throwback week

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    ManofGod is offline Registered User

Re: Is Hill the only Bust?

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    Certainly others struggled, but you could pin at least two of the three biggest plays allowed in that game on Hill. If I'm understanding correctly, he was actually benched during the game. Clearly on that particular day, he was really off his game, and the coaches didn't think they could afford to keep him in there. However, if the coaches really lacked faith in him as a corner, I think we would have been hearing about a battle for the starting position during camp.

Point blank the entire defense looked horrible on sunday, and everyone is to blame, we played with no passion & we lack attitude. Noone is to be benched after one week, but we'll have to see what the team looks like this week even with the injuries. I'm still calling for a loss (probally 34-14) but we'll see.

moloch41 Guest

I certainly don't think Haslett or Linehan want Hill out there on Plaxico. Geez- jackson out jumped him for a ball- what do you think Plaxico can do?

moloch41 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    Certainly others struggled, but you could pin at least two of the three biggest plays allowed in that game on Hill. If I'm understanding correctly, he was actually benched during the game. Clearly on that particular day, he was really off his game, and the coaches didn't think they could afford to keep him in there. However, if the coaches really lacked faith in him as a corner, I think we would have been hearing about a battle for the starting position during camp.
    Yes, but what does it mean if he continues to sit on the bench and only come in as a nickel or dime back barring injury to any of the other dbs?

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post
    Yes, but what does it mean if he continues to sit on the bench and only come in as a nickel or dime back barring injury to any of the other dbs?
    I guess that Haslett doesn't have confidence in him, but how does a guy who earns a start in every game of his career "lose it" in one week? It just doesn't add up for me. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm not convinced Hill is a bust.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

I certainly don't think Haslett or Linehan want Hill out there on Plaxico. Geez- jackson out jumped him for a ball- what do you think Plaxico can do?
    One, Jackson didn't do anything special to get that ball ...

McNabb through it to a spot where it would fall right into his hands if the DB missed it, and Hill just plain missed it ...

It looked like he didn't see the ball, but he was clearly in position to intercept it, all he had to do was grab it ...

moloch41 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    I guess that Haslett doesn't have confidence in him, but how does a guy who earns a start in every game of his career "lose it" in one week? It just doesn't add up for me. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm not convinced Hill is a bust.
    Well, he was a high draft pick, I'm sure they've been giving him more time to correct his flaws than if he had been a street free agent, let's say. Maybe they're not seeing him making the improvements that he should be and he's just too much of a liability to leave in there- especially with a poor passrush and a DC who doesn't like to blitz apparently. I would like to see the guy be the starter for years to come- we certainly can't keep adding to our decade long list of defensive draft busts, so I'm hoping you're right on this one.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

If he gets relegated to third or fourth on the depth chart for more than one game, I'd call it a bad sign. I normally like to give a guy about four years in the league before throwing around the word bust, but if he isn't even starting by season's end, then I think you could make a pretty good case for it. In the meantime, I'm going to hope this was an abbheration. It appeared to me that he came into the game determined to get an interception and played quite a bit worse than he has in the past because of that. I'm still holding out hope that if he focuses on preventing the catch first, he can get back on track.

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

What is it about calling players busts that makes you so happy Moloch?

I'm guessing, and this is just a guess, you're not a glass half full kinda guy? You haven't talked about Bartell looking solid or how Atowge was a good pick. I know whiner fans who rip into the rams less than you.

moloch41 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    One, Jackson didn't do anything special to get that ball ...

McNabb through it to a spot where it would fall right into his hands if the DB missed it, and Hill just plain missed it ...

It looked like he didn't see the ball, but he was clearly in position to intercept it, all he had to do was grab it ...
    Well, obviously- and that's not the first time.

moloch41 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TheBritishRam View Post
    What is it about calling players busts that makes you so happy Moloch?

I'm guessing, and this is just a guess, you're not a glass half full kinda guy? You haven't talked about Bartell looking solid or how Atowge was a good pick. I know whiner fans who rip into the rams less than you.

I've said in the past that Bartell is a decent player- I don't think he's going to have a bust in the hall of fame when he's done, but he's a decent player. I think the jury is still out on Atogwe- he can look really good and then be horribly out of position on the very next play.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

I've said in the past that Bartell is a decent player- I don't think he's going to have a bust in the hall of fame when he's done, but he's a decent player. I think the jury is still out on Atogwe- he can look really good and then be horribly out of position on the very next play.
    There is not a free safety in the league that is not going to be out of position from time to time. It's the nature of that spot - where you go relies alot on where the CB's are pushing the offensive players. Sometimes, in that free position, you have to make a choice, and you cannot always get it right ...

moloch41 Guest

There is not a free safety in the league that is not going to be out of position from time to time. It's the nature of that spot - where you go relies alot on where the CB's are pushing the offensive players. Sometimes, in that free position, you have to make a choice, and you cannot always get it right ...
    Agreed, but I think he probably does it more than usual. It's a learning process and he's young- so hopefully he'll figure it out- like I said, the jury is still out on him. I found it more inexcusable that Chavous was out of position as much as he was. After this long, he can't be making those kinds of mistakes- I'm just afraid that maybe it's no so much mental with him as much as it is that he just can't get to where he needs to be anymore. It's not a good sign when you let someone like Hank Baskett get behind you like that.

eric2810 is offline Registered User

well put Infinite. A good generalization of the position. Hence the name "free" safety.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123