Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    curleyski is offline Registered User

Re: Is Hill the only Bust?

i think adam carriker should be back at defensive end where he belongs. how many times have the rams taken a player who is a natural at his position in college and want to move him elsewhere? does it ever work? what happened to leonard little? kind of like the "hybrid" back or something like that, they never seem to fit or work out in the rams schemes. as far as barron is concerned, this guy should have been a great one like orlando pace but he apparently just doesn't get it. when i read the draft books on him they said he was a sure lock as a great player and now look, what the heck happened? as far as tye hill, he thinks he is ALREADY a pro bowler and takes way too many chances. the end result: burnt toast. it has appeared to me that right now the team doesn't work hard enough for linehan or haslett, like maybe they have heard all the tired speeches, no respect or something like that. they looked like they just gave up on many, many plays with no sense of urgency. lets see how these potential "busts" stack up against the giants, make us rams fans proud!!! alot of the players didn't look p.o.'d when were losing, they looked like they were there for the paycheck and ready for the bus. i am hoping that this game was our worst of the year and we are going to get better, we do have alot of great players on this team and the potential to be better than the rest of the west.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

I don't think any of these guys are busts, Hill included. He battled through an injury last year to have a solid season IMO. He was horrible yesterday, but like Goldenfleece noted in his sarcastic response, one awful game does not define a career. I'm not ready to close the book on him just yet.

Dominating D is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post
    Ummm, last year he consistantly killed us with offsides penalites- putting us in 1st and 15 sitations or 2nd and long or 3rd and long all the time. Any time we got any momentum, he would jump offsides and kill it. And it doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand a snap count- and after two years of not being able to figure it out- doesn't say much for him being a first round pick.
    I guess if he had the problem of jumping offsides in college as often as you paint the picture and the Rams still took him I could see your argument. However, I do not remember this being the issue with this guy and if I remember correctly Barron was the Rams second choice cause the Saints took the other Tackle the Rams wanted......

In this case the Rams took the best tackle in the draft not the best player available.... They needed a tackle so I'm not sure what you would have expected from the Rams personal?

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Dominating D View Post
    In this case the Rams took the best tackle in the draft not the best player available.... They needed a tackle so I'm not sure what you would have expected from the Rams personal?
    Well, according to the books, Ryan Leaf was the second best QB after the Colts took Manning- doesn't make him anymore of an NFL success story. And he was great in college too- just didn't translate to the pros.

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    I don't think any of these guys are busts, Hill included. He battled through an injury last year to have a solid season IMO. He was horrible yesterday, but like Goldenfleece noted in his sarcastic response, one awful game does not define a career. I'm not ready to close the book on him just yet.
    Do you really think the Rams are benching him for one bad game?

Do you really think the Rams are benching him for one bad game?
    It looks that way to me.

eric2810 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Guam rammer View Post
    Hill definately is beginning to really piss me off.
    Yeah I agree dude, but I'm not giving up on the guy. I notice him taking risks, then getting burned, yet he has great speed. Hopefully he shows up next week.

It looks that way to me.
    Out of all the players that had ridiculously bad games yesterday- they singled him out?

Out of all the players that had ridiculously bad games yesterday- they singled him out?
    I'm guessing the addition of Manning might have had something to do with it.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Hill was very frustrated yesterday and it showed. I do not think the benching is long term. I read some comments from him today and he seemed very dedicated to improving himself.

He was in position to make some plays yesterday, and he just didn't make him. We know this guy can keep up with anybody, his technique is just lacking a little. That first pass to Jackson, if done over, I bet would be an INT for Hill.

I still have confidence he can be a good player. This is his year to make or break it. There is still time ...

I wonder how you will feel about Cromartie if he doesn't perform this one? One season doesn't make a superstar. If it did, Dexter McCleon could be a HOF'er, as didn't he haul in eight picks one year?

I wonder what you thought about Corey Chavous after he made 100 tackles and hauled in 8 INT's awhile back?

I'm guessing the addition of Manning might have had something to do with it.

A guy that was cut from the Bears for being a free agent bust? I think you're grasping at straws here. I also think that if Greco would have fared better at the tackle position in minicamp, you would see Barron riding the pine also.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

A guy that was cut from the Bears for being a free agent bust? I think you're grasping at straws here. I also think that if Greco would have fared better at the tackle position in minicamp, you would see Barron riding the pine also.
    He wasn't cut from the Bears for being a bust. He was traded for causing lots of trouble off the field.

Let me also add a hefty "wooo....wooo...let's not overstate things" to this thread. In regards to Hill- firstly; how is anyone to know what sort of a player a collegiate draftee is bound to be? I know you called Cromartie as the better corner at the time, but we've hardly seen enough from Hill to be able to judge. As Mike said, unfair circumstances last season due to injury, still was solid. Rookie campaign was...a rookie campaign. There's not much more you can draw from that.

And as for Carriker and Ryan; you're ready to discount all the positive press and positive play that these guys had at the end of last season? What disturbs me is that after one game, you're noting how nobody mentions them "anymore". Anymore? One game is suffice enough to suggest that they're now a proverbial blip on the radar?

Hey, steady, steady.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Great points BBQ. I'm not giving up on our DT's. I believe that Glover needs to get benched. Carriker at UT Ryan at NT. That would work alot better in my opinion.

I think one thing we need is a pass rush. I believe that Hill will step his game up once we get the rush. I just hope that Little comes back healthy....by tomorrow....

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    He wasn't cut from the Bears for being a bust. He was traded for causing lots of trouble off the field.
    Oh come on, first you guys reach by bringing up Manning and now you're making up trades and off the field trouble that doesn't exist to back up your wild conspiracy theories? There was no trade, the Bears released him after only two years- despite signing him to a 21 mil deal. And the only legal trouble he has been in while "with the Bears" was 2 days after the Bears gave him an offer sheet- an offer they could have pulled back, but decided not to. He spent one season as a starting DB and the second season as a nickelback and then he was cut- sounds like a bust to me.

Manning saw minimal playtime during the 2007 season, and was used a nickleback. He has since been working with the team's third string defense, and tutored Danieal Manning, who is set to replace him as the team's nickleback.[3][4] On 26 August 2008, the Chicago Bears released Ricky after a two-year career,[5] and much speculation that Manning would be cut or traded during the 2008 offseason

As Mike said, unfair circumstances last season due to injury, still was solid. Rookie campaign was...a rookie campaign. There's not much more you can draw from that.
    Well, then we certainly have different definitions of what "solid" is.

And as for Carriker and Ryan; you're ready to discount all the positive press and positive play that these guys had at the end of last season? What disturbs me is that after one game, you're noting how nobody mentions them "anymore". Anymore? One game is suffice enough to suggest that they're now a proverbial blip on the radar?
    At what point did I say I'm ready to discount them? If you actually read what I wrote- I said I'm not ready to label Ryan a bust anytime soon and was looking for a lot from him this year after what he did last year. Carriker has been MIA since the second half of last year as has most of the defense. My point was that he might be out of position- for the few snaps he took at DE, he looked very good last year. And I know- it's only one game- just like it was "only the preseason" and I was an idiot to think this defense wouldn't be ready to play by only watching the preseason- stupid me.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Certainly others struggled, but you could pin at least two of the three biggest plays allowed in that game on Hill. If I'm understanding correctly, he was actually benched during the game. Clearly on that particular day, he was really off his game, and the coaches didn't think they could afford to keep him in there. However, if the coaches really lacked faith in him as a corner, I think we would have been hearing about a battle for the starting position during camp.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast