RamWraith is offline Registered User

Hill Signs Five-Year Deal--Wagoner

Sunday, July 30, 2006

By Nick Wagoner
    Senior Writer

Tye Hill wanted so badly to sign a contract with the Rams that he spent the past three days in St. Louis anticipating a deal would be done soon. In fact, Hill drove to Rams Park on Friday, thinking that he might catch a glimpse of his soon-to-be teammates in action.

Alas, Hill turned away from Rams Park when he saw cameras everywhere and was forced to get his football fix a little later. After missing the first four and a half days and six practices of training camp, Hill officially became a Ram.

Hill, the 15th pick in this year’s NFL Draft, signed a five-year deal with St. Louis on Sunday night bringing filling out the Rams’ training camp roster.

“I knew it was going to get done sometime,” Hill said. “I’m glad I was already here to cut the travel out of the way. I’m ready to go at it.”

Last year, the Rams had a much longer wait for first-round choice Alex Barron to arrive. After a lengthy holdout, Barron signed on a Friday and didn’t report until the following Monday.

There was no such wait with Hill, though.

“He knew this thing was close,” President of Football Operations Jay Zygmunt said. “Sometimes when the contract gets agreed to, the player starts packing and it takes about two or three days. It’s wonderful and he’s excited. It says a lot about him and how anxious he was to get in here.”

Hill wasted no time getting to Rams Park. He arrived within moments of the notification to reporters of his signing and attended his first meeting only about a half hour later.

So began the process of getting up to speed after the missed time. Coach Scott Linehan said Hill will have some catching up to after his absence from the first few days of practice.

“He's got to catch up,” Linehan said. “Those other guys have taken full advantage of their opportunity to get a head start…Tye's going to have to spend some extra time, but we're certainly glad to get it done, and we're happy both sides were able to get it done.”

The competition at cornerback has lived up to advanced billing as the Rams essentially have four players competing for two starting spots and a nickel back job. As it stands, Jerametrius Butler, Travis Fisher and Fakhir Brown have taken full advantage of the opportunity and made a good impression on Linehan.

Most of the catching up for Hill, though, will come in the form of relearning what he already knows. The Rams have spent the first few days of practice installing the defensive scheme. The majority of those installations was already learned during the minicamps and organized team activities, but while the rest of the group has been in all of the meetings and practicing those, Hill hasn’t been able to spend time with the playbook.

For the most part, Hill spent his time running in the heat in an effort to get used to the weather so he won’t be too far behind physically when he begins practice.

Hill isn’t too concerned about his ability to catch up with the mental aspect of the game, but knows he might have a tough day or two of getting back up to speed physically.

“I don’t think I have a lot of catching up to do,” Hill said. “What they put in the first four days was basically what we put in through OTAs and minicamp. The thing for me right now is just going out to compete in this weather because it’s hot. I have been running, but football shape is a little different. I just have to get back into football shape and be able to be 100 percent like I was at the end of OTAs.”

Hill struggled with conditioning in his first minicamp, admitting that the speed of the NFL was beyond what he could have expected. Linehan also said at the time that perhaps Hill was a little wide-eyed at just being in the league.

There will be no time for any of that, though, as the defensive train is moving and not going to stop to let anyone on. It’s up to Hill to get caught up in every aspect, another reason that every second of missed time is precious.

“I knew I was already missing time and I didn’t want to miss anymore time due to travel,” Hill said. “I feel it’s very important for me to be in camp as soon as possible and as quick as possible. I figured the quickest way to do that was be here and just wait around. It’s lucky I did because if I didn’t I would have had to wait until tomorrow to catch a plane then I would have missed at least one practice tomorrow and it would have been a big rush.”

There was some speculation that Hill and the Rams were haggling over the length of the contract, but Zygmunt said Sunday night that five years was always the target for both sides.

So, what exactly was the holdup then?

“I think it was more so what everyone else was doing,” Hill said. “The first rounders are starting to get done. I think all of that plays a part when it comes down to my deal. I’m just happy to get it done.”

And with that, the Rams will have their No. 1 pick on the field Monday morning ready to begin his NFL career.

“The Rams got what they want and I got what I wanted so it’s a working relationship, it’s a contract and now I have to fulfill it,” Hill said.

RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

Re: Hill Signs Five-Year Deal--Wagoner

Yea!! Finally he gets signed!! Hopefully he can catch up with the other players in Training Camp. How many practices are left?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

“He's got to catch up,” Linehan said. “Those other guys have taken full advantage of their opportunity to get a head start…Tye's going to have to spend some extra time, but we're certainly glad to get it done, and we're happy both sides were able to get it done.”

“I don’t think I have a lot of catching up to do,” Hill said. “What they put in the first four days was basically what we put in through OTAs and minicamp..."
    Hmmm, is Hill in need of a wake up call, or is Linehan exaggerating what's been missed? Glad to hear he was in town though.

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan4ever
    How many practices are left?
    Training camp lasts until August 17th.
    Last edited by Nick; -07-30-2006 at 09:45 PM.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

All drafts picked signed, what a great feeling! Let's Rock!!!

dgr828 is offline Registered User

Thumbs down Re: Hill Signs Five-Year Deal--Wagoner

"I'VE~FOUND~MY~THRILL~WHEN~THE~RAMS~SIGNED~TYE~HILL!"
    CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL PARTIES INVOLVED, THEY GOT 'ER DUN!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

bigredman is offline Registered User

ESPN reports a five year deal worth 12.5 million with 6 million of it guaranteed (although the ticker tape during the same report said 5 years 11.1 million).
    In any event, it sounds like the kid is a team player, couldn't wait to get into camp, and all this holdout garbage was between the suits (Ram's front office and agent).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

[QUOTE=RamWraith]Sunday, July 30, 2006

By Nick Wagoner
    Senior Writer

Hill hasn’t been able to spend time with the playbook.

Huh? What's up with this statement? Wasn't Hill at least given a precursory playbook to study during the OTA's and mini-camps? If anybody knows please enlighten me. It doesn't make a whole lotta sense that he was not able to study anything before training camp.

WHAT SAY YE?

Daspeerman is offline Registered User

Re: #1 key to the rams season

Ill have to go with the health of Bulger and Jackson .... If these guys stay health , we will wil alot of games ... (13-3 my prediction), but either of these two go down ..... were done for !:confused:
    DASPEERMAN!!!!!!
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave intending on arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, martini in hand, body thoroughly used up, worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"