AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Hiring of Linehan Shows Both Reverence and Scorn for Martz

Listening to Scott Linehan and reviewing his resume, its hard to avoid the obvious similarities to Mike Martz. Somewhat soft spoken, but aggressive in approach; premium on offense; intellectual, rather than "in your face" tough; a teacher.

In a way, the fact that the Rams hired Linehan affirms that the team wants a lot of what Martz brought to the Rams to continue. They could have gone in a completely different direction - choosing a defensive guru or ball control coach, but they didn't. In a way, its a testament to the positives Martz supplied.

At the same time, it begs the question: if you are going to hire a similar coach, why change at all.

Apparently, the Rams perceive in Linehan the absence of Martz's negative qualities. Perhaps Linehan is viewed as being a bit more grounded, having better people skills, or lacking the tunnel vision that Martz seemed to have at times.

In the end, it seems that the Rams' Front Office does not necessarily want the Greatest Show on Turf to fold its tents... only that it have a new Ring Leader.

Welcome back my friends... to the show that never ends.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Re: Hiring of Linehan Shows Both Reverence and Scorn for Martz

Apparently, the Rams perceive in Linehan the absence of Martz's negative qualities. Perhaps Linehan is viewed as being a bit more grounded, having better people skills, or lacking the tunnel vision that Martz seemed to have at times.
    I think you hit the target on this. Perhaps he is more open minded and willing to change to improve the team.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

viper is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    Welcome back my friends... to the show that never ends.
    Emerson, Lake and Palmer! Nice.

Certainly there are similarities with Martz. I'm glad that we'll still have some excitement on the offense. It has become ingrained in the teams personality. It is the differences that will make this team stronger IMHO.

Go Rams!!

majorram is offline Registered User

I agree Viper3 and reading some of the comments of the players there 'pleased' that Linehan still has that aggressive approach on O...

steve:clanram:
    "The breakfast Club"

StRams is offline Registered User

Quote:
    I think you hit the target on this. Perhaps he is more open minded and willing to change to improve the team.

He said it in his press conference "We will attack the defense aggresively with what they give us."

This says to me that he plans on being aggressive with the O but willing to change strategy depending on what the opposition is throwing at us.
    "
    Martz often times failed to adjust..the "damned manuvering...Straight at em!" approach of Nelson was often times his mantra...and It cost us at times.

AJD45 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    In the end, it seems that the Rams' Front Office does not necessarily want the Greatest Show on Turf to fold its tents... only that it have a new Ring Leader.
    Yep, well put... They pretty much wanted a Martz on offense but who could bring a little more running, discipline, toughness, and defense. I think it was a great choice.

Rambos is offline Registered User

I think in the end the Rams realized we still have one of the best offensive personnel in the league, and still wanted Martz’s offense just without Martz. Martz was his worst enemy, his ego got the best of him. If Martz hired a quality DC to replace Lovie, instead of an old buddy, who knows he still might have the job.

rampete is offline Registered User

you can teach a dog to walk on its hind legs and bark a human syllable...but it's still just a dog...

i see the FO replacing a figure-head and not addressing the real problem at rams park...it being a alpha male ritual between zygmunt and anyone who crosses his path...

i feel a slight reservation in congradulating the hiring of linehan because he's being put into the same shark tank that took a chunk off martz...and the shark, by its nature, is indifferent to who may cross its path...

viper is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by majorram
    I agree Viper3 and reading some of the comments of the players there 'pleased' that Linehan still has that aggressive approach on O...

steve:clanram:
    Yes, that was most encouraging.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Pleased with the hiring of Linehan (and the reference to P O'Brian by StRams, great books if you've never read them) given the choices that were available in the short list. Heard lot's of good things about him.

I also like AV's point about the whole reason they got rid of Martz, i.e he wan't a bad coach he just didn't like Ziggy or some of the other inhabitants of Rams park and the feeling was mutual.

It all points to a lack of firm direction and fundamental problems that won't disappear with the selection of a new HC.

Welcome Mr Linehan!

I fervently hope you outlast SHAWGMUNT.