Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    MOM
    MOM is offline Registered User

Re: Hey, Rex Ryan, you got something to prove?

HornyRam...I will actually try to answer one of the questions you posed.

The reason to try plays that are off the beaten path during the preseason is to see whether or not they work before the games count, instead of pulling them out later and paying for it. It can mean the difference between getting that last Wildcard spot and missing it by one play...the strange one that didn't work.

[SIGPIC]http://www.stickershoppe.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/MLRPANCmini.jpg[/SIGPIC]This is for Randy! GO BRM!

HornyRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MOM View Post
    HornyRam...I will actually try to answer one of the questions you posed.

The reason to try plays that are off the beaten path during the preseason is to see whether or not they work before the games count, instead of pulling them out later and paying for it. It can mean the difference between getting that last Wildcard spot and missing it by one play...the strange one that didn't work.
    Hey thanks!

Yeah, like a fake punt or an onsides kick. Certainly these types of plays have a chance of working if executed properly. A team practices the execution to increase the odds for success during game time.

However, Rex's tactics were on the cheap side. Traditionally head coaches don't pull this kind of aggressive crap during preseason, lest they have it pulled on them. Then it just gets ugly and no one would even give their first string QB any reps.

Preseason is bad enough with injuries and then Rex has to go and be a jerk about it. He's not gaining anything. He knew he would be catching the Rams completely offguard.

After his tactics, I'm happy the fat jerk did not become the Rams head coach.

MOM

Quote Originally Posted by HornyRam View Post
    Hey thanks!

Yeah, like a fake punt or an onsides kick. Certainly these types of plays have a chance of working if executed properly. A team practices the execution to increase the odds for success during game time.

However, Rex's tactics were on the cheap side. Traditionally head coaches don't pull this kind of aggressive crap during preseason, lest they have it pulled on them. Then it just gets ugly and no one would even give their first string QB any reps.

Preseason is bad enough with injuries and then Rex has to go and be a jerk about it. He's not gaining anything. He knew he would be catching the Rams completely offguard.

After his tactics, I'm happy the fat jerk did not become the Rams head coach.
    We'll have do agree to disagree on this. I don't consider trying out a new play to see if it works is that cheap. I would consider doing something that clearly violates NFL rules, then crying ignorance cheap. I would consider telling players to yank on a facemask and see what happens after paying the refs not to throw the flag cheap.

I wouldn't necessarily call him a jerk for doing his job, which is to find every way for his team to be successful that he can, as long as he doesn't ignore the rules.

I would also argue that he IS gaining important knowledge about what will work for him, and what won't.

I'm curious about something. If he had called those plays against the team you hate the most, would you still be critical of him?
    [SIGPIC]http://www.stickershoppe.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/MLRPANCmini.jpg[/SIGPIC]This is for Randy! GO BRM!

HornyRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MOM View Post
    We'll have do agree to disagree on this. I don't consider trying out a new play to see if it works is that cheap. I would consider doing something that clearly violates NFL rules, then crying ignorance cheap. I would consider telling players to yank on a facemask and see what happens after paying the refs not to throw the flag cheap.

I wouldn't necessarily call him a jerk for doing his job, which is to find every way for his team to be successful that he can, as long as he doesn't ignore the rules.

I would also argue that he IS gaining important knowledge about what will work for him, and what won't.

I'm curious about something. If he had called those plays against the team you hate the most, would you still be critical of him?
    That's cool, we can disagree. I call him a jerk because I think he is outside the norm of his job as a head coach. Keep in mind it's preseason and these types of tactics are not generally used. In that sense, he is ignoring unwritten rules.

I don't think he gains knowledge at all. All he does is show his hand. Now teams will prepare for his tactics. One could argue he now gains the advantage by keeping the offense guessing. However, teams will simply prep differently now that they have film and he has shown his tendencies.

It's still preseason so I'd call these tactics cheap against any team and yes I'd be critical. I wouldn't post on our message board about it but I'd still think he was a big fat jerk. And I don't care what you say, he is fat.

Now when the regular season starts.......that's a whole new ballgame.

MOM

Quote Originally Posted by HornyRam View Post

It's still preseason so I'd call these tactics cheap against any team and yes I'd be critical. I wouldn't post on our message board about it but I'd still think he was a big fat jerk. And I don't care what you say, he is fat.
    I am truly glad to see this. Very respectable.

And when I asked you if you would still call him a jerk, I omitted "fat" on purpose, because I was afraid that if he caught me saying he was, he would eat me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12