Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: A History Lesson on a Most Hated Phrase

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP
    I think someone needs to get a life.
    UK Ramfan 83 likes this.

"the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: A History Lesson on a Most Hated Phrase

Quote Originally Posted by VegasRam View Post
    I think someone needs to get a life.
    Agreed. And hopefully while they're getting their life they stop using the phrase SOSAR.
    ZiaRam likes this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

For anyone to be angered over a stupid, juvenile phrase like 'same old sorry ass Rams" is completely ridiculous. Who cares where the exact phrase originated? And what fan of ANY sports team in America hasn't verbally blasted their team for bad play and ineptitude? What fan of any team who has been terrible over the years- the Rams, the Cubs, the Pirates, the Clippers, the Royals, etc... hasn't expressed similar sentiments out of frustration towards their inability as a fan to taste winning consistently? Whatever happened to 'sticks and stones...?" I'm sorry, but this isn't something that bothers me. What DOES bother me a helluva lot more is that this team hasn't tasted a winning season in 8 years and has had only about 6 winning seasons since 1990. THAT'S what should bother Rams fans- not some idiot opposing player or some frustrated fan uttering an unflattering phrase.

I myself have never used this phrase to describe the Rams, but i can tell you I've uttered similar sentiment and have been plenty pissed over the years with countless Sundays ruined. I've said this many times: Respect is earned. If you want an opponent to respect you, you play hard and you prove yourself competent. When you lose to a team 12 times in a row (as the Rams did to SF), you're gonna' get derisive comments from some players, like it or not. If you want fans to respect your efforts, play competitive, fundamentally sound football or even diehards will let frustration boil over.

I'm happy with many of the moves made by the Rams in the offesason in the hopes of reversing this trend. But until that actually happens, skepticism & negativity are going to occasionally rear their ugly head because we've gone down this road before.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

For anyone to be angered over a stupid, juvenile phrase like 'same old sorry ass Rams" is completely ridiculous.
    It would be ridiculous if one were "angry". But that's not the word that describes the sentiments here.

Disgust, repulsion, abhorrence, revulsion, nausea, repugnance, antipathy........these are the terms that best decsribe a Rams fan's view of SOSAR.
    Who cares where the exact phrase originated?
    No one who would use the phrase; that's for sure.
    And what fan of ANY sports team in America hasn't verbally blasted their team for bad play and ineptitude?
    Yes. What fan, indeed?
    I myself have never used this phrase to describe the Rams, but i can tell you I've uttered similar sentiment.
    Impossible. There is no sentiment that's similar to SOSAR.
    Respect is earned.
    As is self-respect.
    Last edited by HUbison; -08-16-2012 at 09:01 AM.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    I find it funny how some fans will fight so hard for their right to express their negativity however they see fit, and then whine so loudly when other people exercise their right to respond.
    UK Ramfan 83 likes this.

macrammer is offline Registered User

Alpha, where are you
    r8rh8rmike likes this.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    For anyone to be angered over a stupid, juvenile phrase like 'same old sorry ass Rams" is completely ridiculous.
    I would say that joining forces with whiner's fans in using a phrase that intends to demean and humiliate the Rams is ridiculous.

Rambos is offline Registered User

As a long time fan of the Rams and sitting in Anaheim out numbered by whiners fans 4-1, I get that it's more then just a silly phrase coming from fans. It does piss me off when Steve Young uses it.

When you lose to a team 12 times in a row (as the Rams did to SF)
    It was seventeen by the way.
    UK Ramfan 83 likes this.

Maybe I should just start referring to certain people as members of the group, SOSAF.

Fettmaster is online now Registered User

You can get as uh, repulsed or nauseated as you want over the phrase. Words bother some people that much, all right. I understand what the phrase means. I just came up in a different time then some of you. I started watching the Rams in '99 after the losing streak ended. So except for last year, the whiners have been pretty futile since I've been watching football. So there's not much a whiner fan can say to me that upsets me. Apparently its different for some people, and I'm OK with that.

But what I have a problem with is when some fans question the fan-hood of others for using the phrase. Come on, no one has that right. Stan freakin' Kroenke doesn't have that right. Someone saying someone else isn't a true Rams fan for saying "SOSAR" holds about as much weight as me saying someone's not a true Rams fan unless they wear Rams tightey whiteys everyday. If you're a Rams fan, you're Rams fan, period.

Also, its some fan's sensitivity to "SOSAR" that gives the phrase its power, not where the phrase came from, or the meaning of it.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    As a long time fan of the Rams and sitting in Anaheim out numbered by whiners fans 4-1, I get that it's more then just a silly phrase coming from fans. It does piss me off when Steve Young uses it.

It was seventeen by the way.
    I too went to most Rams games in Anaheim (and LA) and I can say that it was never 4-1 in favor of Whiner fans, or any other teams fans. Ever. Even in the end when the owner-who-shall-not-be-named was preparing to move. It may have been 4-1 in a small section for those buying up last minute tickets, which is typical in any So. California stadium with all the transplants, but throughout the stadium, 4-1? Not hardly.

As far as the discussion within this thread about the use of the SOSAR phrase goes, all I can say is;

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Get over it already.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

Long live the SOSOFs!

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Long live the SOSOFs!
    Like I said; get over it already. SOSAM
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    As far as the discussion within this thread about the use of the SOSAR phrase goes, all I can say is;

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Get over it already.
    All I can say is, I'll never get over it, period. I think my reasons are clear enough. If people want to use it, I certainly can't stop them, but I won't respect them doing it either. That's just the way I see it.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Long live the SOSOFs!
    Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    Like I said; get over it already. SOSAM
    Here we go.

UK Ramfan 83 is offline Registered User

'In other news today it has been reported that the earth revolves around the sun . . . '

I hate the 'wieners' as much as the next rammer, but man, surely this team and its fans have more important things to worry about?!? Like a half decent offensive line for 2012?

And yes, I've been a fan since 83' so I know what the phrase means, and its irksome at worst just like any team taunt. But you should hear what I call the New England Patriots!

Besides when I travelled to St Louis in 2000 (GSOT) and watched the Rams blow out the wieners, some Rams fans were shouting "..same old 9'rs!!" The red and gold attired recipients replied angrily " . . .**** you!!"

T'was rather amusing. Shame the privilege only lasted 3 more years...

But yea, its petty history.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast