general counsel is offline Registered User

Holt, groce and injuries for monday night

I would sit both holt and groce on monday night. I would also limit Leonard in a big way if his back flares up again at all. I wouldnt play bruce either.

Here is my thinking. The odds of winning this game are very very low. I look at the season big picture as a marathon, not a sprint. We are still very much alive in the division race, but in order to be competitive, we MUST win the two upcoming games at home before the bye. New Orleanes and Jacksonville are both very winnable games at home, but as we have learned with the rams this year, nothing is easy. We MUST be as close to full strength as possible for those two home games and then get the rest needed over the two weeks and come out ready against seattle on the road.

Having holt and groce play on monday night and risking further injury which could put them out much longer is a very low percentage move. Unless deacon jones and merlin olsen are going to suit up for this game in prime form, i think we are just playing a much better team than us on the road. No reason to send your wounded warriors charging into battle to get killed in what is most likely a lost cause. Without holt and groce we are NOT competitive in the long run. Why risk getting them hurt worse for no real gain. If they were probable i would have a different view, but this isnt about a bump or bruise, a hamstring is a very tricky injury and the sight of holt hobbling around on the field makes me a nervous wreck.

Any thoughts from the group on this. My theory: Live to fight another day.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

sbramfan is offline Registered User

Re: Holt, groce and injuries for monday night

Here is my thinking. The odds of winning this game are very very low. I look at the season big picture as a marathon, not a sprint. We are still very much alive in the division race, but in order to be competitive, we MUST win the two upcoming games at home before the bye.
    which is why I think OJ should get the start this week. I have yet to see that bringing in Furry has made any difference in pass coverage. Don't get me wrong, he's better than Hawthorne, but it's still ugly.

If I'm Vitt, I would almost make a test out of this game....here's how. Play Holt and Groce, etc... early on and see if we can make a game out of this thing. But if it starts to get a little ugly, then just pull the guys who are nursing injuries, and also put in OJ and Carter to see if the pass coverage gets any better. Perhaps they will be out of position a lot, but we might see the potential, AND get them some valuable playing time heading into these 2 games that are must wins at home.

There needs to be change made in the secondary. Isn't this the obvious thing to try? OJ? and IMHO, Carter over Arch.
    Last edited by sbramfan; -10-14-2005 at 11:37 AM.

I too like the idea of the kids getting time. I believe that they will get plenty of it. Much as i hate to say it, i fear that we are going to give up 50 points. I see no evidence that we will be able to get any pressure on manning and if that is the case, our dbs are going to get absolutely killed.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

RamWraith is offline Registered User

I disagree.

We are in a must situation now. This is a winnable game, laying down now sends the wrong message.

Jason, why do you think this is a must win situation? I am not suggesting we lay down, only that we try to play for the most wins over the course of the season and injury status is a huge consideration in that regard. Before anything at all went wrong with this team, i thought this was the single toughest game on the sked all year anyway.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Well, I hope everyone can at least sit through and watch the whole game. I know I will, unless the network changes over at halftime to Annie or something.

Jake, will you keep watching if they switch to heidi?

I hope no one views my pessimism as thinking that i wont support the squad 100%. i will support it as much as anyone and will of course watch it all, good bad or ugly.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

There needs to be change made in the secondary. Isn't this the obvious thing to try? OJ? and IMHO, Carter over Arch.
    Carter over Arch? I dont think so. Arch is a guy that I always want on the field. Yes he does struggle in coverage sometimes, but he makes big plays. He gave us a win last season against the Bucs with his fumble return and he gave us two wins this season with the sack against Arizona and the INT against Tennessee. I just dont understand how you can justify benching the best player in the secondary for a rookie.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Even though I feel like the Colts should win this game upsets do happen. I will watch every second of the game and pray for the upset !

:clanram:

rampete is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    Jason, why do you think this is a must win situation? I am not suggesting we lay down, only that we try to play for the most wins over the course of the season and injury status is a huge consideration in that regard. Before anything at all went wrong with this team, i thought this was the single toughest game on the sked all year anyway.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    given anything can happen in a course of a game (manning may have an off-day, bulger may have the best game of his career, s. jackson may run crazy on the colts cover-2, etc, etc...), i'd play to win and that means fielding the best available players from the roster...

hell, the colts may be thinking all they have to do is show up...stranger things have been known to happen in this league...

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    Jake, will you keep watching if they switch to heidi?

I hope no one views my pessimism as thinking that i wont support the squad 100%. i will support it as much as anyone and will of course watch it all, good bad or ugly.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Ah, Heidi was the girl I meant to say. LOL

BTW, it was meant as no knock to your Ram loyalty. I'm just hoping the game isn't so ugly that we're forced to turn it off.

talkstoangels61 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamJackson39
    Carter over Arch? I dont think so. Arch is a guy that I always want on the field. Yes he does struggle in coverage sometimes, but he makes big plays. He gave us a win last season against the Bucs with his fumble return and he gave us two wins this season with the sack against Arizona and the INT against Tennessee. I just dont understand how you can justify benching the best player in the secondary for a rookie.

I would play 2 linebackers and move arch to the line or give him freedom to roam! Play the rookies carter,Atogwe and Bartell. See if Tory can go and if not we can line up our other wr's and we can get Maeshall moire into the game! Use jackson and Marshall! Might not need to be pass happy this week!...............Furry is like most of you said1 A team player but, i think that the others will be just as good if not better at FS........................Its only MF's first year back there so what makes you think that he is any better than the others?...............If i were coach i think i'd play the guys thats had more experience at safety than a wr trying to fill the spot!.........Fisher better start playing or id yank his arse out quick and install Bartell...................