Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21
  1. #1
    ramsbruce's Avatar
    ramsbruce is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    FIRING SCHOTTY
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,718
    Rep Power
    52

    Holt Challenges Offensive Lineman

    ST. LOUIS (AP) -- Receiver Torry Holt blames the offensive line for much of the Rams' problems when they have the ball.

    Holt said Friday that the St. Louis line has to step up and protect quarterback Marc Bulger better.

    The offense ranks No. 32 in the league -- that's dead last. Bulger has been sacked 10 times and is on a pace to be sacked 80 times.

    "Those guys, the offensive line guys, have to continue to take more pride in what they're doing to keep the quarterback clean," Holt said after practice at Rams Park. "I can stand here and say what needs to be done and who needs to do what, but that's not going to solve anything.

    "It's going to come down to the guys up front that's protecting Marc and giving Steven [Jackson] running lanes and giving us time to get open in the secondary to make things happen. They have to continue to take a stronger initiative, a more sense of urgency to keep No. 10 off his back. If he continues to get smacked around, we won't be seeing No. 10 for long."

    Bulger, who acknowledged he is a little sore but not injured, said the sacks have to be reduced.

    "It's a lot of hits," Bulger said. "We don't want to continue that, so we try to get our running game going and open up passes and we've got to get in a rhythm to be balanced."

    The Seahawks (0-2) lead the league in sacks with nine.

    Coach Scott Linehan acknowledged the Rams (0-2) will have a be ready to block because of the defense and the crowd noise in Seattle.

    "It's a really tough challenge and they've always really been on their game at their place," Linehan said. "That's probably one of the best home-field advantages, especially for a defensive line, because of the crowd noise. That's going to be probably our toughest test and biggest matchup question of the game right there."

    Last year, the Rams lost their first eight games en route to a 3-13 season. Holt said the club can't go down that road again.

    To rebound, they have to win at Quest Field, which has not been a hospitable place for the Rams, who have lost the last six meetings with Seattle.

    "A win there would be huge for us," Holt said. "I mean, hell, if we won at Frontenac Mall [an upscale St. Louis shopping plaza] if would be great. It don't matter where we win at. Heck, we just need a win whether it's on the road, at Frontenac Mall or the Edward Jones Dome or here at Rams Park.

    "We need a victory. It would mean a tremendous amount to our football team."

    Holt provided a big push in last week's loss to the visiting New York Giants. On his back, Holt caught a pass in the end zone for 45 yards. The score pulled the Rams within 20-13 early in the fourth quarter.

    It was the first touchdown of the season for St. Louis, which has been outscored 79-16 in two games.

    "It was a situation there where a play needed to be made," Holt said. "Marc put it up. [Safety Kenny] Phillips did a good job for the Giants. My eyes never left the ball. I did the best I could to come down with it. Once I had corralled it, I was saying to myself and I said to Steven [Jackson] last night on his radio show, I was telling the audience that we would have been on that ground for an hour because I was not letting that ball get out of my hands."

    Holt kept the ball for his collection.

    "Coach talked about someone sparking the fire and some energy being put into the building," Holt said. "I was going to do whatever I could to help our football team get things turned around."

    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    The backhanded compliments about Austin Davis are amusing.

  2. #2
    r8rh8rmike's Avatar
    r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    29 Palms, Ca.
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,724
    Rep Power
    129

    Re: Holt Challenges Offensive Lineman

    Holt is certainly calling out the right group of guys because any success the Rams might achieve will be dependant on how well the offensive line plays.

  3. #3
    makersncoke's Avatar
    makersncoke is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    mo
    Age
    47
    Posts
    659
    Rep Power
    21

    Re: Holt Challenges Offensive Lineman

    How many times will Baron get flagged for false starts this week? He did good last week but I fear it's short lived.

  4. #4
    eldfan's Avatar
    eldfan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Greenville N.C.
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,655
    Rep Power
    25

    Re: Holt Challenges Offensive Lineman

    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce View Post
    ST. LOUIS (AP) -- Receiver Torry Holt blames the offensive line for much of the Rams' problems when they have the ball.

    Holt said Friday that the St. Louis line has to step up and protect quarterback Marc Bulger better.

    The offense ranks No. 32 in the league -- that's dead last. Bulger has been sacked 10 times and is on a pace to be sacked 80 times.

    "Those guys, the offensive line guys, have to continue to take more pride in what they're doing to keep the quarterback clean," Holt said after practice at Rams Park. "I can stand here and say what needs to be done and who needs to do what, but that's not going to solve anything.

    "

    You would hope the OL would see this as a challenge in step up.
    :ramlogo:

  5. #5
    sig51's Avatar
    sig51 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Te Awamutu
    Posts
    98
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: Holt Challenges Offensive Lineman

    Yeah, the inside of the line more than anything. Incognito got embarrassed by the giants defensive tackles. I want to see Barron try to stop Kearney though.

  6. #6
    eldfan's Avatar
    eldfan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Greenville N.C.
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,655
    Rep Power
    25

    Re: Holt Challenges Offensive Lineman

    Quote Originally Posted by sig51 View Post
    Yeah, the inside of the line more than anything. Incognito got embarrassed by the giants defensive tackles. I want to see Barron try to stop Kearney though.
    I thought Incognito was going to have a brake out season he has been disappointing to this point.
    :ramlogo:

  7. #7
    Mooselini's Avatar
    Mooselini is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    3,724
    Rep Power
    28

    Re: Holt Challenges Offensive Lineman

    The interior line men are the problem. We can't have Pace watch two defesive linemen. Leave him one on one and I think he can handle his job.

    If Bell is back I think that would be a pretty solid left side of the line. We need Cogs in the middle and Greco on the RG spot. Change things up. The last two combinations failed.

  8. #8
    hoosierdaddy's Avatar
    hoosierdaddy is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Niagara Falls, Ontario
    Age
    24
    Posts
    94
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Holt Challenges Offensive Lineman

    Good Job Torry.

  9. #9
    punahou's Avatar
    punahou is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    HAWAII
    Posts
    674
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Holt Challenges Offensive Lineman

    Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Holt is certainly calling out the right group of guys because any success the Rams might achieve will be dependant on how well the offensive line plays.

    Think of this--

    every NFL player:

    runs a standarized 40 time for their position

    has a certain amount of physical strength based on their position

    and demsonstrates a certain level of quickness/dexterity based on their position.

    Based on that assumption, its safe to say that every player in the NFL
    has a comparable skill set; and there shouldnt be a large disparity between the players and teams.

    So what's wrong with this team?

    The manner in which they get prepared in and out of season.

    The manner in which they are motivated--- attitude.
    The Addage "success breeds success" is so true. What success has Linewho enjoyed? Not much in the NFL.

    The implementation of their system.

    Theres more, but these 3 reasons are the primary-tertiary factors that have lead to the teams' demise.

    And it starts, originates, and stems from Linewho and his group.

    Look at the injuries the have suffered the last 2 years--- nothing is coincidence. Linewho comes in, exerts his schemes and method of coaching, and what do we get? Nothing but mass injuries. I am not convinced that in game physical injuries of the magnitude the Rams seem to suffer are happen-chance.


    Anyhow-- there is no way the OL is going to perform for a coach that hasnt proved he deserves anyone on this teams respect.

  10. #10
    Guam rammer's Avatar
    Guam rammer is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Guam
    Age
    45
    Posts
    850
    Rep Power
    18

    Re: Holt Challenges Offensive Lineman

    We'll have our work cut out for us again. Seattle's line is no slouch. With Kerney and Peterson at the ends the pressure will be similar to what we've already seen from our last two opponents and maybe even worse. The Seaweeds lead the league in sacks And those linebackers are pretty solid against the run. So if anything is gonna happen its because our line finally pulled their heads out, and our play calling was maybe less predictable.

  11. #11
    laram0's Avatar
    laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Age
    57
    Posts
    9,277
    Rep Power
    109

    Re: Holt Challenges Offensive Lineman

    Quote Originally Posted by makersncoke View Post
    How many times will Baron get flagged for false starts this week? He did good last week but I fear it's short lived.
    I would say the over/under is 3.

  12. #12
    makersncoke's Avatar
    makersncoke is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    mo
    Age
    47
    Posts
    659
    Rep Power
    21

    Re: Holt Challenges Offensive Lineman

    Quote Originally Posted by punahou View Post
    Think of this--

    every NFL player:

    runs a standarized 40 time for their position

    has a certain amount of physical strength based on their position

    and demsonstrates a certain level of quickness/dexterity based on their position.

    Based on that assumption, its safe to say that every player in the NFL
    has a comparable skill set; and there shouldnt be a large disparity between the players and teams.

    So what's wrong with this team?

    The manner in which they get prepared in and out of season.

    The manner in which they are motivated--- attitude.
    The Addage "success breeds success" is so true. What success has Linewho enjoyed? Not much in the NFL.

    The implementation of their system.

    Theres more, but these 3 reasons are the primary-tertiary factors that have lead to the teams' demise.

    And it starts, originates, and stems from Linewho and his group.

    Look at the injuries the have suffered the last 2 years--- nothing is coincidence. Linewho comes in, exerts his schemes and method of coaching, and what do we get? Nothing but mass injuries. I am not convinced that in game physical injuries of the magnitude the Rams seem to suffer are happen-chance.


    Anyhow-- there is no way the OL is going to perform for a coach that hasnt proved he deserves anyone on this teams respect.
    Great points, I would add though that Pace is the only lineman who has any skill on this line. Baron is not bad but he is out of position and off balance causing him to have to hold, and the interior line has poor technique and misses assignments. To add to you point on the injuries, when you use poor blocking technique on a 300lb man, you are going to get hurt. It is no coincidence that when Jim Hannifen retired so did our O-line.

  13. #13
    NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    new jersey
    Posts
    2,338
    Rep Power
    73

    Re: Holt Challenges Offensive Lineman

    Makersncoke has it exactly right. This line isn't gonna' make anyone forget the "Hogs" anytime soon. Only Pace is a very good player- and he's been nicked up. Barron is a huge disappointment whose mental mistakes are alarming. He needs to get his head out of his rear end. The rest of those guys are stopgap at best.

    Torry Holt is right in calling them out. He's a winner and a leader. He didn't rip them unfairly- he rightfully stated the unquestionable truth; that these guys have to take more pride in what they're doing, get better and give the playmakers a chance. Bulger on his back has been a too familiar sight the past two years.

  14. #14
    r8rh8rmike's Avatar
    r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    29 Palms, Ca.
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,724
    Rep Power
    129

    Re: Holt Challenges Offensive Lineman

    Quote Originally Posted by punahou View Post
    Anyhow-- there is no way the OL is going to perform for a coach that hasnt proved he deserves anyone on this teams respect.
    So you're saying the players on the offensive line are going to purposely not give their best effort because they don't respect the coach? I couldn't disagree more, but if you 're right, those players have no business playing football in the NFL. Respect for themselves, their teammates and their obligations as professionals supersede any negative feelings they may have against their head coach.

  15. #15
    Goldenfleece's Avatar
    Goldenfleece is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    3,586
    Rep Power
    60

    Re: Holt Challenges Offensive Lineman

    As professionals, they ought to go out there and try to perform no matter who is in charge. I agree with Torry that these guys do need to take a little more pride in keeping Bulger clean. They've got a job to do. Besides, if they don't perform, their jobs are on the line as much as Linehan's.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Rams line ranked 22 and 2nd in NFC West
    By 39thebeast in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: -06-21-2008, 12:29 PM
  2. Replies: 15
    Last Post: -07-11-2007, 06:43 PM
  3. Holt Uses Injury to Refocus on Football
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: -06-14-2007, 07:17 PM
  4. Torry Holt - Big Game, Big Impact
    By RamsFan16 in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: -06-06-2006, 09:11 PM
  5. Big Game Headed for Another Big Season
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: -12-10-2005, 02:44 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •