Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By MauiRam

Thread: Holt is helping out Rams ..

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Holt is helping out Rams ..

BY JIM THOMAS May 25, 2011 12:10 am

For two days this week at Lindenwood University, Torry Holt has played the role of volunteer coach, eagerly helping out the young Rams receivers corps during informal, player-organized workouts.

Holt may consider coaching on a more permanent basis in the future — just not now. That's because Holt hasn't closed the door on playing again in the NFL. He hasn't turned in retirement papers, and would like to play again in 2011.

"I haven't retired," Holt said. "I'm going to continue to keep my options open. I'm training right now. So if something comes about — great. If not, hey, the NFL Network has been good to me. They gave me an opportunity to talk football, stay around the game. We'll see."

Chosen No. 6 overall by St. Louis in 1999, Holt was one of the key cogs in the Greatest Show on Turf teams of a decade ago. As a rookie, Holt caught a touchdown in the Rams' Super Bowl XXXIV victory over Tennessee. Then came an NFL-record six consecutive seasons of 1,300-plus yards receiving (2000-05), and an NFL-record six consecutive seasons of 90-plus receptions (2002-07).

At that rate, it looked like Holt had a chance to get within shouting distance of Jerry Rice's receiving records. But the Rams' offense gradually deteriorated and recurring knee problems cut into Holt's productivity. He was released by the Rams following the 2008 season, and spent the '09 season in Jacksonville before being picked up by New England in April 2010.

But Holt suffered a season ending knee injury last August with the Patriots and it looked like his career might be over.

"When I left for New England last year, I was a little hesitant," Holt said. "Iffy. Ups and downs. Didn't quite know what I wanted to do."

He spent most of last season working as an analyst for the NFL Network. But this February, Holt paid a visit to noted orthopedic surgeon James Andrews.

"Sat with him," Holt said. "Had a great consultation with him. Great surgery — he cleaned some things up. And he gave me a great deal of confidence."

Holt said he asked Andrews what he thought about the possibility of trying to play another year or two.

"He said, 'That's solely up to you. But if you're asking me, go ahead,' " Holt said. " 'It's just a matter of how much you want to endure. How much you want to keep going through it.' "

So while Holt's purpose at Lindenwood was mainly to coach the receivers at the request of cornerback Ron Bartell, Holt wanted to test the knee.

"I didn't come up here for it to be about me," Holt said. "But I did come up to get some work and see where I stood. ... And coming out of these last two days I feel good. The knee feels good."

And then, in almost dramatic fashion, Holt paused and added: "Just to clear it up for you, if it means anything to anybody. I'm able to work and do the things that I'm accustomed to doing to get ready (for a season)."

Holt, who lives in Raleigh, N.C., says he hasn't had to limit his offseason training and has experienced only limited swelling and done limited icing with the knee.

"If I play another down, great," Holt said. "If I don't, I've really enjoyed playing in the National Football League. I really enjoyed what the game did for me and my family. And I hope I was able to give the game what it gave me. As well as the city of St. Louis. I love the city."

Holt returned home to North Carolina following Tuesday's practice, but enjoyed his time spent with his former team at Lindenwood.

"It was really fun," he said. "It's still in me. I tell you, I still love the game. I still love the fact that I can get out here and still work at the game. Then I'm working with these young guys. And to see the progress that the guys made in those two days was good."

Coach Holt kept it relatively simple, stressing the basics.

"Starts and stances," Holt said. "Doing drills without the ball. Depth of routes. Concentration, with eyes up the field. Those little techniques that you've got to have to be really efficient in the National Football League."

The young Rams receivers were all ears.

"I got the opportunity to meet him one time before, and having the opportunity to work with him now is phenomenal," Danny Amendola said. "He's played for so long and played at such a high level, everything he says you listen to, because he's right all the time."

Because of his brief time in the New England offense, Holt also was able to provide some insight for the present day Rams about the Josh McDaniels' offense. McDaniels, the Rams' new offensive coordinator, learned the basics of his scheme as an assistant with Bill Belichick in New England.

"I was making the point to them, that in Josh McDaniels' system, he likes very efficient routes; the ability to get open," Holt said. "Obviously, he's really good. (Charlie) Weis and those (New England) guys, they've got a good system."

Holt also pointed out that with the exception of Randy Moss' first three seasons with New England, the Patriots never had a true No. 1 receiver under Belichick.

"But they've had a collective group of guys that understood football, and understood the offense and what they were trying to do in terms of concept," Holt said. "That's what you've got to have."

And Holt's two-day impression of Rams receivers is that they may have similar ingredients.

"They want to learn," Holt said. "They want to be challenged. And that's what I was trying to do to them in these past couple days. I thought (Brandon) Gibson looked really good. Amendola looked good. Plays really fast. Runs good routes.

"Austin Pettis for a big guy can really transition in and out of his breaks. He's a big target. I think he'll be an excellent target for Sam (Bradford). Greg Salas looked good. He's got some quick-twitch fibers. He's got to change some of his running motion. The tight end, (Lance) Kendricks, man he is put together. He looks good. Very athletic."

Apparently, Holt also showed the young Rams he still has a little something left in the tank as a pass catcher.

"He was doing something today," Amendola said after Tuesday's practice. "He ran a route and he was talking in the middle of his route telling us how to do it. And he ran a great route at full speed. And somebody was guarding him too, which was pretty amazing."

Torry Holt is offline Registered User

Re: Holt is helping out Rams ..

I read somewhere that roster could be expand to 56 men if lockout drags on. If Holt is healthy enough to play some snaps it could be great to add him to teach young receivers and provide a sure handed target to Bradford. Moreover it could be a classy move by the organization to have Holt for his last season.
    I'm totally biased when talking about Torry Holt and I know the current staff cut him, but with a low salary it could be an awesome recruit.
    Si vous croyez en vous, que vous avez de la fierté, et que vous ne lâchez jamais, vous serez un gagnant.
    Le prix de la victoire est chère, mais la récompense en vaut la peine.

AtlantaRamFan is online now Registered User

I love knowing that a great Ram like Torry Holt is working with our offense. I had forgotten he had any experience in McDaniel's system, but that turned out to be a plus. Even if the roster is expanded, I don't know that he's still playing at high enough a level to justify putting him on the field, BUT, I would absolutely love for the Rams to add him on as a consultant for these young guys. Maybe they can offer him something like that if he doesn't get any playing offers.

Trevor is offline Registered User

All time favorite ram. Wishful thinking. But I want him to play his last season, if he plays, with the Rams..

Keenum is offline Registered User

Hey, if he's healthy and good to go bring him in! If he's not healthy, sounds like he's ready to move on and probably head to the NFL Network.
    I'm glad he's helping the younger WRs out though, there is no doubt they can learn a LOT from him.

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

Sign him!
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

Trevor is offline Registered User

If we were to sign him. He should take his Jersey number back because Gilyard is making 81 look bad.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I'm glad to see Holt doing some coaching, although at this point I think that is probably the extent to which we could really expect him to contribute at this point. Personally, I think his playing days are done. Smart, classy, but he has clearly lost a step or two.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    I'm glad to see Holt doing some coaching, although at this point I think that is probably the extent to which we could really expect him to contribute at this point. Personally, I think his playing days are done. Smart, classy, but he has clearly lost a step or two.
    Yes, that would seem to be the reality. Nevertheless, there's a chance ... and even if does not pan out, it's nice to see Holt being good buddies with the Rams organization, particularly as a potential, positive influence on the WRs.