Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    HornyRam is offline Registered User

Hey, Rex Ryan, you got something to prove?

While the site is currently divided with two sides, one side bashing Bulger and the other side chasing trolls, perhaps we lost sight of something more important from the first preseason game of 2009.

Just what was Rex Ryan trying to prove? Does this guy have a Chip on his shoulder from the Rams?

Jim Thomas mentioned in a recent article at the post that Rex threw some exotic blitz packages at the Rams. My question is why?

Thomas also mentioned that the Rams staff did not prepare for anything like this since it was not evident from their review of the Ravens defensive tactics during the previous preseason. Why would Rex use such tactics in a meaningless preseason game? Does he have something against the Rams? Does he have something to prove to the NY fans and Spags?

Akin to his daddy, maybe Rex fancies himself as a bit of a maverick? Now I'm not saying Rex would do anything like his daddy, who once put a bounty on a cowboys QB and K (Aikman and Zendejas), but it sure seems a bit dirty to be using exotic blitz packages to unleash the dogs on our starting QB during a preseason game. Rex probably had a good idea that our Rams would not have prepared for such attacks and the odds for Bulger getting injured go way up when Rex uses such tactics.

ramsanddodgers is online now Registered User

Re: Hey, Rex Ryan, you got something to prove?

Tipping at windmills?
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

Drummerman1011 is offline Registered User

What doesn't kill our team makes us stronger, I am glad he did it. Gives our team a chance to develop quicker and see things from the middle of the season that we can study for now. I would have rather faced the problem of our RBs not being able to block now, and being able to pick up blitzes now, than Week 1. Also Bulger needed to get hit a little just to get used to hitting since there is no hitting quarterbacks in practice.

Dominating D is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HornyRam View Post
    While the site is currently divided with two sides, one side bashing Bulger and the other side chasing trolls, perhaps we lost sight of something more important from the first preseason game of 2009.

Just what was Rex Ryan trying to prove? Does this guy have a Chip on his shoulder from the Rams?

Jim Thomas mentioned in a recent article at the post that Rex threw some exotic blitz packages at the Rams. My question is why?

Thomas also mentioned that the Rams staff did not prepare for anything like this since it was not evident from their review of the Ravens defensive tactics during the previous preseason. Why would Rex use such tactics in a meaningless preseason game? Does he have something against the Rams? Does he have something to prove to the NY fans and Spags?

Akin to his daddy, maybe Rex fancies himself as a bit of a maverick? Now I'm not saying Rex would do anything like his daddy, who once put a bounty on a cowboys QB and K (Aikman and Zendejas), but it sure seems a bit dirty to be using exotic blitz packages to unleash the dogs on our starting QB during a preseason game. Rex probably had a good idea that our Rams would not have prepared for such attacks and the odds for Bulger getting injured go way up when Rex uses such tactics.
    So lets blame Rex for the Rams not being prepared to play the game of football? Sounds like another excuse to me? I'm tired of hearing excuses from this organization it seems in the last few years that'ss the only thing the Rams and coaches are good at.

I am tired of hearing excuses lets see some progress. How many new offensive lineman do we have to add and/or coaches do the Rams have to hire before the Rams can pass protect and throw the ball downfield?

I am far from being a Bulger hater but I am tired of hearing all of these excuses. Some fans may try to dress it up and say it's this or that and you need to provide evidence? All I can say is it has become evident that with all these changes the results look and feel very similar to last year. Same old excuses and same old poor result.

I usually do not hold much value in the preseason, however, what I heard from the players and coaches concern me. How can you call yourselves professionals and go into a game unprepared? Excuses is a loser mentality and this is what the Rams have been. So those who want to continue to support these excuses then it's your choice but I am looking for accountability and effort in making positive change. No more excuses I've heard enough.

Finally, what is the QB responsibility/role?

Is Bulger effective in these responsibility/roles? Is he adjusting to what the defense is giving him? Is he putting his players in the right position to make plays? Is he accountable and holding others accountable for poor play and missing assignments?
    Last edited by Dominating D; -08-17-2009 at 11:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominating D View Post
    So lets blame Rex for the Rams not being prepared to play the game of football? Sounds like another excuse to me? I'm tired of hearing excuses from this organization it seems in the last few years that'ss the only thing the Rams and coaches are good at.

I am tired of hearing excuses lets see some progress. How many new offensive lineman do we have to add and/or coaches do the Rams have to hire before the Rams can pass protect and throw the ball downfield?

I am far from being a Bulger hater but I am tired of hearing all of these excuses. Some fans may try to dress it up and say it's this or that and you need to provide evidence? All I can say is it has become evident that with all these changes the results look and feel very similar to last year. Same old excuses and same old poor result.

I usually do not hold much value in the preseason, however, what I heard from the players and coaches concern me. How can you call yourselves professionals and go into a game unprepared? Excuses is a loser mentality and this is what the Rams have been. So those who want to continue to support these excuses then it's your choice but I am looking for accountability and effort in making positive change. No more excuses I've heard enough.

Finally, what is the QB responsibility/role?

Is Bulger effective in these responsibility/roles? Is he adjusting to what the defense is giving him? Is he putting his players in the right position to make plays? Is he accountable and holding others accountable for poor play and missing assignments?
    What excuses?

Look, if their are any boneheads out there, and I'm not saying there are, but just in case, my post is a poorly veiled accusation; Not an excuse!

The last time I checked, Bulger went 4/4 for 77 yards, no turnovers and the Rams won a meaningless preseason game.

What's to excuse?

Rams did not prepare? Bulger and the staff stated this. As far as I am concern that is an excuse not an attack on your post just tired of hearing excuses from players and the coaches.

The last time I checked, Bulger went 4/4 for 77 yards, no turnovers and the Rams won a meaningless preseason game.

If that is all you got out of his performance no sense in discussing it any further. If your happy with his performance and the Rams protection then so be it.

maxxdigger is offline Registered User

I feel I have to say this but the sacks were not the results of poor offense line play, But rather the lack of blitz pick-up by the running backs period.

To respond the the OP how would rex ryan like it if the rams were to blitz like he did and take out his overpaid QB?

I'll gues we will fnd out when he goes against his old team Monday

If that is all you got out of his performance no sense in discussing it any further. If your happy with his performance and the Rams protection then so be it.
    Certainly there are things to continue to work on, but let's put that in perspective.

Do you think any of the 32 teams came away from their first preseason game with absolutely no mistakes and nothing further to work on?

It was the first preseason game on the road in NY and the Rams came away with a win. And they won despite the fact that Rex Ryan was out to prove something. Remember last regular season the Rams got pounded by the jets. If you see no progress at all from the previous staff then you are possibly a very negative person and simply don't want to see.

Other than the fact that it was the first preseason game for an entirely new staff - what's to excuse?

Quote Originally Posted by maxxdigger View Post
    To respond the the OP how would rex ryan like it if the rams were to blitz like he did and take out his overpaid QB?
    Now that's what I'm talking about!

they blitz in a preseason game boooohooooo..... They've never did this before booooohooooo.... Let's blame Rex Ryan for blitzing and make and say he was overjealous in trying to prove something boooooohoooo. That sounds like a very good excuse..... Last time I check blitzing was part of the game and has been used in preason games.

If you do not complete your job do you feel comfotable telling your boss that you came unprepared?

Oh, It's preseason no one blitzes in preseason? Not true, it has become much more popular in preseason games. The Rams have blitz in preseason games so why would they expect others not too?

Do you think any of the 32 teams came away from their first preseason game with absolutely no mistakes and nothing further to work on?

Where did you assume that I expecting perfection? All I've said is it has become evident that with all these changes the results look and feel very similar to last year. Same old excuses and same poor result.

If you see no progress at all from the previous staff then you are possibly a very negative person and simply don't want to see.

Not a negative person at all. Just tired of hearing all the excuses for lack of execution on the offensive side. How many more lineman have to be added before the Rams show progress with protection and positive play from the QB position? I've heard excuses from the old staff and now it seems the new staff. Just tired of excuses.

We(the Rams) were not ready for the Jets blitz? Is this an excuse? Do not spin it just answer the question???

So on the offensive side I can say I have not seen progress. Now if you want to talk about the defensive or special teams then my response will be much more positive.

Go Rams
    Last edited by Dominating D; -08-18-2009 at 07:08 PM.

maxxdigger is offline Registered User

Ok so alot of teams blitz in the preseason no big deal but those blitz's are usually straight up blitz's

rex used overload blitz's on all his blitz's which is nearly impossible to pck up with o-line hence those sacks were more the fault of the running backs not picking up on blitz reads

so go ahead and harp on the o-line but better point alot of that to running backs and also the QB and wide receivers for not changing to hot routes on those plays

rams were ready for blitz's just not overload blitz's which is what coach spags was talking about

shower beers is offline Registered User

I think the point that he was (hopefully) trying to make, is that there is an unwritten rule about this kind of stuff. A gentleman's agreement so to speak, not to do anything crazy like this during preseason, to prevent unnecessary injury amongst other things. Ryan seemed to have ignored this agreement.

And can we stop saying exotic? It feels like a 24 hour news channel who picks up on one key word and uses it exclusively, like maverick.

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

I think he basically decided to play the game (scheme- and tactics-wise, obviously not personnel-wise) like it was a regular season game. Usually coaches don't do that in preseason but I can certainly see the point that it would help his team get prepared in more realistic circumstances and maybe be more ready to go week 1 than otherwise. I don't think he even thought about Bulger or that he was playing the Rams, I'm sure he would have done the same against any other team.

shower beers is offline Registered User

But a point to be made in that respect, he was sending in a guy that is going to be suspended for the first four weeks. That seems a little over the top, in my opinion. Clearly, he's not getting his defense ready for week one.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Drummerman1011 View Post
    What doesn't kill our team makes us stronger, I am glad he did it. Gives our team a chance to develop quicker and see things from the middle of the season that we can study for now. I would have rather faced the problem of our RBs not being able to block now, and being able to pick up blitzes now, than Week 1. Also Bulger needed to get hit a little just to get used to hitting since there is no hitting quarterbacks in practice.
    I agree, if they don't see it now how will they know how to handle it in the regular season,isn't that what preseason is for ?

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers
    I think the point that he was (hopefully) trying to make, is that there is an unwritten rule about this kind of stuff. A gentleman's agreement so to speak, not to do anything crazy like this during preseason, to prevent unnecessary injury amongst other things. Ryan seemed to have ignored this agreement.
    That's it in a nutshell.

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers
    And can we stop saying exotic? It feels like a 24 hour news channel who picks up on one key word and uses it exclusively, like maverick.
    Yeah, exotic is a pretty stupid word for football talk. I'll try not to use that ever again. As far as maverick goes - A better word that describes his tactics escapes me.

As long as we are on the word subject.....I'm not too fond of your screen name, but I never thought of complaining about it to you until now.

Where did you assume that I expecting perfection?
    Where did I comment on your expectations to begin with? Although, now that you bring it up, from the looks of your writing, it is obvious you expect less than excellent, let alone perfection.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominating D
    We(the Rams) were not ready for the Jets blitz? Is this an excuse? Do not spin it just answer the question???
    Spags stated they did not expect that type of blitzing and therefore did not prepare for it. As I see it, Spags is taking responsibility for the error in judgement. On the other hand you are spinning it into an excuse to perpetuate your negative attitude towards the team that you claim to be a fan of.

Personally I'm not going to think twice about it. I have read enough positive things about coach Spags and his approach. The Rams were otherwise very well prepared for a first preseason game on the road.

I posted to be critical of the tactics used by Rex Ryan. I did this in an attempt to deflect all of the criticism from the team in general as I felt it was completely uncalled for.

Just trying a different approach to talking football. I'd rather cuss Rex than my team at this point of the season.

As usual, it was a complete waste of my time to attempt to talk a little football with you people.

Nonetheless thanks for your time!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast