throwback week

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Hill's agent believes deal is getting close

By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    Saturday, Jul. 29 2006

It's now two missed days of training camp - and counting - for Rams first-round
    draft pick Tye Hill. But there is nothing to indicate that this will be a
    protracted contract stalemate for the cornerback from Clemson.

"Nothing's done yet," said agent Doug Hendrickson of Octagon, the sports agency
    that is representing Hill. "We're not worlds apart. I'm hoping to get him in
    before too long."

Meanwhile, Hill remains home in South Carolina working on his own. First-round
    draft picks throughout the league are beginning to come to terms and sign
    contracts. As of Friday evening, over half of the first round had reached
    agreements on contracts.

Included in that group are picks No. 17 through 22 behind Hill, and pick No. 13
    (Cleveland defensive end Kamerion Wimbley) ahead of Hill. But the pick
    immediately ahead of Hill - No. 14 Brodrick Bunkley of Philadelphia - and the
    pick immediately behind Hill - No. 16 Jason Allen of Miami - remain unsigned.

Often, agents wait for the picks before and after their clients to come to
    terms before making a deal. It's called "slotting" - a strategy employed to
    make sure they get a good deal for their player. But Hendrickson insisted that
    wasn't the case.

"We're not waiting for that," Hendrickson said. "That's not the holdup at all.
    We don't care what happens at 14 and 16. We just want the right structure."

Under a wrinkle in the new collective bargaining agreement, players chosen in
    the top 16 picks of the first round can sign contracts as long as six years.
    Players chosen in the bottom half of the round can sign for a maximum of five
    years.

In the case of Bunkley in Philadelphia, the Eagles want to sign him to a
    six-year deal, while Bunkley's agent is insisting on a five-year contract. It's
    not certain if that's the holdup with Hill and the Rams.

As usual, Rams president of football operations Jay Zygmunt did not say much
    about negotiations still under way. "We did talk today, and talks are ongoing,"
    Zygmunt said Friday night. "That's all I'd really like to say."

Rams coach Scott Linehan said Friday that he was hopeful that Hill would be
    under contract by the end of the weekend.

RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

Re: Hill's agent believes deal is getting close

I hope he gets signed soon.. 2 days of missed camp is not good! especialy for a rookie!

bigredman Guest

The fact that the parties are not going public with specifics regarding the "wrinkles" that are still to be ironed out is good news. This is a matter of contract length, amount of money upfront in the contract, and of course the signing bonus. I predict the deal will be done soon! (Wow, way to stick my neck out there, eh guys?)

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

It will be interesting. So is my understanding, a lot of teams and players get their contracts done by using the nubers of the picks signed before and after them, the contract from last year's pick at that position, and the amount of players at their position drafter before them in the current draft, and the dealsthey recieved (Like there was 1 QB drafted before Matt Leinart) as a rough guideline. Admittedly, teams to sign first get their players into camp earliest, but have to do more hard work in getting the picks signed.

The Rams have a situation where last year's No.15 was a super-linebacker, at some stages predicted to be top-3 material. Tye Hill was also the first of his position taken, but he was a late riser, an up-and-comer on draft boards after his huge pro day and combine workouts. As 14 and 16 have not signed due to disputes in length of contract, The Rams, after possibly taking the 'lazy' approach, in perhaps waiting for picks 14 and 16 to sign as a guideline, now have to put in the hard yards. A similar thing happened with Alex Barron last year, as is my recollection.

A similar situation is unfolding in Buffalo, Detroit and Arizona with their picks. Safety Donte Whitner has just the contract of fellow safety, Oakland's Michael Huff to learn and take information from. Leinart, at pick 10 is coming off being college football's golden boy, and has the picks of Fellow QBs Vince Young (at pick 3) and Jay Cutler (Pick 11.) Cutler was evaluated as much the lesser of the two, and Young Recieved a contract worthy of a NO 1 Pick overall, placing Leinart and the Cards between a rock and a hard place (which Is a good thing).

The keys to the castle in the first scenario, lies with the method that the Rams choose in signing Hill. Wait a while, and sign with guidelines, or put in the work, and get him here quickly.

No.2 really Relies on the signing of Ernie Sims to help both teams above and below the Lions at No.9. Otherwise, Both have their work cut oout to get their respective signings in.

AND.... BREATHE.....

jkramsfan Guest

lets get this guy in camp,we will need him this season,since i think fisher is trade bait for a #2 running back.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jkramsfan
    lets get this guy in camp,we will need him this season,since i think fisher is trade bait for a #2 running back.
    I'm not trading Fisher for any RB that's available right now, it's just not worth it. We could go after RB Michael Bennett and spend a lot less than Fisher to get him.
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Kudos to Jared Cook for saying what needed to be said about being outplayed and outcoached vs the Cards.

jkramsfan Guest

would you rather have a solid #2 backup for jackson or keep fisher who will most likely be hurt by game 5.

would you rather have a solid #2 backup for jackson or keep fisher who will most likely be hurt by game 5.
    Of course we need another RB but like I said, who do you suggest we go after? Nobody that is available right now is worth trading Travis Fisher for. Basically Bennett is the only half decent RB that is on the trading block. Brown now wants to stay in Tenn so he's probably out.

As for T Fish possibly being hurt by game 5, you could say that about anyone so it's not relevant.
    Last edited by ramsbruce; -07-30-2006 at 04:35 PM.
    Kudos to Jared Cook for saying what needed to be said about being outplayed and outcoached vs the Cards.

jkramsfan Guest

what has fisher done in the past few seasons that makes him untouchable,you can have him, i would trade him for 3 cases of beer if i could.
    Last edited by jkramsfan; -07-30-2006 at 07:30 PM.

what has fisher done in the past few seasons that makes him untouchable,you can have i would trade him for 3 cases of beer if i could.
    I never said he was untouchable. I'm not going to just give him away for nothing, and you haven't suggested anyone that is worth trading him for.

jkramsfan Guest

your right and maybe we should keep him,i just dont think he makes our defense better,but to your point of him being on the team ,i think and i could be wrong but i believe he is in a contract year and we all know players seem to have career years in that final year of their contract,so who knows.

your right and maybe we should keep him,i just dont think he makes our defense better,but to your point of him being on the team ,i think and i could be wrong but i believe he is in a contract year and we all know players seem to have career years in that final year of their contract,so who knows.
    He may make our D better, he may not. But he doesn't make it any worse. It's always good to have some vets and just extra bodies in our secondary. There is just no point in trading him if we won't get some sort of value back. Sure we need another RB, but like I said we should be able to get Bennett for a lot less than trading Fisher.

I'm not sure if he's in a contract year or not, but if he has a great season that's obviously great for us. We can worry about what to do with him next year, not now just because he's (possibly???) in a contract year.