Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 51
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Here's how smart people view the Rams' offseason

  1. #31
    peramoure is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    237
    Rep Power
    11

    Re: Here's how smart people view the Rams' offseason

    I've been reading this board for years, and more often than not I'd consider it a cheerleading forum. Not to point fingers, but Av generally has long winded retorts to Rams critics (Bradford critics, WR critics, coaching critics, front office critics, generally anyone that says anything bad about anyone affiliated with the Rams).

    I'm glad Toronto brought this up, really. I scoffed at Delmas getting big money (following everyone on the board's rah rahhing). I mean, freaking Aurellious Benn, a young and relatively talented WR was traded to the Eagles for a 7th round pick. Benn, by all accounts, is better than any WR we have on our roster.

    I'd like to think that Av and the rest of the Rams booster club will come down harshly if we don't land a veteran WR presence, because it just happens to be the one position we've needed desperately for ages. Writing long winded prose rationalizing a mammoth contract for a TE/WR who has never accomplished anything, or why Bradford has been terrible, or why our offensive line is to blame, or why we're rebuilding, or why blah blah blah - How many years can we read and write this nonsense?

    There's nothing wrong with being critical. If we're so blind to just cheer every time the Rams sign somebody then nothing ever changes. 35 million dollars for an unproven TE/WR who has never had a breakout year or proven anything other than being a great athlete!?!?! HELL YEAAAAA! Bah. I'm tired of it.


  2. #32
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,490
    Rep Power
    167

    Re: Here's how smart people view the Rams' offseason

    If you've been around for a while, you have not been paying attention. I was once supposedly a ”Warner basher.” I called for Martz's firing. I established SLOP. When its due, I have no problem criticizing.

    I will, however, always oppose those who do nothing but complain, lie, misstate or distort facts, or simply criticize with no supporting facts.

    Pay attention from now on. Maybe you'll learn something.

  3. #33
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    19,296
    Rep Power
    153

    Re: Here's how smart people view the Rams' offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by peramoure View Post
    I've been reading this board for years, and more often than not I'd consider it a cheerleading forum. Not to point fingers, but Av generally has long winded retorts to Rams critics (Bradford critics, WR critics, coaching critics, front office critics, generally anyone that says anything bad about anyone affiliated with the Rams).
    There's a difference between being an optimist and a cheerleader. If you don't think Av has been critical of things the Rams have done, you aren't reading enough.

    Gosh, does no one remember the SLOP days?


    Quote Originally Posted by peramoure View Post
    I'm glad Toronto brought this up, really. I scoffed at Delmas getting big money (following everyone on the board's rah rahhing). I mean, freaking Aurellious Benn, a young and relatively talented WR was traded to the Eagles for a 7th round pick. Benn, by all accounts, is better than any WR we have on our roster.

    I'd like to think that Av and the rest of the Rams booster club will come down harshly if we don't land a veteran WR presence, because it just happens to be the one position we've needed desperately for ages. Writing long winded prose rationalizing a mammoth contract for a TE/WR who has never accomplished anything, or why Bradford has been terrible, or why our offensive line is to blame, or why we're rebuilding, or why blah blah blah - How many years can we read and write this nonsense?
    Am I the only one who finds it strange that Cook has "never accomplished anything," and yet his career numbers are better than the "young and relatively talented WR" that the Rams should have pursued?


    Quote Originally Posted by peramoure View Post
    There's nothing wrong with being critical. If we're so blind to just cheer every time the Rams sign somebody then nothing ever changes. 35 million dollars for an unproven TE/WR who has never had a breakout year or proven anything other than being a great athlete!?!?! HELL YEAAAAA! Bah. I'm tired of it.
    My wife and I were in the living room last night. I was on the laptop and she was watching a movie. Her movie ended, so she asked to trade so she could use the laptop. We did, and I went over to the couch with my iPad.

    A really awful chick flick then came on. I looked over at her and she was focusing on the laptop. I looked back at the TV and then at the remote by my side. I then proceeded to sit there and watch the awful movie.

    I turned to my wife afterwards and said, "Man, that movie was awful." And her response was, "Don't complain, you had the remote."
    AvengerRam likes this.

  4. #34
    peramoure is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    237
    Rep Power
    11

    Re: Here's how smart people view the Rams' offseason

    There's a difference between paying 35 million dollars for an average player with a high ceiling and paying a 7th rounder and 1 million dollars. What I'm advocating is spending smartly, like, erhm, all the terrific teams? Packers, Ravens, *****, Patriots, Giants.. they let above average guys walk instead of paying absurd money, buy guys at appropriate prices instead of jumping at the first big name. Would you rather have Cook at 35 million or Delaine Walker at a third of that? Would you rather have Finnegan at a billion dollars or a guy like Antoine Winfield, DeAngelo Hall, Aqib Talib - they're signing 1 year deals for under 5 million!

    I'm advocating for a smart approach, not a Raider/Cowboy/Redskin way of thinking which is "throw money at big names". Should we pay 5 times for 100% of the player we want, or 1/5th of that for 80% of the player? Packers, Patriots, Ravens, ***** - they do it the latter. If you read Bill Barnwell you know what I'm talking about, but smart economic minded moves make more sense.

    Another example of this would be locking up James L for an absurd effing contract. What middle linebackers make that kind of money? You can buy 90% of James L for 1/5th of what he is paid! This is the kind of "building" I hate to see.

    Moreso, to advocate that Av is critical of the Rams by pointing out he once bashed Warner or wanted Mike Martz fired is crazy. Seriously, how many years ago are we talking.. How many signatures have revolved around the "THE TIME HAS COME!!!!" or whatever it is these days? How long does that fledgling ram in the picture have to be a pup before it grows up and stops blindly supporting everything the team does? I love optimism, don't get me wrong, but any time somebody is critical, Av is quick to run to the rescue to blame somebody/some odd timing/growth, blah blah.

    Av is well spoken and I quite enjoy his points, but I'm not going to defend this team year in and year out and I'm not going to act like a homer for every move. I DEFINITELY agree the Rams are in better hands under Snead/Fisher, but give me a break. Our starting wideouts are Chris Givens and Brian Quick, and while everybody gets better around us, we sit on our hands. With the track record of ALL rookie WRs (not just the Rams god awful record), why invest in the draft instead of getting somebody with a stable track record?

    Ayway, ramble ramble. I love you Av, don't take offense.

    d

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    There's a difference between being an optimist and a cheerleader. If you don't think Av has been critical of things the Rams have done, you aren't reading enough.

    Gosh, does no one remember the SLOP days?




    Am I the only one who finds it strange that Cook has "never accomplished anything," and yet his career numbers are better than the "young and relatively talented WR" that the Rams should have pursued?




    My wife and I were in the living room last night. I was on the laptop and she was watching a movie. Her movie ended, so she asked to trade so she could use the laptop. We did, and I went over to the couch with my iPad.

    A really awful chick flick then came on. I looked over at her and she was focusing on the laptop. I looked back at the TV and then at the remote by my side. I then proceeded to sit there and watch the awful movie.

    I turned to my wife afterwards and said, "Man, that movie was awful." And her response was, "Don't complain, you had the remote."

  5. #35
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,490
    Rep Power
    167

    Re: Here's how smart people view the Rams' offseason

    Don't make me the issue, then. This is an open forum. All opinions are welcome. Just be prepared to defend your ground when people disagree with you.

    I like the front office's approach, even if it lacks instant gratification. Time will tell.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -03-17-2013 at 11:13 AM.

  6. #36
    TorontoRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Saint Louis
    Posts
    220
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: Here's how smart people view the Rams' offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    There's a difference between being an optimist and a cheerleader. If you don't think Av has been critical of things the Rams have done, you aren't reading enough.
    Gosh, does no one remember the SLOP days?
    Am I the only one who finds it strange that Cook has "never accomplished anything," and yet his career numbers are better than the "young and relatively talented WR" that the Rams should have pursued?
    My wife and I were in the living room last night. I was on the laptop and she was watching a movie. Her movie ended, so she asked to trade so she could use the laptop. We did, and I went over to the couch with my iPad.
    A really awful chick flick then came on. I looked over at her and she was focusing on the laptop. I looked back at the TV and then at the remote by my side. I then proceeded to sit there and watch the awful movie.
    I turned to my wife afterwards and said, "Man, that movie was awful." And her response was, "Don't complain, you had the remote."
    I was so surprised by paramoure's reply that I decided to print and save it (maybe even frame it), because I can't recall when another poster on this forum had the 'audacity' to point out the cheer-leading that seems to be THE acceptable style of posting and the name-calling that seems to accompany a reply to a post that in any way criticizes the Rams or points out mistakes that they have made in the past and perhaps are making still (e.g. signing a good hands bad blocking TE for $$$$$; letting DA and SJax walk without replacing at least DA IMO; and not signing Boldin, Harvin, Jennings....). So, it seems appropriate to ask if the analogy that you used to close your post suggests that posters who don't buy into the cheer-leading, which is not the same as being optimistic (e.g. me or paramoure) should stop participating (love em or leave it)? If that's the case good luck because speaking for myself none of us who point out the Rams mistakes and will happily point out times when they make a blockbuster move or two or three or four (a la the *****) if and when that happens, are going to heed your suggestion. I found paramoure's post very respectful (e.g. didn't call anyone a 'moron') and well within the parameters of this forum's decorum and I try to do the same and will continue to do so.
    (p.s. Love these smileys)
    Last edited by TorontoRam; -03-17-2013 at 11:20 AM.
    UK Ramfan 83 likes this.

  7. #37
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    19,296
    Rep Power
    153

    Re: Here's how smart people view the Rams' offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by peramoure View Post
    What I'm advocating is spending smartly, like, erhm, all the terrific teams? Packers, Ravens, *****, Patriots, Giants..
    The Patriots just signed Danny Amendola to a near $30 million deal with $10 million guaranteed. The ***** just signed Craig Dahl to a three year contract with the intention of him competing to start. The Giants gave Michael Boley a sizable five year deal a few years ago to solve their issues at linebacker, and he was a giant swing and a miss for them. These are just the examples I can think of off the top of my head. You can hold these teams up as pillars of personnel excellence in the abstract, but they have their share of head scratching moves as well.

    Besides, one could easily argue the Rams have been making pretty smart financial decisions by (1) not overpaying for Amendola, (2) not meeting Jake Long's contract demands and instead offering a more reasonable deal, or (3) only offering a guy like Louis Delmas a one-year prove it contract. Do those count as smart spending decisions? They should.


    Quote Originally Posted by peramoure View Post
    Would you rather have Cook at 35 million or Delaine Walker at a third of that?
    Honestly? Cook. I wish he would have come cheaper, but I think he has the athletic ability to become a very good weapon at the position. If he can become that type of weapon that many believe he can, he'll be worth that deal. Let's see what Fisher can do with him.


    Quote Originally Posted by peramoure View Post
    Another example of this would be locking up James L for an absurd effing contract. What middle linebackers make that kind of money? You can buy 90% of James L for 1/5th of what he is paid! This is the kind of "building" I hate to see.
    The *****, whom you've praised twice in this thread for their smart approach to personnel, have two middle/inside linebackers signed to contracts that are longer and feature more guaranteed money than what the Rams gave Laurinaitis.


    Quote Originally Posted by peramoure View Post
    Moreso, to advocate that Av is critical of the Rams by pointing out he once bashed Warner or wanted Mike Martz fired is crazy. Seriously, how many years ago are we talking.. How many signatures have revolved around the "THE TIME HAS COME!!!!" or whatever it is these days? How long does that fledgling ram in the picture have to be a pup before it grows up and stops blindly supporting everything the team does? I love optimism, don't get me wrong, but any time somebody is critical, Av is quick to run to the rescue to blame somebody/some odd timing/growth, blah blah.
    I did a quick search before my previous response and, within minutes, found posts by Av in which he was critical of the 2012 Rams. It's really not that hard.


    Quote Originally Posted by peramoure View Post
    Av is well spoken and I quite enjoy his points, but I'm not going to defend this team year in and year out and I'm not going to act like a homer for every move. I DEFINITELY agree the Rams are in better hands under Snead/Fisher, but give me a break. Our starting wideouts are Chris Givens and Brian Quick, and while everybody gets better around us, we sit on our hands. With the track record of ALL rookie WRs (not just the Rams god awful record), why invest in the draft instead of getting somebody with a stable track record?
    I don't really understand how you can advocate for a smart spending approach to free agency, and then seem upset or disappointed that the Rams didn't go out and make a big splash at the receiver position, a splash that would have cost huge money and more closely resemble the Raider/Cowboy/Redskin you criticized.

    I was advocating for a veteran starting wide receiver as well, and am disappointed that the Rams weren't able to get a high caliber one. But I think the Rams made the smart move in not overpaying for Wallace or Harvin.

    I'd point out that you praised the Packers and Patriots for their smart spending practices, yet neither of them were willing to give a guy like Greg Jennings more than $8 million per year (Patriots wouldn't go above $6 million, reportedly), resulting in him signing for bigger money in Minnesota.


    Quote Originally Posted by TorontoRam View Post
    So, it seems appropriate to ask if the analogy that you used to close your post suggests that posters who don't buy into the cheer-leading, which is not the same as being optimistic (e.g. me or paramoure) should stop participating (love em or leave it)?
    I'm not suggesting Peramoure change his opinions. You don't have to think a certain way to post here. Anyone who takes a serious and honest look at past posts on this board, even among the mods, will find that to be the case.

    I'm simply asking why he continues to visit a forum in which he thinks the general quality/caliber of posts here are nonsense and is sick of them. I disagree with his feelings about the board, but if he believes that, why continue to spend time here?

    He's welcome to stay and contribute. I just don't understand why he would, since he seems so dissatisfied with the opinions here. No one is forcing him to come here, and yet he seems to blame others for the fact that he has to read the content here.

    That's his choice, just like it was my choice to continue watching a movie I thought was crappy when I could have changed the channel at any time.
    r8rh8rmike and GolfnRAMFAN like this.

  8. #38
    TorontoRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Saint Louis
    Posts
    220
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: Here's how smart people view the Rams' offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    The Patriots just signed Danny Amendola to a near $30 million deal with $10 million guaranteed. The ***** just signed Craig Dahl to a three year contract with the intention of him competing to start. The Giants gave Michael Boley a sizable five year deal a few years ago to solve their issues at linebacker, and he was a giant swing and a miss for them. These are just the examples I can think of off the top of my head. You can hold these teams up as pillars of personnel excellence in the abstract, but they have their share of head scratching moves as well.
    Besides, one could easily argue the Rams have been making pretty smart financial decisions by (1) not overpaying for Amendola, (2) not meeting Jake Long's contract demands and instead offering a more reasonable deal, or (3) only offering a guy like Louis Delmas a one-year prove it contract. Do those count as smart spending decisions? They should.
    Honestly? Cook. I wish he would have come cheaper, but I think he has the athletic ability to become a very good weapon at the position. If he can become that type of weapon that many believe he can, he'll be worth that deal. Let's see what Fisher can do with him.
    The *****, whom you've praised twice in this thread for their smart approach to personnel, have two middle/inside linebackers signed to contracts that are longer and feature more guaranteed money than what the Rams gave Laurinaitis.
    I did a quick search before my previous response and, within minutes, found posts by Av in which he was critical of the 2012 Rams. It's really not that hard.
    I don't really understand how you can advocate for a smart spending approach to free agency, and then seem upset or disappointed that the Rams didn't go out and make a big splash at the receiver position, a splash that would have cost huge money and more closely resemble the Raider/Cowboy/Redskin you criticized.
    I was advocating for a veteran starting wide receiver as well, and am disappointed that the Rams weren't able to get a high caliber one. But I think the Rams made the smart move in not overpaying for Wallace or Harvin.
    I'd point out that you praised the Packers and Patriots for their smart spending practices, yet neither of them were willing to give a guy like Greg Jennings more than $8 million per year (Patriots wouldn't go above $6 million, reportedly), resulting in him signing for bigger money in Minnesota.
    I'm not suggesting Peramoure change his opinions. You don't have to think a certain way to post here. Anyone who takes a serious and honest look at past posts on this board, even among the mods, will find that to be the case.
    I'm simply asking why he continues to visit a forum in which he thinks the general quality/caliber of posts here are nonsense and is sick of them. I disagree with his feelings about the board, but if he believes that, why continue to spend time here?
    He's welcome to stay and contribute. I just don't understand why he would, since he seems so dissatisfied with the opinions here. No one is forcing him to come here, and yet he seems to blame others for the fact that he has to read the content here.
    That's his choice, just like it was my choice to continue watching a movie I thought was crappy when I could have changed the channel at any time.
    I suspect the reason that paramoure and I continue to view this forum and post when appropriate is because we are both Rams fans; perhaps a bit weary of the team's 'strateegeries,' when it comes to FA and even the Draft (O-Linemen for example); and willing to call it as we see it. I don't disagree with posters opinions as such, nor do I believe that paramoure does either, but when a post begins with assuming that anyone who disagrees with it are 'morons,' perhaps it's time to call it as we see it. I do find it intriguing when a poster begins a thread and then complains that 'it's not about me' when someone replies. If I begin a thread and people disagree/agree with me I assume it's because I started the thread and expect them to agree or disagree, which is at the heart of discussion. All I assume is that the way they respond is respectful, as I thought paramoure's reply was in fact respectful, and I'll try to continue do the same. Looking forward to posting in the future; hoping that paramoure does the same; and we'll sometimes agree to agree to disagree agreeably with other posters. IMHO that's what makes fan forums successful. BTW, Mrs. Toronto Ram and I spent a fair amount of $$$$ to see the Rams play in London as well as on season tickets and reserved parking spaces since the team came to STL, so I do get somewhat 'frustrated' when I'm suspected of being a 'hater' or 'negative' about the Rams. My wife and I have invested in the team; enjoy watching them play; and watching the NFL in general so have a right, IMHO, to share my opinion about their performance on the field, in FA, and in the Draft. And, as I said earlier, I hope that paramoure continues to do the same.
    (I do love these smileys. A picture is worth a thousand words).
    Last edited by TorontoRam; -03-17-2013 at 05:58 PM.

  9. #39
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,490
    Rep Power
    167
    It never ceases to amuse me how certain people work so hard to prove they have the right to be negative... as if anyone is questioning that right.

  10. #40
    TorontoRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Saint Louis
    Posts
    220
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: Here's how smart people view the Rams' offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    It never ceases to amuse me how certain people work so hard to prove they have the right to be negative... as if anyone is questioning that right.
    Well, ya see AV, when you refer to someone/anyone who disagrees with you as a 'moron' I'm bemused by your amusement. So, if you don't like my posts or anyone else's then perhaps you would consider ceasing to be 'amused,' and deal with it, with all due respect! Anyone has the right to be 'negative', whatever that means, and there's nothing that you can do about it. So, deal with it! Have a nice day!

  11. #41
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    19,296
    Rep Power
    153

    Re: Here's how smart people view the Rams' offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by TorontoRam View Post
    I suspect the reason that paramoure and I continue to view this forum and post when appropriate is because we are both Rams fans
    Yeah, that doesn't answer the question at all.

    Let me put it another way. I'm a big sushi fan. I love it. I love the fish, the sauces, the experience. Everything. There are a number of really great local establishments where I could get some outstanding sushi. But the place I choose to go is my local gas station. Sure, the fish isn't fresh, the prices are high, and the service is awful. But I continue to go there because I like sushi.

    That makes about as much sense as continuing to go to a message board that you feel is primarily a cheerleading board with a lot of nonsense that you're tired of because you're a Rams fan.

    I have no problem with a variety of opinions on the Rams or football in general, be it positive or negative, optimistic or pessimistic. In fact, I love a variety of opinions because I like to debate and differing opinions allows for debate. What I do have a problem with though, as a moderator of this forum, is someone who criticizes and trashes the actual board they're choosing to come to.

    If the nature of the board, its members, or its tone bothers you, you have two choices: figure out how to deal with it so you can continue talking football here or find another community that better fits your preferences.

    Complaining about or criticizing the nature of a board you yourself are choosing to visit is neither productive or beneficial to the community as a whole, and certainly isn't very respectful to the administrator who pays to provide you a free site to visit in the first place.

  12. #42
    KiwiRam's Avatar
    KiwiRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Samoa
    Posts
    42
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Here's how smart people view the Rams' offseason

    1. I agree with what Av said. 120% actually
    2. I see some debate going on between a few guys, some of which not too healthy, im not siding with either party, as i dont really agree with either, but i want to ask the question.

    3. Does no one have a problem with the use of moron in this post?

    I see there are over 6000 members, I've been a member for about 2 years i think, my posts are somewhat deceiving since i messed up my accounts a couple months back. I'd assume there are a wide range of opinions on what we think the Rams should,would,can do to improve. i'd be safe to assume that their are some members on this forum that would class their opinions on the topics 'moronic' side, and even though i'd disagree with them, they are not morons, and shouldnt be cast as such by anyone.

    I dont have a problem with the post, but i've got a problem with the choice of words. I read the post when it was posted and agreed with the overall message but i didnt want to reply because of how the argument was layed out, it didnt deserve it imho.

    I even feel im rambling on a bit here so ill leave it at that.

  13. #43
    Trevor's Avatar
    Trevor is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vicenza, Italy From Hagerstown, MD
    Age
    23
    Posts
    1,289
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: Here's how smart people view the Rams' offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by peramoure View Post
    There's a difference between paying 35 million dollars for an average player with a high ceiling and paying a 7th rounder and 1 million dollars. What I'm advocating is spending smartly, like, erhm, all the terrific teams? Packers, Ravens, *****, Patriots, Giants.. they let above average guys walk instead of paying absurd money, buy guys at appropriate prices instead of jumping at the first big name. Would you rather have Cook at 35 million or Delaine Walker at a third of that? Would you rather have Finnegan at a billion dollars or a guy like Antoine Winfield, DeAngelo Hall, Aqib Talib - they're signing 1 year deals for under 5 million!

    I'm advocating for a smart approach, not a Raider/Cowboy/Redskin way of thinking which is "throw money at big names". Should we pay 5 times for 100% of the player we want, or 1/5th of that for 80% of the player? Packers, Patriots, Ravens, ***** - they do it the latter. If you read Bill Barnwell you know what I'm talking about, but smart economic minded moves make more sense.

    Another example of this would be locking up James L for an absurd effing contract. What middle linebackers make that kind of money? You can buy 90% of James L for 1/5th of what he is paid! This is the kind of "building" I hate to see.

    Moreso, to advocate that Av is critical of the Rams by pointing out he once bashed Warner or wanted Mike Martz fired is crazy. Seriously, how many years ago are we talking.. How many signatures have revolved around the "THE TIME HAS COME!!!!" or whatever it is these days? How long does that fledgling ram in the picture have to be a pup before it grows up and stops blindly supporting everything the team does? I love optimism, don't get me wrong, but any time somebody is critical, Av is quick to run to the rescue to blame somebody/some odd timing/growth, blah blah.

    Av is well spoken and I quite enjoy his points, but I'm not going to defend this team year in and year out and I'm not going to act like a homer for every move. I DEFINITELY agree the Rams are in better hands under Snead/Fisher, but give me a break. Our starting wideouts are Chris Givens and Brian Quick, and while everybody gets better around us, we sit on our hands. With the track record of ALL rookie WRs (not just the Rams god awful record), why invest in the draft instead of getting somebody with a stable track record?

    Ayway, ramble ramble. I love you Av, don't take offense.

    d
    You know.... Stats show this team is improving. The Rams record was a BIG improvement from years prior. Bradford's numbers has gotten better. This team, has gotten better.

    There's this attitude on this forum that, the Rams need to go from 1-15 or 3-13 to a 13-3 record in one season. Thats an unrealistic expectation and that is what I'm getting from this board. I think people need to ditch the "instant gratification" mindset.


    Theres this thing that is called, "The Big Picture". Your points are valid but don't be so narrow minded.

  14. #44
    TorontoRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Saint Louis
    Posts
    220
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: Here's how smart people view the Rams' offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Yeah, that doesn't answer the question at all.
    Let me put it another way. I'm a big sushi fan. I love it. I love the fish, the sauces, the experience. Everything. There are a number of really great local establishments where I could get some outstanding sushi. But the place I choose to go is my local gas station. Sure, the fish isn't fresh, the prices are high, and the service is awful. But I continue to go there because I like sushi.
    That makes about as much sense as continuing to go to a message board that you feel is primarily a cheerleading board with a lot of nonsense that you're tired of because you're a Rams fan.
    I have no problem with a variety of opinions on the Rams or football in general, be it positive or negative, optimistic or pessimistic. In fact, I love a variety of opinions because I like to debate and differing opinions allows for debate. What I do have a problem with though, as a moderator of this forum, is someone who criticizes and trashes the actual board they're choosing to come to.
    If the nature of the board, its members, or its tone bothers you, you have two choices: figure out how to deal with it so you can continue talking football here or find another community that better fits your preferences.
    Complaining about or criticizing the nature of a board you yourself are choosing to visit is neither productive or beneficial to the community as a whole, and certainly isn't very respectful to the administrator who pays to provide you a free site to visit in the first place.
    First, you are to be congratulated and thanked for being a moderator on this board. I suspect it's not always an easy task, and IMO you and the other moderators should be proud of your accomplishment. Second, my intent was not to highlight the 'cheerleading' issue, but rather to point out that there sometimes seems to be a lack of tolerance (the comment about the use of the term 'moron' that's made in a post below captures my impression that I clumsily and perhaps inappropriately used the word 'cheerleading' to describe) for anyone who is in any way critical of the Rams, which IMO stifels discussion rahter than promotes it. If I say to someone, 'Anyone who thinks.....is an 'idiot'.... I'm not exactly inviting discussion. One poster mentioned that he/she has been an observer on the board and then posted a reply. The reply to the poster was kind of swift and not exactly tolerant, which IMO would make a person ask themselves 'Why bother posting?' which seems a bit antithetical to the notion of a forum (a place for an exchange of ideas). Perhaps that better captures what I meant by my clumsy use of the word 'cheerleading.' So, I apologize for the use of a clumsy and perhaps inappropriate word to describe an impression that I have. I enjoy the threads where there's an open exchange of ideas, whether the posters agree and disagree with one another.

  15. #45
    TorontoRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Saint Louis
    Posts
    220
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: Here's how smart people view the Rams' offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by KiwiRam View Post
    1. I agree with what Av said. 120% actually
    2. I see some debate going on between a few guys, some of which not too healthy, im not siding with either party, as i dont really agree with either, but i want to ask the question.
    3. Does no one have a problem with the use of moron in this post?
    I see there are over 6000 members, I've been a member for about 2 years i think, my posts are somewhat deceiving since i messed up my accounts a couple months back. I'd assume there are a wide range of opinions on what we think the Rams should,would,can do to improve. i'd be safe to assume that their are some members on this forum that would class their opinions on the topics 'moronic' side, and even though i'd disagree with them, they are not morons, and shouldnt be cast as such by anyone.
    I dont have a problem with the post, but i've got a problem with the choice of words. I read the post when it was posted and agreed with the overall message but i didnt want to reply because of how the argument was layed out, it didnt deserve it imho.
    I even feel im rambling on a bit here so ill leave it at that.
    I think that your post captures what I was trying to say but did so perhaps clumsily by using the word 'cheerleading.' It seems that if a forum is a place for an exchange of ideas then all ideas are welcome and none are any better or worse than any others, which is why there will be agreements and disagreements. So, thanks again for your post.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: -04-30-2011, 06:33 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: -02-12-2011, 11:27 AM
  3. Bernie Bytes: Rams not smart with Jackson
    By Nick in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: -01-04-2011, 09:29 PM
  4. Replies: 21
    Last Post: -03-10-2008, 05:35 PM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: -03-10-2008, 10:24 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •