txramsfan is offline Registered User

Here's one of my favorite Rams

I thought since it is officially the offseason for us, wouldn't it be fun to have everyone go out and dig up something on their favorite Ram and post it here?

Here's mine. Jackie Slater. From the Pro Football Hall of Fame Site.

Jackie Slater, a veteran of twenty National Football League seasons, was like the Energizer Battery bunny that “just kept going and going and going.” Drafted by the Los Angeles Rams in the third round of the 1976 NFL Draft, Slater is tied for third all time for the most seasons played in the history of the league. His 259 regular-season games played were the most ever by an offensive lineman when he retired, and his 20 seasons with one team is an NFL record.

Although used primarily as a backup and special teams player during his first three seasons, Slater became a starter in 1979 and was a part of an offensive line that surrendered just 29 sacks and helped the Rams’ offense finish second in the NFL in total yards gained with 6,006.

The 6-4, 277-pound tackle went on to become the mainstay of the Rams’ offensive line. Slater was a first- or second-team all-pro selection following five different seasons and a first- or second-team All-NFC choice, seven times. A popular player known for his work ethic and leadership skills, Slater earned seven Pro Bowl berths. His first selection followed the 1983 season, and then was chosen in consecutive years from 1985 through 1990.

Twenty-four different quarterbacks and 37 different running backs played behind Slater during his long career. A powerful drive blocker, Slater blocked for seven different 1,000-yard rushers, including Lawrence McCutcheon, Wendell Tyler, Eric Dickerson, Charles White, Greg Bell, Cleveland Gary, and Jerome Bettis. He also blocked in 107 games in which a runner gained 100 yards or more. Slater was also a quality pass blocker.

Twenty-seven times Rams quarterbacks threw for 300 yards or more in a game with Jackie in the lineup. In 1983, he and the Rams offensive line demonstrated their versatility when they allowed a league-low 23 sacks while also paving the way for Dickerson’s rookie rushing record of 1,808 yards.

A veteran of 18 playoff games, including Super Bowl XIV, Slater was a model of consistent superlative play and was widely regarded as one of the game’s premier linemen.

RamTime Guest

Re: Here's one of my favorite Rams

Great read tx. thanks

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Also from the HOF website, here's my all-time favorite Ram, Merlin Olsen. Here's to you, Mr. Olsen.

MERLIN OLSEN
    Class of 1982
    Defensive Tackle >>> 6-5, 270
    (Utah State)
    1962-1976 Los Angeles Rams

Merlin Jay Olsen. . .All-America, Outland Trophy winner, Phi Beta Kappa at Utah State. . .Rams' No. 1 draft pick, 1962. . . Big, fast, agile, smart. . .Stabilizing leader of famed “Fearsome Foursome” defensive line. . . All-NFL, 1964, 1966-1970. . . All-Western Conference six times, All-NFC twice. . . Rookie of Year, 1962. . .Picked on Rams' all-time team, 1970. . .Played in 208 games, last 198 in a row. . .Born September 15, 1940, in Logan, Utah.

Merlin Olsen was a coach's player. Punctual, steady, gifted, a quiet leader, a player you could always count on. He was a standout as a rookie and thereafter stood out in every game he played for the Rams in a 15- year career. Every game. Fifteen years.

As a rookie Olsen was voted into the Pro Bowl. And in the winters that followed they never played a Pro Bowl without him for 14 consecutive years. Ten times he was selected a first- or second-team All-Pro. Merlin came to the Rams as one of their two first round draft choices in 1962.

He had the physical qualifications of the best-ever defensive tackles of the day, as evidenced by the fact that he won the Outland Trophy as a collegian at Utah State. But Merlin’s true strength may have been the intelligence he used in each game.

During the off-season he earned a master’s degree in economics. It was Olsen's hard luck to perform for many mediocre teams in Los Angeles – he never won a Super Bowl – but he had as much to do as any other individual with glamorizing defensive football in the NFL.

Before the era of Olsen, and teammate and future Hall of Fame defensive end Deacon Jones, this was an offensive league. Few fans talked knowledgeably about defense. Starting in the 1960s the Rams fielded one of the most famous of the front fours of that or any other time, the “Fearsome Foursome” of Jones, Olsen, Roosevelt Grier and Lamar Lundy. And the anchor and leader of the group was Olsen. He was the stabilizer in the middle that allowed the others to tee off on quarterbacks. Olsen kept order along the scrimmage line, often stopping the draw play himself or quickly identifying the screen pass
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Let's make this a fun thread folks. I'm anxious to hear anecdotes that I wouldn't normally hear about your favorite Ram.

If you don't, then I'll just pick from random and fill this puppy up.

:tongue:

Ok, here's my SECOND one....Mr. Isiah Robertson

As a young man growing up in New Orleans, Isiah Robertson dreamed of becoming a great football player. He was noted as an outstanding athlete throughout high school and his dreams began to take shape when he received a scholarship to Southern University in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. In those 4 years of college, Isiah earned many honors.

As a senior he was named to the Sporting News and Time magazine All-American Teams and also named on the AP and UPI College All-American Teams. He holds the longest interception record (102 yards) and had 11 interceptions in 3 years.

Isiah also received a Bachelor of Science degree in Business Marketing. Robertson's dreams became reality when he was chosen as a first round draft pick for the Los Angeles Rams in 1971 as an outside linebacker, in which he was the 10th player picked in college football. He made All-Pro his rookie year and was the Wheaties Rookie of the Year; the Rams Rookie of the Year; and the National Football Conference Rookie of the Year. Isiah started in 163 consecutive games; recovered 14 fumbles; made 13 playoff starts; 24 interceptions for 349 yards (avg. of 14.5 yds.); and 4 TDs.

During his 12 year career Robertson was noted as an outstanding pass defender and big play maker. His credentials included 6 years All-Pro appearances and selected to 6 All-Pro teams and 5 years was Linebacker of the Year.

I In July 1979 Robertson was traded to the Buffalo Bills. In 4 years Isiah helped Coach Chuck Knox restore Buffalo from one of the worst teams in the NFL to a playoff contender. Robertson was involved with Special Olympics for 10 years; coached 10 years in Little League Baseball; 8 years in the Junior All-American football and held football schools for the underprivileged kids for 6 years in Southern California area.

After retiring from the NFL in 1983, Robertson became president and owner of a cellular telephone system franchise in California. As a successful business man, he came in contact with the "in people", big bucks and became entangled in the California social drug scene. His life unraveled and 12 years of hard work went "up in smoke".

As a result of his drug use he lost his home, his family, his business and almost his life. Through the loss of all those things that were so precious to him, he realized that he had become a drug addict. After 3 years of hard work and rehabilitation, Robertson had finally been delivered and restored from drugs and alcohol and has been clean for 11 years. He cannot forget how difficult it was to kick the habit himself and because of that Robertson has founded the House of Isaiah which is a drug and alcohol treatment center located in Mabank, Texas. HOI is a place where youth and adults can find spiritual and emotional freedom from the bondages of drugs and alcohol.

Robertson has dedicated his life to traveling over the United States and Canada educating youth and adults on the dangers of drugs and alcohol with his dynamic platform message called "Run To Win".

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Some years ago before the Rams moved to St. Louis, I took my then young son back to California to visit with his tutu ( grandmother ). At the time the Rams were in the middle of training camp in Anaheim about 80 + miles away. I wasn't about to squander an opportunity to see the Rams in person, much less my son Chris who at the time was into football cards and badly wanted autographs.
    When we finally arrived at the practice facility there were familiar faces everwhere: Jim Everett, Tom Newberry, Jackie Slater, the cornerback who ended up going to jail for drugs--can't think of his name, Coach Robinson, Henry Ellard, Jack Youngblood (on the sidelines--he had retired by then but looked like he could still play), and Kevin Greene just to name a few.
    After the day's scrimmage concluded, the players had to walk about two hundred yards to the training facility/weightroom which was the moment the autograph seekers were waiting for; I must say here that all the players were extremely patient, big names included, and just about everyone got pictures and autographs. Unfortunately I am pretty much computer illiterate and lack the know how to share the old pictures I have via computer. However, I digress.. One by one the players disappeared into the weight room as a Ram PR guy made sure only players went in. It was not long before I was the only adult left among a group of kids, the PR guy having left by
    then. It was then that I noticed the door to the gym crack open an inch or two, and soon thereafter a very large person emerged holding his finger to his lips urging the kids to be silent. The large person was none other than Kevin Greene, who proceeded to allow all of us into the weight room on the condition that we remain in one area and not pester anyone. Regrettably I was out of film by then so I didn't get pictures inside the training facility, however I will never forget all that equipment--machines I had never known existed. Kevin G. explained stuff to various kids--it was obvious he really liked and related to kids.
    Other than that one afternoon, the thing I will remember most about Kevin as a Ram was the incredible play he made when the Rams were playing Philly in Philly during the playoffs. Philly had the ball--third and short--key conversion--they ran--Kevin somehow literally jumped over the blockers and landed on the runningback's back--dropped him for a loss--tremendous play!! This by the way was the same game that Jackie Slater handled the Great Reggie White, White being in his prime at the time. The TV announcers repeatedly showed the Slater/White matchup in between plays. The Rams went on to win that game by the way!

Guess I have rambled on enough...Kevin sure made those kids' day that afternoon....and mine too!!

GO RAMMS!!!!!!!!!! :ramlogo:

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

My favorite Ram would have to be Isaac Bruce. Not only is he one of the league's most unselfish guys, but you have to admire a guy who's been with one team his whole career. Typically WR's tend to be the most selfish people on the team. We've been blessed with having The Rev. Ike wearing the horns.

Who could forget that long TD grab in the SuperBowl? I know I never will.

I'm working on an Isaac Bruce shrine in my newly constructed Rams room. Right now all I have is an autographed 8x10, a signed jersey from 1998, and a pennant featuring The Rev. Oh yeah, an 8x10 of that memorable SuperBowl catch too. Some day I hope to build a swivelling display case featuring that jersey and an autographed helmet.

Marshall1 is offline Registered User

Jackie Slater, what a great lineman.
    I liked Jack Youngblood awesome player, played with a broken leg in 1980 Superbowl.

Best Ram to walk the feild, Eric Dickerson.
    "Championship's are won with defense" :angryram:

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

List of real good rams: Cullin bryant, Willie flipper Anderson,Les Josephson,Jack Snow,For one real good season Vince Ferragamo,John Hadl was good,eventhough this guy couldnt hold on to the football I loved to watch him play,and thats Wendell Tyler.

Go find some articles and let's learn something about them that we may not have known before.

We have all offseason. We have plenty of time on our hands. Go out and dig up some articles on those guys and let's work on our Rams history shall we?

:tongue:

theodus69 is offline Registered User

Flipper is the cousin of my Neighbor across the street. My neighbor is also related to Gasten Green. The day of Rams -Titans S.B. I met another dude who went to school with Joe Montana at ND. Then played with him on 2 of the SB Teams. But he was a niner , who cares. Almost made it out the door with his Ring though!
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

Marshall1 is offline Registered User

Red face Re: Here's one of my favorite Rams

Eric Dickerson
    Rams 1983 - 1987
    NFL: ALL Rookie of the year 83 :ramlogo:
    Player of the week, weeks 10 and 15 1984, week 5 1986 :ramlogo:
    Player of the month 1986 :ramlogo:
    NFC player of the year 1984 :ramlogo:
    NFL Rookie of the year :ramlogo:
    NFL Running back of the year 83,84 and 86 :ramlogo:
    NFC Offensive player of the year 83, 84 and 86 :ramlogo:
    NFL All decade team 1980's First Team :ramlogo: