Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Holt asks for his release...

Per Jim Thomas

Realizing he no longer fits in the teamís plans, seven-time Pro Bowl wide receiver Torry Holt has asked for his release from the Rams, league sources told the Post-Dispatch on Wednesday.

The Rams have been shopping Holt, 32, on the trade market, but so far there have been no takers. Holt is due a $1.25 million roster bonus on March 17, so itís unlikely he will be a Ram beyond then.

But with free-agent wide receivers being signed daily around the NFL, and hundreds of millions of dollars already spent six days into free agency, Holt is seeking some closure to his time in St. Louis.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Re: Holt asks for his release...

I knew this day would eventually come. It's really a shame. Wherever you wind up, Torry, I'll always remember you as a Ram and I'll never forget what you did for this team. Thank you very much and good luck with your future.

On a business standpoint, I was really hoping we'd be able to trade him and get something for it. I guess we'll see what happens...

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

farewell Torry...thanks for the years of great service.
    look forward to the day you are enshrined in Canton.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I hate to hear about this, but his time is up.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    I knew this day would eventually come. It's really a shame. Wherever you wind up, Torry, I'll always remember you as a Ram and I'll never forget what you did for this team. Thank you very much and good luck with your future.

On a business standpoint, I was really hoping we'd be able to trade him and get something for it. I guess we'll see what happens...
    look at my name! imagine how i feel..over the last two Christmases Ive received two Torry Holt autographs, guys my favorite player by a mile and it's depressing that he is going to be gone...but since he's definitely gonna be gone i was really hoping we would be able to receive a third-fourth round pick.

maineram is offline Registered User

Great memories Torry, too bad you wouldn't restructure. You'll land somewhere soon.

Maineram -
    and out of the ashes rise ...The Breakfast Club !

general counsel is offline Registered User

I dont blame holt for not restructuring and there is no reason to believe that anyone is going to give up anything of substance for holt because the league is pretty darn sure that the rams arent going to pay that bonus on march 17th and a trade only really works if someone can agree to a contract with holt.

The interesting question is whether the rams owe it to holt to release him now based on the history.

My personal view is that if the rams have been told definitively that he wont restructure, are sure that he doesnt fit into their plans and have tried to trade him without success, they might as well let him go. I dont blame the rams for waiting past the free agent deadline to try and work out a trade because they should do what is best for the organization, but if there really are no takers (which no one knows for sure) they might as well let him go now and give him the best shot to get the best deal elsewhere. If however, the rams still have reason to believe that they have a shot at getting some value for him, they should wait.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Rookie is offline Awaiting Email Conformation

Wow that sucks for you. Looks like time to pony up the $10 and create a new premium handle huh? LOL

I will miss Holt. Although he was spoiled winning a SBowl in his Rookie year. We will get over it faster than loosing Ike that is for sure.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    I knew this day would eventually come. It's really a shame.
    It is a shame because Holt has represented the Rams so well for so long, but the writing was on the wall, especially after some of the statements he made last year about playing elsewhere and the fact that the team has been shopping him around. It's kind of strange when I think about it, but I was never really a huge Holt fan over the years, although I wish him the best wherever he goes. He's given us some incredible moments.

FolsomFan is offline Registered User

So the Rams starting WR will be Donnie Avery and Dane Looker?

Maybe they will add a FA WR or draft one, but their WR group seems thin to me.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Many, many good memories from Torry. He spent his best years with the Rams. I can understand why he wants to be released now and I hope he can find a good team to play with.

This is a business and the FO has certainly shown us that in the past with Bruce.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I'm not certain I'd grant his wish just yet. If I am understanding the article correctly, holding on to him until the draft would cost the Rams $1.25 Million against the cap. It could be that there are teams that would give up a draft choice for him (maybe during draft weekend), but figure that they need not bother as the Rams are going to release him within two weeks anyway.

If $1.25 Million would buy us an extra 4th round pick or better, I'd make that trade.

Rookie is offline Awaiting Email Conformation

Avery , Burton, Crabtree?? Things that make you go Humm....

LongBlood is offline Registered User

If it was me...I won't release him. I haven't been following that situation much, but after the reports last yr this is pretty much what I've expected and known. The team needs to build for the future, and Crabtree has been at the top of my list since declaring; however, if I was a GM I wouldn't just release him. I'd try to deal him out of the division, and have his agent find a desirable team. Then pretty much try to workout a restructuring deal to trade him to a team of his choosing which his current deal is one of the main detractors from teams as of now. If I got a 4th rounder for him, I'd take it...but that's me.

general counsel is offline Registered User

I hear you avenger, but i think from ownerships perspective, its more than a matter of the cap, its also the cash and i dont think that they intend to pay the 1.25 million cash in the hopes that they might get a pick later, especially since it it exists at all, its likely only a mid or low round pick.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast