Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

Hindsight is 20/20....

yeah we had a decent first three rounds and picked up two first rounders in the the first two rounds, but we could have picked up Suh and had
    Clausen. I'm taking back what I said earlier, I don't like our picks.

TheRammer Guest

Re: Hindsight is 20/20....

look I was in favor of Suh to. I thought that would have been the best decision. I've become a Suh fan as well as a McCoy fan and will follow them with their respective teams... with that being said stop whining and get on board and support our new franchise player, and support the DeSpag's era. they are making the smartest picks for our franchise.

svh01 is offline Registered User

I agree. I'm not happy with the direction we are going. They keep talking about building the right way, but I see the opposite. Teams that are successful use both FA and the draft. You get good vets for your foundation and draft for need and depth. As the vets age you plug in the younger player after they've had time to develop. Our team is already young. We have talent that needs to develop, so what do we do? Bring in more talent to develop. Successful teams generally build a team before they bring in franchise QB.
    Last edited by svh01; -04-24-2010 at 01:45 PM.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Honestly, can you not feel a change with the Rams? Hell, this entire NFC West has had great drafts this year and I wouldn't be surprised to see this entire division become really competitive. I really feel like good things are happening with this team and I can't help but be excited for next season. I'm sure there's going to be some growing pains with Bradford but Devaney and Spags clearly thought he was the Best Player Available and believe he's the face of the Rams' future.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

Man I hope he turns out to be the next Sam Bradford, but its hard to tell.

SavageRam is offline Registered User

We're all faithful that Spags and Devaney will turn the ship around through their skill in coaching and personnel development, not their skill in clairvoyance.

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    Honestly, can you not feel a change with the Rams?
    I want the team to win, I just don't see much to get optimistic about. I am not a big fan of the "3 or 4 years from now we will be a play off caliber team" approach. That's good for an expansion team but not for an established team. As fans are we supposed to accept that team is willing to not win from 2005-2012 using the excuse of building for the future? Where is the since of urgency? If we go 3-13 this year, and 5-11 the next do you think Spags will be here? Devaney might be gone too. Which will bring about more change. Which is in most cases isn't a good thing.

As for the rest of the division? I don't want them to be competitive and I hate to see them improve. I am Rams Fan they are the only team I care about in the division, in the NFL for that matter.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by svh01 View Post
    I want the team to win, I just don't see much to get optimistic about. I am not a big fan of the "3 or 4 years from now we will be a play off caliber team" approach. That's good for an expansion team but not for an established team. As fans are we supposed to accept that team is willing to not win from 2005-2012 using the excuse of building for the future? Where is the since of urgency? If we go 3-13 this year, and 5-11 the next do you think Spags will be here? Devaney might be gone too. Which will bring about more change. Which is in most cases isn't a good thing.

As for the rest of the division? I don't want them to be competitive and I hate to see them improve. I am Rams Fan they are the only team I care about in the division, in the NFL for that matter.
    These posts are funny to me. We were one of the youngest teams in the league last year. The majority of these younger players will be improved this year. Whereas many of the more competetive teams in the league are stacked full of veterans, who will tail off as the years progress ...

We were battered and wounded for the majority of 2009. Sure, we were 1-15, but seven, yes SEVEN, game we lost we had a chance to win in the final possession. Not only will we win some of those games in 2010, but we also will be making some of the other games even closer ...

Projecting records for teams is not a science, it's difficult at best. We could be 1-15, 4-12, 7-9, or 10-6 next year, who knows. Teams make crazy turn arounds in this league all the time ...

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    These posts are funny to me. We were one of the youngest teams in the league last year. The majority of these younger players will be improved this year. Whereas many of the more competetive teams in the league are stacked full of veterans, who will tail off as the years progress ...
    In previous my post I acknowledge that we are a young team. Right now we are just getting younger. Who do we have to help develop the younger players? As I stated before you should get established vets, and draft younger players for depth so they can develop and FILL the spots of the vets when they need to leave. I know that the replacement doesn't always workout, but in most cases it only leaves 1 or 2 holes to fill instead of a whole roster. Look at the Steelers or the Patriots for example a down year for them is 9-7 or 8-8. Teams that build through the draft or FA only tend to not be successful if they are it's only for a short window.

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    Sure, we were 1-15, but seven, yes SEVEN, game we lost we had a chance to win in the final possession.
    Bottom line is we were 1-15. Last time I checked there are 3 columns W-L-T. So until they have a columns for MORAL victories or CLOSE losses who cares? Herm Edwards said it best, "We play to win the game." This actually validates my point even further by the way. If we are so close to being at least an 8-8 team, why not bring in some vets to help us win those close games? Do you think getting younger is putting us in a better position to win them?
    Last edited by svh01; -04-24-2010 at 02:41 PM.

I understand your sentiment but did you honestly expect the Whiners and Squawks to take Punters with their 2 1st round picks?

These teams (including the Rams) are improving and fast. I honestly think the NFC West is going to be as competitive as the NFC East. I'd rather us beat divisional rivals who are challenging opponents than win the West with ease and play awfully against real playoff teams. Face it: The Rams need to earn respect with not only the division but with the league.

As far as progress goes, I've said this before, it's going to be exciting to see who steps up on the team; who becomes a leader. We are young, the only way we can go is up.

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    I understand your sentiment but did you honestly expect the Whiners and Squawks to take Punters with their 2 1st round picks?

Hey, a man can dream can't he!!!

Though it's hard to tell I actually share you enthusiasm to on a certain level. I want us to put a good product on the field. I want to see our young players do well. I still feel we need to have a mix of good vets and young players. The approach we are taking right now, I haven't seen work in the league before. I hope that Devaney proves me wrong. I would love nothing more than to eat crow about our direction. At the end of the day regardless of what happens I will still be a loyal fan.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

It's a little early for hindsight if you ask me. It's like passing something on the road--there's a blind spot before you can see it in the rear view mirror. Until we see how well Clausen plays, it won't be clear whether we could have gotten Suh and a star quarterback. Right now all we know is that we could have gotten a guy that a bunch of other quarterback-starved teams also passed on, in some cases more than once.

helorm341 is offline Registered User

But Bradford was far and away the top rated QB in this draft, if you were talking abotu cornerbacks or something then OK, but quarterbacks? You really want to throw away quality for value? You think any Colts fans are sorry they took Payton Manning instead of getting the best non-QB and then grabbing the best QB left in the second??

Hey, a man can dream can't he!!!

Though it's hard to tell I actually share you enthusiasm to on a certain level. I want us to put a good product on the field. I want to see our young players do well. I still feel we need to have a mix of good vets and young players. The approach we are taking right now, I haven't seen work in the league before. I hope that Devaney proves me wrong. I would love nothing more than to eat crow about our direction. At the end of the day regardless of what happens I will still be a loyal fan.
    I hear you brother. I thought we'd see trades and get more picks but I haven't felt good about the front office until Devaney came in so I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. Nonetheless I felt this was a productive draft; we filled quite a few holes. I think our defense is better than people thought (and now with the draft, there's even more depth and talent). They were on the field more than the offense, and as a result we obviously suffered from it, not to mention the offense didn't help them keep us in games either. I think we got an underrated receiver in Gilyard and Saffold was a 1st round talent. With these additions, including Bradford, obviously, the offense will be on the field more and the D will be able to rest.

Not a good comparsion. Manning and Leaf were in the same position as Suh and McCoy so it made since to take him since was viewed as the BPA. It would have been more like they picked up instead Charles Woodson because they needed a DB as well when draft was deep on DB's. We should have taken the BPA because we have a lot of holes. The separation between the QB's was not as wide as the separation at DT. Regardless of position it seemed to be Suh, McCoy, Berry then everyone else.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast