Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: A History Lesson on a Most Hated Phrase

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

A History Lesson on a Most Hated Phrase

Alright listen up all you negative nancies and practicioners of douchebaggery (that was for you Bar-bq ), it's time for a lesson on why I, and many fans like me, DETEST the usage of the phrase, "same old sorry ass Rams" or any variation of it. It is a phrase that should NEVER under any circumstances be uttered by any Rams fan. Call them a steaming pile of crap, the most worthless pieces of trash on the planet, call them whatever you want, but remove that phrase from your vocabulary.

So where did it come from? Let's go back in time a bit. In 1989 the Rams lost to the whiners 30-3 in the NFC champioship game. They were still heavy favorites to make a return trip to the Superbowl the next year, but ended up with a highly disappointing 5-11 record. Over the next 4 years the Rams combined record was a dismal 18-46, and they leave Los Angeles a demoralized team.

It's now October 22, 1995, and the St Louis Rams are 5-1, with their only loss coming against the Colts in a close 21-18 loss in Indianapolis. They are at home playing the much hated niners. The niners win 44-10 in a devasating fashion. After the game Isaac Bruce hears niner DT Dana Stubblefield use the phrase "Same old Rams" when talking to the cameras of NFL Films (BTW Stubblefield now denies it was him, but that safety Tim Mcdonald said it.) DE Tim Harris, also of the niners, picked up on it and refers to them as, "The same old sorry as Rams" and the phrase is born. The Rams go on to lose 7 of their next 9 games, including a 41-13 loss to the niners. The phrase catches on immediately with the San Fran players, media, and fans and is used in some form almost everytime the Rams are mentioned. The Rams continue their downward slide for the next 3 years and are the losingest team of the decade. In that stretch they lost every game to the niners and the phrase was used time and time again by the niners players and fans. Living in niner country I heard that on an almost daily basis from some jerkoff niner fan who couldn't resist using his new favorite phrase.

So here we have a phrase coined by our most hated rival that is being used by everybody to describe our team. NFL players use it, the media uses it, and of course all their arrogant d-bag fans use it. It's a phrase that made Isaac Bruce, and other Rams players, HATE the niners even more than before. (Just shows you how pissed he was at the Rams to go play for them.)

So how do you think a Ram fan is going to react when some moronic Rams fan uses that phrase? It brings up a LOT of bad memories and harsh feelings to hear anyone use that phrase, even more so when one of our alleged own use it. When Marshall Faulk, our own blood, used that phrase last year on the NFL network to describe the Rams play, he lost me as a fan forever. That's how enraging that phrase is to some of us that remember it's origin and usage on a daily basis.

So why do I go to the lengths to recount all of that? So the boneheaded Rams fans, that probably jumped on the band wagon on or after 1999 when we were winning, that insist on using that phrase will understand where it came from and stop using it.

No one, and I mean NO ONE who considers themselves to be a Rams fan should EVER utter that wretched phrase again, cause it pisses a lot of us off, and it should you too.
    Last edited by RamFan_Til_I_Die; -10-16-2010 at 12:09 AM.
    AvengerRam and Rambos like this.

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

Re: A History Lesson on a Most Hated Phrase

If you read the post above, then you realize why it pisses me off to hear the phrase. Strike it from your vocabulary.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

1980RAMS is offline Registered User

I agree with the Post.

GO RAMS

Dwight Frye is offline Registered User

Didn't Ken Norton jr. also use it on tv? I could've sworn ....

Yes, the newer fans won't remember but the ****/Rams was ALWAYS the huge rivalry in the old NFC West. Can't remember think it was Youngblood who told the story of how they used to get to the Coliseum early on gameday to get dressed and taped then go out and sit on the bench so when the **** bus pulled up they'd have to walk right past them to get to the visitor lockerroom ... which, I believe I heard was painted pink for awhile?
    If a team won their division seven straight times, that would be a NFL record. Now add on that team did it with seven different QB's in seven straight years,that record is unbeatable. To do that feat, you must of had a great Defense. Jack Youngblood was the captain of that defense.

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Frye View Post
    Didn't Ken Norton jr. also use it on tv? I could've sworn ....
    Yep him any several others. Steve Young still uses that phrase on a regular basis when discussing the Rams on ESPN.

Trevor is offline Registered User

Same ole sorry ass fans who keep using this phrase, real fans support their team, not continually bash it and point out the flaws time and time again. I have not once ever used the phrase and I will support the rams even if we go 2-14 for the next 10 years. Bandwagoners, do we have any? Need to find another team to bash.

Canadian Rams Fan is offline Registered User

What was great is when the Rams made the ****** eat those words in 99. If I remember correctly.

On the bright side ****** fans, players and coaches do not have much to chear about right now.

Go Rams 2010

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamFan_Til_I_Die View Post
    No one, and I mean NO ONE who considers themselves to be a Rams fan should EVER utter that wretched phrase again, cause it pisses a lot of us off, and it should you too.
    Hi, I am ClanRam regular Goldenfleece, and I approve this message.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Nice post Josh. This phrase was a deliberate attempt by whiners players to demoralize, mock, humiliate and rub salt in the wounds of a downtrodden Rams team. Even the way they said it, in a laughing, taunting manner was a slap in the face.

I agree with the premiss that it should never be used in any way, shape or form by a Rams fan. Doing so only helps give it continued life.

Man I hate the whiners, with a passion. Seeing them at 0-5 is a wonderful thing.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

I guess the best way to avoid being called that, or any variation of it, is to win.

Problem solved.
    ramsanddodgers likes this.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by RamFan_Til_I_Die View Post
    Alright listen up all you negative nancies and practicioners of douchebaggery (that was for you Bar-bq ), it's time for a lesson on why I, and many fans like me, DETEST the usage of the phrase, "same old sorry ass Rams" or any variation of it. It is a phrase that should NEVER under any circumstances be uttered by any Rams fan. Call them a steaming pile of crap, the most worthless pieces of trash on the planet, call them whatever you want, but remove that phrase from your vocabulary.
    My reputation points are a lot like herpes. Only insomuch as I need to spread them around before I can give them to you again, but you can rest assured that you'll be receiving some (reputation points ) in the near future.

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    My reputation points are a lot like herpes. Only insomuch as I need to spread them around before I can give them to you again, but you can rest assured that you'll be receiving some (reputation points ) in the near future.
    Umm, BBQ, I would not know anything about former, but the latter is true. I'll have to take your word on the former.
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

abram86 is offline Registered User

I'm a rams fan til I die, no matter if they go 0-16 for 20 yrs strait, lol

MoonJoe is online now Ram MVP

Same O'l cheating niners!
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

MACD is offline Registered User

This is a DIFFERENT Ram, baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast