealRam is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Beastified View Post
    I agree with you avengedram. Let's not forget that that is the "Twitter" world. I'm pretty sure they're not hardcore fans like us here and compared to us know pretty much nothing
    Not sure about that. More and more (i.e., majority?) professional sports players ARE on the Twitt, sending, receiving messages. One would expect them to be 'hardcore fans', yes? But, to me, there's just so much noise via social media that I prefer more serious news sources -- and they may be jiving me too. Well, sometimes. ^_^

Call me old school -- or just old -- but I doubt I'll ever get into facebook and/or Twitter (etc.) as I said in my previous post.

GIVE ME RELIABLE RAMS OFFSEASON INFO. If it originates on Twitter, I'll see it HERE.

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater
    Another thing smart people realize is if we don't sign any other free agents, we'll be in line for several compensatory picks in next year's draft.
    Good point.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast