Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: A History Lesson on a Most Hated Phrase

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Re: A History Lesson on a Most Hated Phrase

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    For anyone to be angered over a stupid, juvenile phrase like 'same old sorry ass Rams" is completely ridiculous. Who cares where the exact phrase originated? And what fan of ANY sports team in America hasn't verbally blasted their team for bad play and ineptitude? What fan of any team who has been terrible over the years- the Rams, the Cubs, the Pirates, the Clippers, the Royals, etc... hasn't expressed similar sentiments out of frustration towards their inability as a fan to taste winning consistently? Whatever happened to 'sticks and stones...?" I'm sorry, but this isn't something that bothers me. What DOES bother me a helluva lot more is that this team hasn't tasted a winning season in 8 years and has had only about 6 winning seasons since 1990. THAT'S what should bother Rams fans- not some idiot opposing player or some frustrated fan uttering an unflattering phrase.

I myself have never used this phrase to describe the Rams, but i can tell you I've uttered similar sentiment and have been plenty pissed over the years with countless Sundays ruined. I've said this many times: Respect is earned. If you want an opponent to respect you, you play hard and you prove yourself competent. When you lose to a team 12 times in a row (as the Rams did to SF), you're gonna' get derisive comments from some players, like it or not. If you want fans to respect your efforts, play competitive, fundamentally sound football or even diehards will let frustration boil over.

I'm happy with many of the moves made by the Rams in the offesason in the hopes of reversing this trend. But until that actually happens, skepticism & negativity are going to occasionally rear their ugly head because we've gone down this road before.
    So if I called your mom a wh*re, it'd be ridiculous for you to get upset right?

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

I still say righteous anger over a 17 year old phrase uttered by a random SF player who has long since been out of the league is beyond over the top. Being mad at the time it was said- and maybe for a period of time afterwards is certainly undestandable. But NOW? Get over it.

History shows us fans do many things to show their displeasure over their team's performance. Rams fans used to wear shirts that said "LA Lambs" back in the day when we stunk. The infamous Saints fans who wore bags over their heads that said "Aint's" as they suffered loss after loss came out in droves. I guess they weren't true fans. I would hardly think a Rams fan who uttered this "sacreligious" phrase out of frustration qualifies as someone who doesnt care about the team.

Wanna' TRULY be mad? Try sitting in the hostile confines of the Meadowlands as the Rams lay down like dogs, 47-3 to the Jets three years ago. I'd rather hear the phrase "SOSAR" a billion times than sit through that again. Wanna' be upset at something? Try focusing your anger on the countless bad decisions, unfulfilled dreams, crushed hopes and bad football we've been a part of over the last 8 seasons in particular, and well beyond that. A five word phrase? Come on.

As someone stated earlier: Winning solves all ills.
    live4ramin likes this.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by RamFan_Til_I_Die View Post

"Is she?"

If you can't see the difference between a 17 year old phrase uttered by an opposing player towards a football team and a vile, personal insult then you're a fool not befitting your 62 rep points.

If you can't see the difference between a 17 year old phrase uttered by an opposing player towards a football team and a vile, personal insult then you're a fool not befitting your 62 rep points.
    While I agree that the analogy was a bit extreme, I have to ask you this:

Why do you work so hard to NOT get along with other Rams fans? Is it more important to you that you maintain the "right" to use an idiotic term like "SOSAR" than it is to have even the slightest degree of camaraderie with other members of a group you claim to be associated with?

Seems to me that the diplomatic thing would be for you to just drop the term out of respect for your fellow Rams fans. But hey, if its more important to prove that "NOBODY CAN TELL ME WHAT TO SAY AND WHAT NOT TO SAY," then don't be shocked when other people react in a negative manner.

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

If you can't see that many Rams fans view the sosar phrase as a vile, personal insult, then you're not befitting of your 62 IQ points.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    While I agree that the analogy was a bit extreme, I have to ask you this:

Why do you work so hard to NOT get along with other Rams fans? Is it more important to you that you maintain the "right" to use an idiotic term like "SOSAR" than it is to have even the slightest degree of camaraderie with other members of a group you claim to be associated with?

Seems to me that the diplomatic thing would be for you to just drop the term out of respect for your fellow Rams fans. But hey, if its more important to prove that "NOBODY CAN TELL ME WHAT TO SAY AND WHAT NOT TO SAY," then don't be shocked when other people react in a negative manner.
    And I'm tired of you jumping on my posts with your "holier than thou", "all knowing" attitude. I guarantee you I have been a fan of this football team for as long as you or anyone else of comparable age on this forum. I've vested countless hours, money and energy on the Rams. But I am not gonna' run with the masses on this forum just to win rep points or somebody's approval. PLENTY of people have agreed with much I've said over the years, so spare me your "Cameraderie" crap. I'm going to call it as I see it. if that means being negative (for which the Rams have provided plenty of opportunity over the years), than so be it. If our fortunes change, I will be positive.

It's also equally obvious you don't read entire posts- just snippets of what you'd like to be critical towards. I very clearly stated that I myself have NEVER used this term (I guess you missed that), only that it is stupid and mindless to still be bothered by a string of words uttered by a player on an opposing team 17 years ago. WORDS!! I can promise you the '95 Rams have gotten over it.
    Last edited by NJ Ramsfan1; -08-16-2012 at 04:47 PM.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

it is stupid and mindless to still be bothered by a string of words uttered by a player on an opposing team 17 years ago
    Stupid and mindless? Really?

If you can't see that many Rams fans view the sosar phrase as a vile, personal insult, then you're not befitting of your 62 IQ points.
    Jesus. "Somebody made fun of my football team. WHAAAAAAAAAAA!!" What are we, 6 years old?

And when the Rams play better and show they're a winning, quality organization, you'll hear more positive comments from opponents and fans alike. Pretty simple.
    UK Ramfan 83 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Stupid and mindless? Really?
    I believe it is. You're one of the guys I respect here, r8rh8r, but I have a hard time believing a negative phrase uttered 17 years ago bothers you. I mean, let's be honest: the Rams' futility over the years is the cause of such sentiment. Hopefully, our fortunes are beginning to change, but I just think being hung up on this phrase is a waste of energy. Whatever happened to "sticks and stones?"

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    I too went to most Rams games in Anaheim (and LA) and I can say that it was never 4-1 in favor of Whiner fans, or any other teams fans. Ever. Even in the end when the owner-who-shall-not-be-named was preparing to move. It may have been 4-1 in a small section for those buying up last minute tickets, which is typical in any So. California stadium with all the transplants, but throughout the stadium, 4-1? Not hardly.
    I'm going to have to disagree with you on the end days at the big A... it was empty and the 9ers where in there hey day and came down in droves.

4-1 maybe a stretch but you can't tell me the 9ers fans did not have a huge presents in the stadium.

But attendance figures for all eight major-league teams in Los Angeles and nearby Anaheim during their most recent seasons suggest a remarkable fan apathy. Of the eight, only two -- the Dodgers and hockey's Mighty Ducks -- exceeded league averages for per-game attendance.

Most weren't close: The Rams and NBA's Clippers were one-third below their respective league marks, and the Angels ,, were off 25 percent. A short-term blip? Rams attendance was off 30 percent from 1990 to 1995. Angels attendance has been in decline since 1989. And even the Dodgers are well below their historic highs.
    Last edited by Rambos; -08-16-2012 at 05:06 PM.

And I'm tired of you jumping on my posts with your "holier than thou", "all knowing" attitude. I guarantee you I have been a fan of this football team for as long as you or anyone else of comparable age on this forum. I've vested countless hours, money and energy on the Rams. But I am not gonna' run with the masses on this forum just to win rep points or somebody's approval. PLENTY of people have agreed with much I've said over the years, so spare me your "Cameraderie" crap. I'm going to call it as I see it. if that means being negative (for which the Rams have provided plenty of opportunity over the years), than so be it. If our fortunes change, I will be positive.

It's also equally obvious you don't read entire posts- just snippets of what you'd like to be critical towards. I very clearly stated that I myself have NEVER used this term (I guess you missed that), only that it is stupid and mindless to still be bothered by a string of words uttered by a player on an opposing team 17 years ago. WORDS!! I can promise you the '95 Rams have gotten over it.
    Well, I'm glad to see you're not getting mad or anything.

I don't particularly care if you used the term, or support those who use the term. Same thing, as far as I'm concerned.

As I've said before... be as negative as you like, but don't whine about the consequences.

Maybe if I lived in California and was subjected to droves of other fans coming into our home stadium I'd see things differently regarding the "whiners" and any comments their fans/players made, but I do not share that perspective.
    Rambos likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Well, I'm glad to see you're not getting mad or anything.

I don't particularly care if you used the term, or support those who use the term. Same thing, as far as I'm concerned.

As I've said before... be as negative as you like, but don't whine about the consequences.

Point taken, Av. The ironic thing is that I think the term itself is juvenile and immature, which is all the more reason I'm not particularly bothered by it.

Maybe if I lived in California and was subjected to droves of other fans coming into our home stadium I'd see things differently regarding the "whiners" and any comments their fans/players made, but I do not share that perspective.
    Nor do you show any respect for those who have that perspective.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast