Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    viper is online now Registered User

Holt Came To Play Sunday!

Did anybody notice on Holt's first catch, that after catching the ball he made about 3 guys miss as he was doing everything he could to get get some yac? Whereas, normally he would automatically fall to the ground to avoid being hit. I think Torry took Martz's words to heart last week and decided there was more he could do. Too bad he went down, could have been fun to watch. I'll look forward to seeing him do that next week.

Did anybody see anyone else step up out of the norm? I'd have to give Coady kudo's as well.

Let's hope they keep it up!

Go Rams!!!
    Last edited by viper; -11-16-2004 at 12:44 AM.

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Re: Holt Came To Play Sunday!

Quote Originally Posted by viper3
    Did anybody notice on Holt's first catch, that after catching the ball he made about 3 guys miss as he was doing everything he could to get get some yac? Whereas, normally he would automatically fall to the ground to avoid being hit. I think Torry took Martz's words to heart last week and decided there was more he could do. Too bad he went down, could have been fun to watch. I'll look forward to seeing him do that next week.
    You must have watched that game on a different TV station than me. Holt was trying to bail and realized he was giving himself up too soon. Then he tried some asssine piroutte with his hand on the turf like a skateboarder's Xgame trick. He punked the RAC. Why? So he could save himself for the next time when it mattered more? Yeah right.

He took the hit over the middle like any man wearing a pink tutu would ... he dropped it and lay there laughing about it. Did he come to play after that? No. But lay that at the coach for saving him for the next Big Game. But how about that effort at keeping his feet in bounds for the slightly overthrown ball? Not a big game effort there either.

Frankly, he hasn't come to play since before he was seen yukking it up with his brother and Bly during the Detroit game last year. Where is all his hyped separation and route running skills when MB desperately needs a receiver to come open to avoid a sack? What he has done this year is replaceable. If he keeps "coming to play" like he has thus far, I'm all in favor of trading his pretty little pink smile for a MLB.

sbramfan is offline Registered User

Wow, 2 completely different points of view!

I see both. Holt came out to play, as did the rest of the rams, but he hasn't been a go-to guy this year.

To be technical: His sideline play is not as good as many, as he always tries to get that first foot down and then drag the second. (partly to not have to fall down). Which works great when you see the first one land in bounds, because all he has to do is tap the second. But I often have seen him make a catch where he needed to keep both feet together to stay in bounds, but he reached out the front foot to the white line. Curtis is no Torry Holt, but has shown great awareness with sideline catches. Holt may want to watch some film on the little guy...maybe it's the whole wonderlick thing?

There is obviously more coverage on Holt this year which is opening up Bruce, but after watching T.O. last night, it shouldn't matter. You throw to you best guy and make him go get it. He needs to step up.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by adarian_too
    You must have watched that game on a different TV station than me. Holt was trying to bail and realized he was giving himself up too soon. Then he tried some asssine piroutte with his hand on the turf like a skateboarder's Xgame trick. He punked the RAC. Why? So he could save himself for the next time when it mattered more? Yeah right.

He took the hit over the middle like any man wearing a pink tutu would ... he dropped it and lay there laughing about it. Did he come to play after that? No. But lay that at the coach for saving him for the next Big Game. But how about that effort at keeping his feet in bounds for the slightly overthrown ball? Not a big game effort there either.

Frankly, he hasn't come to play since before he was seen yukking it up with his brother and Bly during the Detroit game last year. Where is all his hyped separation and route running skills when MB desperately needs a receiver to come open to avoid a sack? What he has done this year is replaceable. If he keeps "coming to play" like he has thus far, I'm all in favor of trading his pretty little pink smile for a MLB.
    Holt, before getting hurt this week, was on pace for an 80 reception, 1,200 yard, 10 TD season.

Yeah, players like that are a dime a dozen.

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

Now you're ripping Torry Holt? Who next? Isaac Bruce?

viper is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by adarian_too
    It looked to me like Holt was actually trying to "make a football move" after the catch to gain more yardage, rather than just fall to the ground like he normally does. If he was indeed trying to get more yards, as I believe he was, although ineffective, at least he was trying to improve upon past tendencies. Again, I would attribute that to Martz calling out the players.

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ZigZagRam
    Now you're ripping Torry Holt? Who next? Isaac Bruce?
    Hey. I'm your typical what-have-you-done-lately fan. What can I say. As a fan it's my devil given right to criticize everyone other than myself.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengingHolt'sPlay
    Holt, before getting hurt this week, was on pace for an 80 reception, 1,200 yard, 10 TD season.

Yeah, players like that are a dime a dozen.
    80 receptions? 1200 yards? So what does that amount to again? 5 receptions for 75 yards per game? Not big game nor a big deal when you pass as often as the Rams do. But yeah, you're right, there aren't many receivers out there who wear pink tutus.

But that doesn't change the fact that the Rams need an impact MLB and trading Holt for one would work for me. As pass-happy as the Rams are, Curtis or McDonald could throw up 5 for 75 numbers just as easily. This year Holt has been pretty ordinary.

Quote Originally Posted by SB
    There is obviously more coverage on Holt this year which is opening up Bruce, but after watching T.O. last night, it shouldn't matter. You throw to your best guy and make him go get it. He needs to step up.
    And that is part of the point. TO is walking the walk after he talked the talk. Holt isn't. And hasn't for most of this year and the end of last. Big Game? More like big game bust. But go ahead and pamper and coddle him if you like. Who would want to do otherwise after paying him so much?

Give me Williams from Detroit. Boldin. Fitzgerald. Even TO. Big, bruising, fast receivers are the future daddies of these little punk'd CBs around the league right now.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by A2
    Big Game? More like big game bust. But go ahead and pamper and coddle him if you like. Who would want to do otherwise after paying him so much?
    I think what has me a little concerned is Holt's mindset when he comes back to the field after that big hit. I mean, let's face it, he's not exactly Evil Kneivel when it comes to sacrificing his body to make a big play. He tends to take a dive before he takes a hit, so now that he's taken a big hit, how does he respond? Will his arms get shorter, will his eyes be drifting to approaching DBs instead of watching the ball? Or will he realize that taking shots from the secondary is part of the job? If that shot gets in his head, we may see an even more cautious Holt on Sunday.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

elAcky Guest

I've always been in 2 minds about Holt... yes he can run routes and catch plenty of balls.. but too often he has hit the floor in order not to take a hit rather than take a chance at beating someone.. and then there is the issue of droping clutch passes.. in conclusion, good percentage player but Bruce or Moss he is not.

Not at all surprised with this weekends mind games

Anyone who would advocate getting rid of a guy like Torry Holt simply does not know squat about football. Period. End of story.

elAcky Guest

relax AV.. no-one said that... i think he is very valuable to this team.. but he has his shortcomings and we shouldn't be blinded by his stats.

RealRam is offline Registered User

What I'd like to know is whether TH will be okay to play this Sunday. We need him. :tough:

Quote Originally Posted by elAcky
    relax AV.. no-one said that... i think he is very valuable to this team.. but he has his shortcomings and we shouldn't be blinded by his stats.
    Actually, HollowMan adarian said exactly that... twice:

Quote Originally Posted by adarian too
    I'm all in favor of trading his pretty little pink smile for a MLB.

the Rams need an impact MLB and trading Holt for one would work for me.

elAcky Guest

didn't catch that one... not a bad idea.. fletcher for Holt - where do i sign !!

Quote Originally Posted by elAcky
    didn't catch that one... not a bad idea.. fletcher for Holt - where do i sign !!
    Not in a million years.

Ray Lewis... okay. Any other MLB, no way.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast