Terrence Holt plays free safety for Lions
BY STEVE KORTE
News-Democrat

ST. LOUIS - St. Louis Rams wide receiver Torry Holt's relationship with his little brother, Detroit Lions free safety Terrence Holt, is more about mutual admiration than sibling rivalry.

The Holt brothers will go against each other when the Rams play the Detroit Lions on Monday night at Ford Field in a preseason game.

"When I watch him on film, I always get a little choked up, a little teared up," Holt said. "Seeing him as a little youth running around, and now he's a professional athlete and I have the opportunity to go against him.

"Man, it just brings a lot of joy, a lot of smiles to my face. I'm just honored to be his brother."

It's not the first time that Holt brothers have been on opposing teams. The Lions beat the Rams 30-20 on Dec. 28, 2003, in Terrence Holt's rookie season.

Holt said there has been no trash talk even though he's spoken with his brother by phone several times this week.

"Thus far, it has been a lot of praise to each other," Holt said. "He's talked highly of our offense and how well we run and how precise and quick we are. I told him about how well they looked defensively and how well he's looked. He's been very active back there.

"I'm sure as the week shortens, things will get heated up. He'll feel like he has an edge, and as we continue to watch film, I'll feel like I have an edge. Once we get out there on the field, I'm sure we'll mix it up a little bit."

Terrence Holt has had a more difficult road in establishing himself in the NFL than his older brother.

Terrence Holt was a fifth-round pick in the 2003 NFL draft. He had 17 special teams tackles last season, and he's moved to the top of the depth chart at free safety this season.

"The patience that he has shown to continue to work hard and earn that starting spot at free safety, nobody gave him nothing," Holt said. "He earned his spot. I'm excited. I'm looking forward to going up there and visiting with him and then going out there on the football field and putting it on the line."

Somber reminder

Rams right guard Adam Timmerman said the death of San Francisco ***** offensive lineman Thomas Herrion serves as a reminder of how physically demanding the NFL can be.

Herrion collapsed and died in the locker room after a game last Saturday.

"It's a terrible thing, and of course right away, everybody wants answers," Timmerman said. "What happened? Why? All that stuff. So far it has been kind of inconclusive. That's a tough thing. You just don't ever want to see that."

Timmerman said players are well-aware of the risk for injury in the NFL, yet they seldom think about their own mortality.

"As far as the physicality of the game, everybody is aware of it," Timmerman said. "But, to the point of death, it's a very rare thing, so you don't think about it a whole lot."

Quick hits

Offensive tackle Grant Williams was back practicing Thursday after missing two weeks because of a back injury.

Rams coach Mike Martz refrained from having his squad running wind sprints Thursday like he did the previous day.

Offensive guard Tom Nutten missed practice Thursday because of illness.

Martz said Nutten received two bags of IV fluids Wednesday night and again Thursday morning.