RamWraith is offline Registered User

Hobbling Holt cobbling together a nice season

If Torry Holt repeats his first-half numbers, he’ll finish the season with 92 catches, 1,152 yards and eight touchdowns. Not bad for a 31-year-old wide receiver with a bum knee.

“I keep track of (the stats); that’s no secret,” Holt said, laughing. “People can look at it however they want to, but I am always aware of that. I have goals that I set for myself that helps our football team win ballgames. It’s nothing like a ‘hey, look at me’ type of deal.”

Holt had an operation on his right knee in the offseason, the second time the joint has undergone surgery. He’s had bouts and pain and swelling throughout the year.

“I’m still dealing with that,” he said. “I feel pretty good about where I am personally, but it really doesn’t matter at this point because we haven’t gotten a win yet. I’d rather have more wins, obviously, than to have more personal accolades. We’ll see. I’ll just keep plugging away at it and try to do what I can to help my ballclub get their first win.”

Rob Petitti, a free-agent signee Oct. 24, is the latest candidate for a starting spot on the Rams’ ever-evolving offensive line. Petitti, who has played tackle exclusively since his freshman training camp at Pitt, got some reps at right guard this week.

If Brett Romberg (ankle) can’t go Sunday in New Orleans, Petitti, Nick Leckey or a combination of the two figure to man that spot.

“Wherever they need me to play, I’ll try to go in there and do my best,” Petitti said. “I’ve never really played guard before. It’s a little different because things happen a little quicker. But I think I can do it. I think if you’re a lineman, you should pretty much be able to play anywhere.”

Notes & quotes:

>>RB Steven Jackson (back) made it through the week of practices without a problem. “He looks like himself,” coach Scott Linehan said. “We have to figure out what his number of plays is going to be (so he can) make it through four quarters.”

>>Here’s Jackson’s take: “I’m not going to try to overcompensate for my groin or back. Football is a vicious and violent game, but I’m just going to go out there and play like 39 always does.”

>>WR/KR Dante Hall was back at practice Friday. He had an excused absence Thursday so that he could deal with a personal matter out of town.

>>MLB Will Witherspoon has had double-digit tackle totals in three of the last four games.

>>P Donnie Jones is the league leader in net punting average (43.9 yards) and is tied for first with Oakland’s Shane Lechler in gross average (50.3). Jones’ has the longest punt of the year in the NFL — 80 yards at Seattle on Oct. 21.

>>How do Pro Bowl QBs spend their bye week? The highlight for Marc Bulger was trick-or-treating with his nephews and niece in Pittsburgh. “That was pretty much fun,” he said.

All for now . . .

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Re: Hobbling Holt cobbling together a nice season

God, they try to make us sound like we're a good team or something

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams