Receiver hopes to rebound against Seattle
BY STEVE KORTE
News-Democrat
ST. LOUIS - St. Louis Rams wide receiver Torry Holt got his nickname of "Big Game" by catching passes, lots of passes.

So when he's not getting the ball in his hands -- something that has not happened often the last two games -- he can't help feeling a little antsy.

"I wouldn't be a competitor and I wouldn't belong on the football field if I didn't feel a little antsy or wonder what is going on," Holt said.

Holt has been limited to 48 and 50 receiving yards in his last two games. It marks the first time since his rookie season in 1999 that he's had 50 or less receiving yards in back-to-back games.

Both the San Diego Chargers and the Kansas City Chiefs came into their games against the Rams with shutting down Holt as one of their main objectives.

The Chiefs played zone defense almost the entire game last Sunday, enabling them to double-team Holt by bringing a safety up behind him.

"You have to credit them," Holt said. "They were doing a lot of things, I guess, to take me away. They did it the entire game. I understand there are going to be some games like that. Hopefully, there won't be a lot of them like that.

"When it's going that way, I have to focus in on the other areas that I can help out our football team. That's blocking and being the best decoy route runner that I can be."

Holt didn't have a catch in the first half against the Chiefs, and he finished with only three catches.

Running back Steven Jackson had a career-high 13 catches as the Chiefs dared the Rams to dump the ball off.

"You certainly want to get a player like that involved more, and it's our job to do that," Rams coach Scott Linehan said of Holt. "I think we put him in positions to be first in progression, but I think they just did a good job of saying, 'You can throw the ball to Steven 13 times."'

Catching seven touchdown passes in his first six games this season has made Holt even more a target for opposing defenses.

"It's almost like I wish I had come into that (Kansas City)) game with only one or two touchdowns," Holt said. "What can you do? I'm just going out there and playing and trying to make things happen."

Holt is the only player in NFL history to rack up 1,300 or more receiving yards in each of his first six seasons in the league.

That streak could be in jeopardy since Holt is currently on pace for 1,248 yards.

"That's one of my goals," Holt said. "Thirteen hundred (yards), 90-plus catches, 10-plus touchdowns. I'm aware of that, but at the same time, I'm trying to go out and stay focused and try to help us win ballgames. If that comes, great."

Holt said he expects the Seattle Seahawks to play mostly man-to-man defense when the two NFC West squads meet for the second time this season at 3:15 p.m. Sunday at Qwest Field.

"They're going to pretty much play it straight up," Holt said. "This is a game where all the receivers as well as the backs will have some opportunities to make plays in the open field."

Holt had a spectacular juggling catch against Seattle safety Michael Boulware in the Seahawks' 30-28 win over the Rams on Oct. 15 at the Edward Jones Dome.

Boulware lost his starting job for two games after that contest, but he could be back in the lineup against the Rams because of a shoulder injury to J ordan Babineaux.

Boulware was quoted this week in the Seattle press as saying that Holt's catch made him a better player.

"I didn't hear that," Holt said. "That catch also made me a better player. It gave me more confidence. Going up and making a play like that at the moment I made it was great.

"It's just two good athletes going up and competing for the ball. I was able to come down on the better end of it."

Rams notes

Linehan said Pisa Tinoisamoa, who has missed the team's two previous games because of a broken hand, will be back in the starting lineup Sunday.

"Pisa looks fine," Linehan said. "Unless something changes between now and then, or during pregame warmup or something like that, he'll start the game."

Running back Kay-Jay Harris, signed earlier this week, will be active against the Seahawks. Harris will serve as the team's No. 3 running back behind Jackson and Stephen Davis as well as helping out on most special teams units.

The Rams' coaching staff still is deciding whether to have Brandon Green or Tony Bryant active as a backup defensive end.