Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

Is Hill Another Wasted Draft Pick?

By Howard Balzer
    Tuesday, December 09, 2008

The Rams finally gave up on cornerback Tye Hill for the 2008 season when he was placed on injured reserve Monday. Hill injured his knee in the fourth game of the season against the Buffalo Bills, and never got on the field again.

Hill missed nine games in 2007 because of injury, so he has now played just 12 games out of 32 in the past two seasons. A first-round pick in 2006, Hill was the first pick of the 36-game Scott Linehan era. He was replaced on the roster by cornerback Quincy Butler, who was waived by the Cowboys on Friday. The Rams were assigned him Monday.

Butler was originally an undrafted free agent that signed with Dallas in 2006. He was also on the Saints' practice squad this season. Butler is 6-1, 190, and went to Texas Christian.

Hill is the 10th Rams player currently on injured reserve.

SIMPLY NOTING
    *Coach Jim Haslett said Monday right tackle Alex Barron would return as the starter for Sunday's game against the Seattle Seahawks. Barron did not start against Arizona because he was late for a team meeting last Friday.

*Kicker Josh Brown tweaked his groin in practice last Thursday and felt it tighten up during the game against the Cardinals. He isn't expected to kick in practice this week … Cornerback Fakhir Brown twisted his ankle against the Cardinals, but isn't expected to miss any time … Linebacker Gary Stills was having an MRI on the knee he injured Sunday against Arizona.

Haslett said the 42-yard field goal Brown missed in the second quarter Sunday was "probably the most disappointing play in the game." Why? "Because we had the chance to get the score down to a one-score game and we missed it. Then we gave up a big play and held them to a field goal so instead of going into halftime 17-10 we went in 20-7 at halftime. So that was the most disappointing play in the game.”

Brown is now 8 of 11 on field goals from 40-49 yards and 6 of 8 from 50 yards or more.

*The Rams are now minus-11 in turnover ratio for the season, tied for third-worst in the NFL. In the team's two wins, they were plus-6, meaning they are minus-17 in their 11 losses.

*In Monday' story, it was mentioned that running back Steven Jackson's rushing yards added up to 67, not 64 in the official gamebook issued after the game. It turns out the discrepancy came on Jackson's second fumble. Because the ball went backward three yards before it was recovered, those yards go against Jackson's total.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Is Hill Another Wasted Draft Pick?

So far Hill is a wasted pick. To think we traded down with Denver so that they could get Jay Cutler!!!

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

at this point you have to say he was a wasted pick but he still has time to prove himself on this level,I for one don't think he will.

viper is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    So far Hill is a wasted pick. To think we traded down with Denver so that they could get Jay Cutler!!!
    The Tye Hill pick never did excite me too much. Particularly, due to his size. Cornerback certainly was a big need at the time and even with the potential risk due to injuries I was hoping for Cromarte.

But, in hindsight, the Jay Cutler pick sure would look good right about now.

mdram is offline Registered User

Did he not play horrible in the games he did start.
    The Shaw and zagnut era can not end fast enough.

NY RAMFAN is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by viper View Post
    But, in hindsight, the Jay Cutler pick sure would look good right about now.
    Agree, but at that point Marc was comming off his best season, I doubt that anybody was looking to draft a QB that draft.

On another note, which pick was worse, Hill or Candidate?

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NY RAMFAN View Post
    Agree, but at that point Marc was comming off his best season, I doubt that anybody was looking to draft a QB that draft.

On another note, which pick was worse, Hill or Candidate?
    Bulger was injured in 2005, the year before he had his career season. His best season prior to that draft came in 2004. But as we all know, Cutler was a smokescreen from the very beginning and was never really an option for us unless he slid far into the second round.

And Canidate is by far the worse of the two. We had an MVP RB in his prime at the time, where would we find time to play Trung besides injury? And even though Hill has been disappointing, under a new coaching staff and fresh faces I believe it could give him new life.

viper is offline Registered User

I agree, Hill was the better pick. He usually does a good job of staying with his man. He just doesn't play the ball well enough yet. That part reminds me alot of Travis Fisher. I still have hope for him. But, he needs to stay healthy if he wants to have the chance. If he continues to be injury prone he may not get the chance as a Ram much longer.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Does anyone think Cutler would be looking like a good QB in St. Louis right now? Because I don't.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Its easy to play the "we could have taken ____" game, so I'm not going down that road.

Hill has been a disappointment, without a doubt. That said, I'm not quite ready to give up on him. I believe he has one more year (2009) on his rookie contract. He'll have to earn the next one, but I'm going to continue to hold out hope. Perhaps, if the Rams get a new DC and put in a different system, he'll play better.

One can only hope.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Its easy to play the "we could have taken ____" game, so I'm not going down that road.

Hill has been a disappointment, without a doubt. That said, I'm not quite ready to give up on him. I believe he has one more year (2009) on his rookie contract. He'll have to earn the next one, but I'm going to continue to hold out hope. Perhaps, if the Rams get a new DC and put in a different system, he'll play better.

One can only hope.
    I personally hope we get more than just a new DC, but rather a whole new coaching staff. I do agree that he may yet develop into a dependable CB, but as one other entry on this thread pointed out he must stay healthy for that to happen. I'm reminded of Ray Mickens with Hill who was an average to better-than-average CB in his tenure with the Jets. They both were/are undersized for the position.

Go Rams!

maineram is offline Registered User

Aside from the injuries, when he has been on the field he has shown very little field and ball awareness in his coverage. Either the defense is too complicated and he has to think too much who his man is, or he has zero confidence in his ability to cover and is intimidated by his receiver. He is relying almost solely on his closing speed to get to the receiver.

A corner that has to think too much will get beaten most of the time. Can he be coached out of these tendencies, yes with the right DB coach.

Maineram - amature CB for over twenty five years !!!
    and out of the ashes rise ...The Breakfast Club !

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Healthy he could at least be a nickel back. He doesn't deserve the spot he was drafted looking back, but you can never have enough corners. I think we need a SS this offseasn and obviously resign OJ and Bartell to sure up the secondary.

eldfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jkramsfan View Post
    at this point you have to say he was a wasted pick but he still has time to prove himself on this level,I for one don't think he will.
    The clock is ticking he needs to prove himself fast or he will be gone.
    :ramlogo:

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by eldfan View Post
    The clock is ticking he needs to prove himself fast or he will be gone.
    Agreed. I think his problems have more to do with mindset than ability and he needs to get his head straight for what will probably be his last chance next year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast