Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Barry Waller is offline Registered User

History Shows Jackson Situation Might Get Ugly

The “deadline” Steven Jackson faced, which really only applies if the owners end the CBA early in 2009 as some expect, has come and gone, and Jackson and his agent simply ignored it. This decision makes it clear that Jackson doesn't care about any edge the Rams may think they have in negotiations.

It also makes it clear that this holdout could actually threaten the Rams upcoming season, since the team has no really capable alternative to Jackson. It's obvious Jackson knows this, so now it will up to

Jay Zygmunt to either start talking with Jackson not in camp, or face the risk that Jackson doesn't care enough about the team to back off his demand to be the top paid back in the NFL.

A look at the history of Jackson's agent, Eugene Parker, doesn't make for much optimism. Right now, in addition to Jackson, Parker is also holding Buffalo tackle Jason Peters out of camp, and that holdout seems to be getting more bitter.

Will these new holdouts get to the point that Parker took some past ones? Hopefully not.

Emmit Smith, a Parker client held out twice, missing all of camp as a rookie, then 64 days, two games into the regular season in 1993.

Tackle Walter Jones held out when Seattle slapped the franchise tag on him in 2002, and stayed for two months. He later got the top deal for a tackle anyway.

Parker client and tagged player Corey Simon help out on the Eagles, a couple years ago, but after 30 days, the Eagles cut him loose.

Rookies such as Cedric Benson (36 days), and RB Chris Perry (all of camp) and WR Larry Fitzgerald, also had difficult negotiations with teams. This year DT Sedrick Ellis, Parker's top rookie, is holding out and it doesn't appear a deal is close.

The situation right now with Jackson is very similar to that of the Steelers Hines Ward in 2005. The always hard negotiating Steelers refused to discuss a deal with Parker until Ward reported to camp, like the Rams have this year. After 17 days, Ward himself told his agent to “get it done” and reported, and a deal was quickly finalized.

Because of Ward's attitude, the deal was done and the Steelers came out of nowhere, and won it all that season.

Will Jackson make the same decision this year, or follow Emmit Smith's example of 1993. That season, Smith was still a stud, established with the team and the fans as a superstar and winner, and the talented Cowboys won it all, but Smith was not near as good as he was in 1992 or 1994, when he averaged over 20 scores per season. In 1993, games missed and the time to get back in shape took their toll on Smith, who finished with just 10 scores.

Steven Jackson has not exactly been the fan's favorite Ram, and will never pass Marshall Faulk and Eric Dickerson in the hearts of Rams fandom, but this may be the beginning of the end for him in St. Louis if he doesn't follow Ward's example, or Jay Zygmunt doesn't blink first.

It seems that the fans and Jackson's teammates an coaches suffer most if one of those things doesn't happen. If a first two month schedule from hell doesn't doom the Rams enough, the lack of their top weapon for that run of games, or even a late arriving Jackson taking a while to get into the offense early certainly will. If Jackson tries to come back with the team 0-7, they may not exactly welcome him, and they would simply keep tagging him to keep him from leaving. It's a lose-lose situation for all.

Let's hope this present cold war doesn't heat up by a longer holdout, leading to a MAD (Mutually Assured Destruction) scenario.

Barry Waller

RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: History Shows Jackson Situation Might Get Ugly

***SIGH!***

general counsel is offline Registered User

I sure wish barry would stop by this board more often. His writing is terrific and brilliant in its insight.

At the end of the day, as i said a million times during the pace situations, this isnt about the agent, its about the player. This is up to jackson to decide what he wants to do. The agent can give him advice on how to maximize his money, but the player needs to make the decision as to how important reporting vs. not reporting is in the context of leverage and ultimately, how much money he will take. Said another way, its up to jackson to decide how far he will go to get the most money even if it hurts the team.

I continue to contend that the holdout hurts the rams by increasing the risk of injury to jackson, in part because i dont believe that he is anywhere near football shape and i dont think you make that up very quickly.

If he reports in the next few days it probably does no real harm, but i sure wont have that view a week from now when the season is three weeks away, let alone anything beyond that.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

moloch41 Guest

Like I was saying, these things normally don't end well. Most of these players never play the same afterwards. Plus, he's not coming into something he knows- it's an entirely different system- especially after playing in Linehan's "Football Made Simple" playbook for the past two seasons.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post
    Plus, he's not coming into something he knows- it's an entirely different system
    That's simply not accurate, though. Saunders' system is reportedly similar to Martz's offense, which Jackson spent two years playing in.

moloch41 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    That's simply not accurate, though. Saunders' system is reportedly similar to Martz's offense, which Jackson spent two years playing in.

Well, he really only played in it for one season as a starter and the verbage and other things will be different. He spent the last two seasons in something completely simplistic and now is going into a very complicated scheme. If you think that he can just walk in the day the season starts and just pick it up because he played in a similar system two years ago, I think you are mistaken.

Well, he really only played in it for one season as a starter
    You can try to minimize it as much as you want. The bottom line is he spent two years learning a system that by all accounts is quite similar to the one the Rams will be utilizing this season.

He also has the playbook, practiced in the system in OTAs, and has the daily practice schedules to keep up with what the team is doing. That gives him a leg up, the extent of which can be debated.

If you think that he can just walk in the day the season starts and just pick it up because he played in a similar system two years ago, I think you are mistaken.
    Good thing I didn't say that then.

Josh Guest

Great players are Great Players. S-Jax will be here. I predict by saturday afternoon.

moloch41 Guest

[quote=Nick;236611]You can try to minimize it as much as you want. The bottom line is he spent two years learning a system that by all accounts is quite similar to the one the Rams will be utilizing this season. [/;quote]

Well, you can try to minimize his absence as much as you want, but the truth is that every day he holds out is bad for him and the team. He's falling behind no matter how quickly you believe he will be able to pick up a new offense and is also increasing the chances that he will injure himself because he won't have the opportunity to slowly work himself into real game shape. I've seen several players say that they were studying the playbook all summer, but when they actually got to camp, it was completely different.

supachump is offline Registered User

Jackson didn't seem to be ready at the beginning of last year if I remember correctly. So why in the world would he be ready by the beginning of this year (assuming he plays the first game) not even being in camp??! I certainly have my doubts.

This hold out is hurting the team. I'm starting to really dislike this guy.

moloch41 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by supachump View Post
    Jackson didn't seem to be ready at the beginning of last year if I remember correctly. So why in the world would he be ready by the beginning of this year

Good point- I believe he fumbled twice in that game and that was probably due to LInehan's misguided perception that not playing starters at all during the preseason was a good idea. It took him several games to get going and he got hurt.

Well, you can try to minimize his absence as much as you want, but the truth is that every day he holds out is bad for him and the team.
    Well, I think what you're presenting is an opinion, not truth.

You think Jackson is hurting himself and the team with each day he holds out. I think the damage to this point has been minimal, as I don't think we've yet reached the point where Jackson's absence actually hurts his ability or the team's ability to be ready for the opening game.

If his holdout continues into the latter weeks of August, then I would be tempted to agree that he's reaching the point where he's hindering his ability to be ready. I'm not convinced he's there quite yet, though.

Good point- I believe he fumbled twice in that game and that was probably due to LInehan's misguided perception that not playing starters at all during the preseason was a good idea.
    Or maybe it was also in part because the Carolina Panthers were one of the best team's in the NFL last year at forcing fumbles?

Nah, it was all Jackson and Linehan's fault!

moloch41 Guest

Or maybe it was also in part because the Carolina Panthers were one of the best team's in the NFL last year at forcing fumbles?

Nah, it was all Jackson and Linehan's fault!
    Nah, you're right- he was in awesome game shape in the beginning of the year. And the offense was a well oiled machine coming out of the gates- they didn't need practice at all and they stayed incredibly healthy...

Nah, you're right- he was in awesome game shape in the beginning of the year. And the offense was a well oiled machine coming out of the gates- they didn't need practice at all and they stayed incredibly healthy...
    My apologies for trying to give the other team some credit for their play rather than just bashing on the Rams. Carry on.

moloch41 Guest

My apologies for trying to give the other team some credit for their play rather than just bashing on the Rams. Carry on.

I give them credit for showing up in shape and ready to play- something the Rams were not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast