Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: A History Lesson on a Most Hated Phrase

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: A History Lesson on a Most Hated Phrase

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    I believe it is. You're one of the guys I respect here, r8rh8r, but I have a hard time believing a negative phrase uttered 17 years ago bothers you. I mean, let's be honest: the Rams' futility over the years is the cause of such sentiment. Hopefully, our fortunes are beginning to change, but I just think being hung up on this phrase is a waste of energy. Whatever happened to "sticks and stones?"
    As I've stated before, it bothers me because it's a WHINERS phrase. It's what THEY say to show mocking disdain towards the Rams, and I'll never understand why any Rams fan would want to mimic it. I have no problem with people voicing frustration, but using a hated enemies very own catch phrase does bother me. From what I've heard, Steve Young still uses it regularly, and countless whiners fans use it every chance they get. Yes it was uttered 17 years ago, but it still has a prominant place in the whiners culture to this day.

For me, it's just not sticks and stones, it's a representation of why I hate the whiners and their fans.
    Rambos and Tampa_Ram like this.

Rambos is online now Registered User

I have the same take as Mike. It's not the phrase, it's where in came from. I don't care if any Ram fan blast the Rams for what they done over the last decade it's well deserved. Use any phrase, a bag on your head, curse words whatever makes you feel better. If you use that phrase it's like you're with the whiner fans. If a Rams fan had that on a sign on a Monday night and that was the first time it was used, then fine use it... but it came from the number one hated team the whiners.

That being said Rams fan are free to do what they like... my brother is a long time Ram fan and last year he laid a big bet against his team, I would never do that, ever!

By the way the game he bet on against the Rams was the Saints game!!! I loved it!!!
    Last edited by Rambos; -08-16-2012 at 06:55 PM.
    Tampa_Ram likes this.

UK Ramfan 83 is offline Registered User

Week 1 Rams at Detroit cannot come quick enough . . .

Maybe its a culture thing I'm not getting here.

If it isn't a slur about someones heritage, creed, colour, gender, disability, et al then this really should be a non issue in the great scheme of things.

Man you should hear what gets chanted/threatened/carried out at an English football match on a Saturday afternoon. People have been literally killed for simply going to watch a game of football and wearing a different coloured shirt. At least NFL fans from both sides can sit together in the same stadium without the threat of serious public disorder and crime.

Besides, many here call the patriots 'The Cheatriots' & 'Bill Bellicheat' I'd say (if we're going to play this game) that's a worse slur than being labelled as a sorry azz'd losing team. I'd rather lose a ton than be labelled a cheat. Still, their fans and organisation get to put up with that all the time, and claim that they're not.

Can we say we genuinely weren't a sorry state from 1990 to 1998/99??

However, I do have a vague sympathy with the Anahiem crowd and do see where they are coming from to some small degree. This is probably much more of an issue for them than most of us who weren't there and reminds them of an unpleasant period as a fan.

But from my subjective standpoint, words such as 'vile' and 'hate' to describe this seem extreme. To me those words are reserved for sex offenders and preachers of hate.

Steve Young btw, is from that era and will always be a 9'r. It speaks volumes to all that (if) he continues to use the phrase what a berk he is coming across as.

Peace (Orlando) out . . .
    Last edited by UK Ramfan 83; -08-16-2012 at 06:14 PM.
    Curly Horns likes this.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Like I said, referring to the Rams as SOSAR and simply being negative about the Rams are two very different things.

Saying the Rams suck is being negative. That's no big deal.

Saying the Rams suck while wearing a whiners jersey.......that's a whole different level of negative. And that's the equivalent of referring to the Rams as SOSAR.

You want to throw around the SOSAR term? That's your right. But do so in whiners jersey, so that you get the full effect.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

macrammer is online now Registered User

Boys...really. It is just a game. I for one would never use the phrase but if you did.... but had proven to be a loyal ram fan, then hey, your choice. I live in the middle of Whiner country and it used to bother me to take crap from those guy's. After some pretty hefty life experiences, I am not so quick to care as I know there are truly more important things in life. Really. So, from my perspective, if someone of Ram Nation mutters those words, who am I to judge?

BTW, did not hear those words from1999-2004.
    Fettmaster likes this.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Do Patriots fans call the team Cheatriots when they lose? Do the fans call them the whiners when the ***** suck? I doubt it. I know the rams have sucked a lot over the last 5 years, and if you wanna go the SOSAR route thats your choice, i wont agree with it but im not gonna hate you for it.

Bottom line is the rams have been the worst team of all time over a 5 year stretch. it sucks big time. And there have been times when SOSAR has made its way to my throat, but never to my tongue. But at this point i can see why some would say it. I will never do it, and i may not like it when someone does, but after the way we've been playing for 5 years i can understand it.

My biggest problem with it right now is people saying it after the first game of the preseason. Blow off steam, yell, curse, bash them all you want, but at least wait till after the first regular season game to go that route. It's only presesaon. Wait till it actually counts before you go the absolute extreme.

Thats just my opinion.

GO RAMS!!!
    Fettmaster and ZiaRam like this.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

For me, this is one of the most perplexing issues I have seen debated here. I really have a hard time with the extreme hatred on one side of this issue. It seems to me to be deep rooted and extreme. And it is kind of mind boggling how it is shared by numerous fans. Some, have not even been Rams fans before the team played in St. Louis. Yet the same extreme deep rooted hate seems to be shared.

What bothers me most is the inept management of this team over the years. Where is the hatred for that? Why do we seemingly let that slide? Is inept management not the underlying reason for all the losing? And isn't the losing the underlying cause for all the pain and hatred?
    Fargo Ram Fan likes this.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Tampa_Ram View Post
    Do Patriots fans call the team Cheatriots when they lose? Do the fans call them the whiners when the ***** suck? I doubt it. I know the rams have sucked a lot over the last 5 years, and if you wanna go the SOSAR route thats your choice, i wont agree with it but im not gonna hate you for it.

Bottom line is the rams have been the worst team of all time over a 5 year stretch. it sucks big time. And there have been times when SOSAR has made its way to my throat, but never to my tongue. But at this point i can see why some would say it. I will never do it, and i may not like it when someone does, but after the way we've been playing for 5 years i can understand it.

My biggest problem with it right now is people saying it after the first game of the preseason. Blow off steam, yell, curse, bash them all you want, but at least wait till after the first regular season game to go that route. It's only presesaon. Wait till it actually counts before you go the absolute extreme.

Thats just my opinion.

GO RAMS!!!
    wOW, THAT HAS TO BE THE BEST POST IN THIS WHOLE THREAD! and not only because I think he is a jerkface! lol
    Nice post broski!
    p.s. to say after A Single preseason game is warranted bailing out on them for the season? Someone needs a bar of soap in their mouth!

p.s.s. LOL this makes me laugh to read since it was the first thread I think I ever posted in and Hubison helped me! <3 ya HUb lol
    Tampa_Ram likes this.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter View Post
    What bothers me most is the inept management of this team over the years. Where is the hatred for that? Why do we seemingly let that slide? Is inept management not the underlying reason for all the losing? And isn't the losing the underlying cause for all the pain and hatred?
    But don't we have a new owner, new GM and new Head Coach? They're not part of the regime you hate, so they should not be burdened with that legacy.
    Tampa_Ram likes this.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

What I don't get is why people care enough about the Niners to hate them. Or hate any team in fact. It's just football. The Niners are just a football team, they didn't sleep with your wife, or kill your parents.

However, what I have gathered from this topic is that some people are really, really against the phrase "Same old sorry ass Rams". They hate it's use, and hate it being used by Rams fans because its associated with the Niners.
    Well if you carry on feeling this way over a phrase, you only let yourself be more hurt by it when it is used. You only make the ammunition more powerful.

As far as I'm concerned we should use the phrase "Same old sorry ass Rams". We should use it whenever we can. Because then it's not a phrase that the Niner fans use to offend us, it's a phrase that Niner fans use to try to offend us, but end up failing miserably. It's just words people!! And quite frankly, the Rams have been pretty sorry over the past few years.

And rather than fearing the phrase, and hating it's use, wouldn't it be great to sit in the Edward Jones Dome, watch the Rams thrash the Niners, and then turn to a Niners fan, shrug and say "same old sorry ass Rams!"
    Fargo Ram Fan and live4ramin like this.

UK Ramfan 83 is offline Registered User

It was funny and ironic when rams fans shouted " . . SAAAAAAME OL' NINEEERRSS!!!"
    after the game I was at.

The niner fan was with his missus' and he REALLY didn't like it at all. He cursed back at the crowd before realisng he was hideously outnumbered and his team had just been GSOT'd 42 - 24. (3rd loss in a row to the Rams)

The guys step certainly quickened as he approached the car park. LOL!

'Same old sorry ass niners'. . . . As I said earlier though, shame this privilege only lasted 2.5 more years.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    But don't we have a new owner, new GM and new Head Coach? They're not part of the regime you hate, so they should not be burdened with that legacy.
    Just to clarify a few things - I'm not the one that used the phrase to set off this recent renewal of hate. Also, my hate for past management is towards their inept handling of the team and general disregard for the Fans, I do not hate them in personal terms.

I am not a deep rooted hater. This entire nonsense is deeply rooted in hate. It's all about hate and jealousy turned to hate. I'm trying to understand it all, but I guess I simply do not have the same hate rooted perspective.

Another thing (going back to the oringinal post) the writer makes claim that Isaac Bruce and other Rams players are now vested in the same hatred towards the whiners that he feels. Personally, I think that is a ridiculous claim and I'd like to see some real evidence of that. He even tries to justify the claim by saying Isaac goes against his conviction of hate towards the whiners and signs with them because he is now pissed at the Rams. Really?

I think if one were to visit isaac bruce dot org they would discover that this man harbors no hate nor is he vested in claims made in the op.

You know, the more I think about it the more I realize that I do understand this. I guess I just did not want it to be so.

The official web site of Isaac Bruce and The Isaac Bruce Foundation
    Fargo Ram Fan likes this.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    What I don't get is why people care enough about the Niners to hate them. Or hate any team in fact. It's just football. The Niners are just a football team, they didn't sleep with your wife, or kill your parents.
    Come on tomahawk, let's not take this out of context. The "hate" involved here is in the sports sense, not the literal sense. The whiners are a bitter rival, and I'd be surprised if many on ClanRam don't hate them in that sports sense. And this "hate" is certainly not a Rams fan phenomenon. Do Red Sox fans hate the Yankees? Do Ohio State fans hate the Wolverines? Do Lakers fans hate the Celtics? Do Duke fans hate the Tarheels? I think you get the point.
    Rambos and cfin5256 like this.

live4ramin is offline Registered User

A lot of you guys that are so sensitive are the same ones who loved to go to others sites and talk smack. That was your thing - fine.

Seems like karma kinda took care of that. Karma will take care of this too.
    The break, don't bend offense.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by live4ramin View Post
    A lot of you guys that are so sensitive are the same ones who loved to go to others sites and talk smack. That was your thing - fine.

Seems like karma kinda took care of that. Karma will take care of this too.
    Not that I am much for "smack talk" of any kind, but I do think jawing with opposing fans and "smack talking" your own team are two entirely different things.
    r8rh8rmike likes this.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast